PDA

View Full Version : Labrador Retrievers?

i_rescue
08-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone. I'm looking for information on Labradors. I've noticed lots of people here own labs and would like to hear some stuff about them. What do the owners think of the breed? How high is their energy level? Do they tend to run away? How much grooming do they require and how much do they shed? How much training do they require? Are they easy to train? If there are any websites you can point me toward that would be great. Thanks.

Muddy4paws
08-23-2006, 06:49 PM
I have a 8 year old black lab, she was very ill as a puppy which was the result of a BYB unfortunatly and she was put on steriods as a puppy and we was told she wouldnt last the first year but shes suprised us all! So one thing I would definatly recomend would be to get from a respectable breeder, She was very easy to train but you need to keep it fun and I find that alot of training classes had quite a few labs!

About shedding, my dog sheds TONS but I find that taking her to the groomers for a blasting sessions seems to really help but she still needs lots of brushing and combing out and she still sheds more! so if you dont like a shedding breed I really wouldnt get a lab ;)

I cant say much about energy levels as puppies because mine was so ill she acted like an old lady :( The puppies I have seen though, they are crazy so you'll have a hyper pup to keep up with

zoomer
08-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Labs are great dogs! I haven't met one that runs off and they are easy to train but shed a lot!

Karen
08-23-2006, 07:58 PM
They are adorable as puppies, and very high energy as they grow. If you can make it through the first couple years, you'll have a great, much calmer dog. Or, of course, you can opt for an already-grown-up Lab at most shelters, they are, on the whole, a wonderful, sweet breed, will retreive until your arm is ready to fall off, love water, and, depending on the individual dog, can be sharp as a whip (which a happy lab's tail feels like against bare legs), or dumb as a rock, but are great dogs!

*LabLoverKEB*
08-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Labs are GREAT dogs! Very overbred dog breed though, I must say! I own two labrador retrievers, one yellow, one black. Both are females. Sadie is the black lab, she's now 10 years old. She's the perfect dog ever! Rita is the yellow lab, she's about 5 months old now, so she's still a pup!
Labs are very high energy dogs. They mostly are fairly easy dogs to train, but some are very hard-headed.

They shed lots, and lots! They need to be brushed a few times a week, just to keep to shedding down, and to mantain a healthy coat.

As an owner of two labradors, I personally adore the breed. But, I would love to own several other breeds sometime in my life.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labrador.htm
http://www.justlabradors.com/

.sarah
08-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi, welcome to the board! I have three Labradors - Buck, Luka, and Nova.

What do the owners think of the breed?
I can't imagine my life without a Lab. My life would be so boring without their silliness, their antics, and their cuddles and kisses. They are absolutely perfect for me.

How high is their energy level?
HIGH. Usually though, they are not hyper-active. They require daily exercise but are also very adaptable, so when you are having a bad day, they are fine cuddling on the couch all day.

Do they tend to run away?
Only if they aren't properly trained. With lots of consistent training, they can become a very well rounded dog. My Labs are all great off leash, even my 7 month old puppy. Buck and Nova both have urges to run up to people or dogs they see, so I don't let them off leash where I know they will be. Usually they will come when called but sometimes they do have selective hearing.

My Labs have no desires to go out of the doors when I open them, except for the back doors. I guess they know they've got it good here. I can stand at the front door with it wide open and they will do nothing but look outside.

They never have dug out, and I never hear of Labs digging out of their yards.

How much grooming do they require and how much do they shed?
Grooming is minimal. As for the shedding ...

http://www.kelrobin.com/images/lab-shedding.jpg

;)

How much training do they require? Are they easy to train?
Like all dogs, they require consistent training throughout their lives. They learn tricks and commands fairly quickly. Buck and Nova can pick up on things very quickly. Luka takes a little longer, but she's "special" :p

They are the easiest breed I've had to train and with firm commands and lots of praise, they do very well in obedience. I took Nova and Luka to obedience classes but am training Buck on my own, and he is doing great! At 7 months he can reliably stay, which is a biggie for me.

