PDA

View Full Version : Not coming when called

zoomer
08-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Georgia isn't coming when she's called. I've been working on come with her in the backyard and stuff but when it's somewhere else it takes me 3 or 4 calls to get her to come. I would like her to be more obedient. Does anyone have any tips for me?

ashleycat
08-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Runner does this off leash outside. But she will be there in a heart beat inside. lol
ps
have to tried offering treat when she does come?

zoomer
08-23-2006, 06:53 PM

Yes, I have.

.sarah
08-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Get her on a retractable lead or a long lead. Call her in a very happy voice and real her in, and give her a treat when she reaches you. Don't say "good girl" until she is at your feet. Only do this 3-4 times at once or else she will get bored.

Roxyluvsme13
08-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Do you think those tips would help Roxy be allowed offlead?

BitsyNaceyDog
08-23-2006, 07:02 PM
I have the same problem with Nova. All my other dogs come when called, but not Nova. If I call Nova she looks at me and wags her tail, but doesn't come. If we're outside though and I want her to come inside I can point to the house and say "house" and she will go to the door.

Get her on a retractable lead or a long lead. Call her in a very happy voice and real her in, and give her a treat when she reaches you. Don't say "good girl" until she is at your feet. Only do this 3-4 times at once or else she will get bored.
That's what we learned in training class, but it never worked with Nova. We were also told to use several treats at a time and to use their favorite treats.

zoomer
08-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone!

I think they will :)

Vette
08-23-2006, 07:14 PM

I was going to suggest the samething. :D
and lots of praise

Jadapit
08-23-2006, 07:26 PM
It took me a long time to get Jada and Diamond to have good recall. Ebony learned pretty fast. I would take them down to the baseball field because its all fenced in and we would practice, practice, practice.

I pretty much did what Sarah said to do. When she comes to you make a big deal out of it, act really excited and give Georgia the treat and praise the heck out of her.

I can take them all to the ball field now and I just say "Jada, Diamond, Ebony come" They all cone to me. Diamond still has her moments when she just stands and looks at me. :p

It takes a lot of time but practice makes perfect. Good Luck. :D

Jadapit
08-23-2006, 07:27 PM

Sure they will Bri. Just work with her everyday. She will come to you before you know it. :)

luvofallhorses
08-23-2006, 07:39 PM
also you could try obdience classes. :) I trained Jenny in 4-H when she was a year old (she's 8 and a half now) and when I say "get in the house" she goes in. :) she also knows how to sit, stay, and lay down.

k9krazee
08-23-2006, 09:08 PM
You should read this thread http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=110502 :)

MajesticCollies
08-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Zoomer,

That hits the nail on the head. to add to it use a hand motion of come for her to recognize also.

Another tactic is with a 20ft leash, Take your dog outside, do not talk to the dog at all. Let her wonder on the leash looking smelling what ever she wants to do. At your convinience start walking, if she doesn't notice you leaving give the leash a good tug to get her attention so she knows that she or he suppose to be by your side at all times. I train this method with my dogs at 4 mos old and is very effective. It will keep your dog by your side at all times when off leash too. Do this excercise every day for 20 minutes until the dog understands and you don't have to pull anymore. Don't limit this to your back yard just start at that point and walk around the nieghborhood doing this.

BC_MoM
08-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Another tip that REALLY helped me with Molly:

If she's refusing to come to you, run away making a bunch of exciting racket like, "Georgia, come, let's go!"

*sled_dog*
08-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Something I have tried before, and seemed to work pretty well. I used a long leash, about 50 feet, and let the dog run freely and then call her, if didnt come right away I would kinda bring her in pulling the lead...
Just an idea, if that made sence! lol :D

CathyBogart
08-25-2006, 12:14 AM
So, how's it going? Any progress? :)