Probably the most complete website on Labradors
Labrador Retriever Articles (http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html)

If you're interested in hearing from other Lab owners, you can join this message board. My username over there is Sarah Beth :)
Labrador Retriever Chat Board (http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/index.php?)

luvofallhorses
08-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I have two lab mixes, Jenny and Rocky. they are the best dogs ever! :)

what do I think of the breed : I think they are a great breed and I am definitely a lab person. they are so gentle and make great family dogs IMO. they are very loyal. :) l

how high is their energy level? like .sarah said HIGH, but I think it gets better when they are older..but you do have to ware them out. Jenny is 8 now and Rocky is almost 10. let me tell you they were hyper puppies.

Do they run away? no, Rocky is good off-leash..well Jenny not so much. She gets out once in a blue moon.

how much to they shed? not a lot, well of course they shed, but Jenny sheds more than Rocky. I would say average.

and .sarah posted great sites! :)

*iluvskipper*
08-23-2006, 08:22 PM
hmm no offense to any lab-lovers but idk i guess i don't really like how hyper most labs are i guess i'd just rather have a golden retriever!! :D

k9krazee
08-23-2006, 08:48 PM
I absolutely love Labs! My Aunt breeds and owns Labs, she participates in tracking, field trials, agility and dock diving...they are definitely a versitle breed! I have one little Labby mix boy and he is the best dog I could ask for.

The only think I would really stress is make sure you find a good reputable breeder (one with a history of outstanding temperments, good hips, elbows, eyes, etc). Since they are so popular there are many horrible representations of the breed because of back yard breeders.

I really wouldn't call Labs hyper, they just have a lot of energy. I know if Jack (my Lab x) doesn't get a walk everyday he becomes much more restless and tends to get bored and destroys things.

As far as shedding goes...Jack really doesn't shed too much but my Aunt's Labs can shed like crazy. I think it also depends on what kind of food you feed too.

I would also suggest looking in shelters, there are tons of Labs and lab mixes that need homes, its practically the only breed of dog in shelters around here and most are really good dogs. Thats where I found my Jack dog!

MajesticCollies
08-23-2006, 09:33 PM
I love the chocolate labs. Everyone has givin some great insight and I really can only elaborate on one thing. If you are looking to get a Lab, Beware of BYB. The health line of the lab has decreased due to these people. When looking in the paper for a lab and you come across an add that says: AKC Registered Labs $250 PLEASE BEWARE. Any one with top pedigree labs would never sell so cheap. A good breeder easily invests over $1500 just to raise the litter to be healthy. Ask the breeder to see the results of the temperment test. Each one of my buyers always got a copy of thier puppies temperment test results. If there is not a temperment test available then something isn't right with the breeder. Now if your worried about shedding just brush regularly and make sure you suppliment with Norwegien Kelp for the life of your dog. That will cut down on shedding.

dragonfly
08-24-2006, 12:20 AM
I have a lab mix, and he's a great dog. He's pretty active and he actually did dig his way out of the yard the other day. Naughty, naughty. He's smart but very stubborn. My guy doesn't shed that much but that's probably because he's a mix. He's great with the kids but does jump on them sometimes, we are working on it.

I do have to agree that if you decide to go with a breeder be very careful that you find a really good one. Labs are very overbread in my area too. Every single day there are several free young labs in the paper. Too many BYBs breeding and selling to anyone with the cash. Good luck in finding a dog that suits you.

finn's mom
08-24-2006, 08:36 AM
My lab, Finn, is a wonderful dog. He's not hyper, but, does have a lot of energy. He's great indoors, has never been hyperactive. Not all labs love the water, but, keep in mind that MOST of them are obsessed with it. Finn is happiest when he's in the water. He will retrieve all day long. As for running away, Finn would if he wasn't trained. He's still not 100%, meaning I wouldn't walk him off leash on a sidewalk next to a street. If he saw a squirrel or cat, he'd be gone. But, he's getting better. He comes back to me every time I call him now, but, I don't unleash him unless he has room to run around safely. We have an open range area that we take our dogs to, and, they are able to run a good 100 feet in any direction without worries (I think the park is a couple hundred acres). They do require CONSISTENT training. Don't go a day without working with the dog. Finn responds best to food rewards, praise just tends to get him excited. ;) He sheds a lot, but, as far as grooming...I just have a comb that I use once a day, usually about five minutes. And, that helps a lot. Training is essential in having a pleasant dog, no matter what the breed. Good luck.

ComedyDevil
08-24-2006, 12:57 PM
What it's like living with a Lab

10 minutes in the life of a Lab

I hear it! I hear the car! HER car! And she's coming this way! Oh, oh, I must run in and grab a gift! I must greet her with a gift! Oh, 'BONK', missed the step. No matter, I must hurry. Move over, doggy door! She's coming, she's coming! Gift, gift, where, what, oh, oh, oh, ah! A plastic bottle she drinks from, right here on top of the container they call trash! Oh, perfect. She's coming, she's coming! Oh, oh, oh … The door! I hear the door sound that sounds right before she comes in! Oh, it's OPENING! SHE'S HOME!

Oh, oh, 'wiggle, wiggle, wiggle', I cannot be still! You're home! And look, look, I have this nice bottle! Oh, oh, you're home! YOU'RE HOME! I have missed you so much, you've been gone hours, weeks, days, years! And so much has happened! A dog ran by and I chewed a tree and Pluto slept under the house and it rained a little! Oh, oh, oh! You're home, you're home! And you're touching me! I can't stand it, it's so marvelous! Oh, and you're speaking! "murble, murble, good boy, murble, murble." YES! Your happy voice. Oh, I'm about to burst! I'm so happy, happy, happy! Yes! I want to jump! I'm not supposed to jump, but oh, oh, just a little jump! Oh, I cannot be still. I'll roll over and wiggle on my back! Oh, yes! She's rubbing me-my tummy, my head, my sides! Oh, oh, oh. Now what? Now where's she going? Oh, oh, yes! Back to the room where we sleep at night! Great! It has the big pad we sleep on and 'L-E-A-P', I can get up here close to her. And here she comes! Oh, oh, oh! I can stand on my legs and put my paws around her neck and , uh-oh. Can't lick with this bottle in my mouth. But it's my present to her! Oh, oh, what to do? And she's rubbing me! But I want to lick her, oh, oh, I think I'm about to burst!

"Off."

Oh, darn. Drop the bottle. Oh, YES! She's coming back! She took off the pieces she puts on her eyes, and I can stand and 'lick, lick', I love you, I love you, I love you, I love 'lick, lick, lick', you taste so good, salty, sweet, I love that stuff you smear on your face every day, I love to lick it off, oh, oh, and you're rubbing me again! My back, my head, my ears, oh, oh, 'lick, lick, lick'. "Marble, Marble, Mac, good boy, murble, murble."

"Off."

Darn. I will lay here and watch her. Watch her peel her fur … it's not very warm fur, I don't think. How does she do that? And I will get that look on my face that always makes her come and rub me. The look where I roll my eyes up, and keep my head flat here and she will come … and she's putting on her play skin! YES! We will play, sometime. My tail cannot be still. I am SO happy, happy, happy. Now she's going in the room with the wonderful water bowl! I LOVE that water bowl, always cool, clean water! She'll be out in just a minute, just a minute, just a … yes, she's coming! She's here again. Oh, oh, oh …

Now back to the room with the box that has pictures and sounds. Ah, I know what happens now. Yep, she's laying down on the big pad there. Now she'll sleep. But that's okay. She's HOME! SHE'S home. She's home. And she smells tired. So I will lay beside her here and guard her and wait while she sleeps. And when she wakes up she won't smell so tired. And we'll play and play. S-i-g-h. I'll just rest with her now, and smell her while she sleeps. And wait again. For the next thing that happens, HE'LL be home. And then, oh, oh, oh . . . . . . .

By an unknown, but typical, Labrador Retriever

You might be a Lab owner if ...

You have rust rings on your kitchen counters from putting the trashcans up there.
You regularly clean out 50 tennis balls from under the couch.
All of your trashcans are bungy-corded.
Your gate is bungy-corded to prevent your labby from popping the latch again.
You have a BIG supply of bungy cords for all lab occasions.
Every piece of clothing you own, the sofa, the bed, and anything soft has lab fur all over it.
You have a plastic kiddy wading pool in your backyard.
You regularly find big paw prints on your kitchen counters.
Every squeaky and fleece toy are missing their squeakers and stuffing.
You have broken or mangled at least one finger (or torn a rotator cuff) on a leash walk when your labby spotted "prey" he wanted to chase.
You have to buy a bigger bed to accommodate the new lab.
You have to buy an extra pillow to accommodate the new lab.
You buy an SUV to take your lab and his labby friends for frequent trips to the lake/river/ocean.
Your backyard looks similar to an archaelogical dig, complete with the dinosaur bones.
Your floor is covered with dog drool and/or pools of water from sloppy drinking labs.
You buy pizza so you can give the crusts to your lab.
You wait til the last minute to get dressed for work to avoid your lab's muddy paw prints, drool and fur (or you put on an old overcoat to stay clean as you say good-bye).
You have every land and water retrieval toy known to man (and lab).
Your yard is full of brightly colored Frisbee pieces.
You buy underwear more often than the average person to replace what your labby has eaten.
Your children NEVER have dirty mouths and faces.
Your lips are constantly chapped from labby kisses.
You can never find a full set of shoes, because your labby has moved them all over the house.
You have doggie beds covering the floor instead of area rugs.
Your end tables are really crates covered with couch throws.
You have to keep an extra keyboard for your computer around because labby drool clogs the keys.
You clean out your fish pond for the season, and the first thing you dredge up is a black kong dropped there during last year's lab party!!!
You never have to mop your kitchen floor because your labbies clean up every spill and crumb before you can get to it.
Every time you take a shower, your labby joins you!
You can never throw anything away, because your labby RETRIEVES it.
Your car is covered with sheets, lab fur, lab drool, and there is often a distinct aroma of "wet labby" that those car air fresheners can't disguise!
Your alarm clock is a firm nudge by a wet labby nose (who wants to eat first and go out later!)
Your mailbox is overflowing with dog catalogs and the UPS man knows your house from bringing all the boxes of dog goodies ordered from the catalogs!
You regularly find your labby's "hidden treasures" buried under the sofa cushions, bed pillows, the couch, and behind the TV!
You have a child proof lock on your fridge because not only can your Lab open it, but takes the best leftovers for himself!
You have permanent bruises on your legs at exactly the height of your lab's tail!
Your husband and you sit on the floor to watch TV because one Lab is sprawled out full length on the couch, and one Lab is sitting in the recliner!
You are the only people who stand outside in -35 degree weather to throw a dummy for a dummy obsessed Lab with snow up to your butt!
You are the only person who has dummies in their dish drainer with clean dishes!
Your furniture is the latest fashion statement in sheets and dog hair!
You don't even think about throwing away that favorite toy that they have destroyed while they are looking unless you are prepared for the "staredown"!
You put all of your shoes, remote controls, hats, gloves and anything else small in closets or on shelves to hide them from "Jaws!"
You specifically buy baby carrots at the store for your new favorite snack and his too!
It is a cold January day, and you have the sunroof to your car open so your Lab can stick his head out through the roof to catch the air!
You give him his bag of new toys in the car on the way home from the pet store, and all he wants is the crumbs from the biscuits given to him by the cashier!"
At least one load of laundry a week is your lab's: his blankets, pillow cases, towels, and of course, all those muddy, drooled on fleece toys he loves so much!
Your Christmas tree had an "ornament-free wag zone."
You regularly clean his tennis balls in your dish washer.

:D

Labs are great! Living with a lab is one of the most fantastic things in the world.

My Toby is a Lab/Collie mix. He is the most wonderful, gentle and loving dog you could ever wish for. Full of character and such fun to be around.

Do be prepared for the "eat absolutely anything" bit though. Today he grabbed a big fat green catapiller and ran away to eat it. :o