PDA

View Full Version : Adopted today- what now?

maggieg
08-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi all! I adopted a 1 year old Snowshoe (Have always loved them!) female today. She is very sweet and when I opened her carrier up in my bathroom she came out purring...Anyway I left her alone in the bathroom and my bedroom for a couple of hours to stretch her legs and get acquainted. when I returned she was following me around feverishly. I picked her up to pet her and she started to growl and tried to bite. Did I move to fast with her. I have another spayed female DSH dilute torti that I need to introduce. How should I do this. I got her from my local humane society. They tried to schedule to spay her this week but they were full. I am taking her back next week to "Get the job done". I also have a 120 lb. Greater Swiss Mtn. Dog , a 15 month old child, a 7 year old child, and my husband to introduce to her. It seems a little overwhelming. I have a large house. Should I just let her roam and find hiding places to go when she is overwhelmed. Just some background...We lost our 8 year old MaineCoon/Norweigian Forest Cat last week when my 7 year old let him out accidently and he was killed by a stray dog. My daughter witnessed this (Thank god it wasn't her) and she has been obsessed with it. We have talked extensively about it and had a nice memorial service but with her obsession my husband and I felt we needed to focus her on a new kitty. We will never forget MAx and his sweet ways!! :( Please let me know how to proceed. Thank you.

K & L
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
I would suggest taking it slower. She's probably overwhelmed right now. I would also suggest maybe secluding her to a room where she can't run under anything and hide, like a spare bath. Do this for a few days until she's met everyone and see that you're the one providing her food and care. Then maybe let her in a larger room and just keep slowly introducing her. Good luck! I'd love to see pictures!!

maggieg
08-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Thank you. I think that I felt I was helping her since she spent the last 3 months in a small cage. I will slow it down. I will take some pics too!! :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Welcome to PT!!!:D You'll love it here and you'll also learn a lot. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat Max.:( As Lisa said, introducing her slowly is the key. You can also get a towel and rub it on her to get her scent on it and then get another towel and rub it on your other cat. Then switch towels and let each cat smell them and get used to the other ones scent. You can also do this with your dog too. Good luck and we love seeing pictures.:)

maggieg
08-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Thank you. I have really enjoyed reading all of the information and everyone is so helpful. I never thought of the towel thing that will be good. I should have thought of it because I did it for my pets when my two children were born!

maggieg
08-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Krazyaboutkats -- do you know anything about the snowshoe breed - I see that you love siamese and I know that they are descendants. I have read all I can but there doesn't seem to be that much. I know that they love people, other cats, dogs, and are playful. I also understand that this can be different for each animal also. Thanks

Karen
08-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Yes, I agree, to take it slowly. Keeping her in one room if possible, and individuals can go in and sit quietly (okay, you can skip the 15-month-old on this part) so she can get used to each individual's scent and particulars, and the other kitty and she can sniff each other under the door.

Good luck! Does the new kitty have a name yet? How big is she?

krazyaboutkatz
08-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Krazyaboutkats -- do you know anything about the snowshoe breed - I see that you love siamese and I know that they are descendants. I have read all I can but there doesn't seem to be that much. I know that they love people, other cats, dogs, and are playful. I also understand that this can be different for each animal also. Thanks
No, I really don't know much about this breed except that they're gorgeous. Most Siamese breeds are very loving, playful,smart, some are quite talkative, and some a just like little dogs and they'll follow you every where.

Sky is a Norweigian Forest Cat/Siamese mix and is very outgoing and friendly and is just like a dog. He adores all people.

Starr is a Flame Point Siamese Mix and he adores me and will only allow me to pick him up and pet him. He doesn't trust other people yet and is very unsure of himself.

Pearl is a Lynx Point Siamese Mix and she's very talkative, playful, smart, and adores her brothers. She loves to cuddle with them. She even plays fetch like a dog and I didn't even have to teach her this.

They're all different.:)

maggieg
08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
We have been discussing names..My seven year old would like to give her a Chinese name so we are researching..she has also said sushi, tofu, or chena (Like China but her own version). I haven't weighed her but she is very thin she probably weighs maybe 4-4 1/2 lbs. I think that we are going to watch her and see what type of personality she has. Her name at the shelter was Sadie. I will try to post some pictures but my husband is the digital guy. :)

Karen
08-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Our guide/translator/good friend in China (we visited in October of 2001) was named Wang Min, to add a potential to your list of Chinese names. (Sushi is Japanese!)

maggieg
08-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Well I just went into my bedroom to check on her. she greated me with a meow and followed me right over to where I was going to sit on the floor. Poor thing she definately has ALOT of pent up energy!! She was zooming around the room! As I sttod to walk out she ran under the bed and started darting out at my feet!! :) I think she is enjoying herself. How can I tell how old she is. She was left abandoned in a house and the Humane Society said she was one year old. I just have a feeling that she is more like 7-9 months old due to her thin, small size and extreme energy she is now showing. I guess I need to round up some cat toys! :p

Jayna78
08-22-2006, 09:25 PM
We have a beautiful 3-year-old snowshoe (Claudia) that we adopted when she was (supposedly) 1-year-old. She seemed less than a year old, b/c she was smaller (by a couple of pounds), had a thinner coat, and just seemed to exhibit lots of kitten behavior.

We introduced her slowly to our other (at the time) 3 cats. Leo (God rest his beautiful soul - such a sweetheart) met her first b/c he loves all cats, and he was so good to her. The other two met her after smelling her through a door for a couple of days. She suckered us into adopting her (thank goodness - she's awesome!) as soon as we met her - we were at PetSmart when the rescue group was putting her in her cage for the first day. Anyway, she purred before we even got all the way to her cage and reached in to pet her. She was just a dream, and she has so much personality! I will say that she still acts a lot like a kitten to this day, and we know she's way past that now. I think it's just in her snowshoe personality. She's still a tiny little kitty, but her coat is very thick, which makes us think she might have some other breed in her somewhere, but she fits the snowshoe look to a tee. Her purr is unlike any other (she gets so revved up she "clicks" at us!), and she follows us around the house meeping at us all the time.

You just need to give it time. Snowshoes are wonderful creatures - you won't be sorry you brought her home.

maggieg
08-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Thank you again. I still have to tell myself that it is only the first day and she has to get use to everything that we are already use to. I tried to take pictures but she would not stay sill long enough...maybe in a few days.

Reachoutrescue
08-22-2006, 09:38 PM
To introduce the new snowshoe to your dilute...

Keep your new cat alone for about three to four days. Slowly offer her food or a treat everytime you go and visit her...just small portions. She will relate you with something great. Once she is okay with you, place her in a cat carrier and put her in a larger room (where your other cat is usually at). Let them hiss it out....but only do this for about 15 minutes. Then the next day, place you dilute in the carrier and place it in the room where the new kitty is. Do the same as the previous day. Do this a couple of times each. Then just open the door to the room and let nature work. It will take up to a good four months for cats to adjust to each other. Some do it sooner, some take longer. It will be okay though. Good luck!

rg_girlca
08-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Maggieg and Welcome to Pet Talk. :D

I am so sorry on the loss of your beloved cat. What a terrible thing for your daughter to witness and like you said, thank God it wasn't her. Is she doing okay??

I just LOVE Snowshoes. I don't know much about them either, but they are certainly a beautiful cat.

Here is a link that one of our PTer's, DJFyrewolf36 had made just the other day in regards to introducing cats. Just click on this: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=111242

I hope this helps you.

I am so looking forward to seeing pictures. :)

maggieg
08-23-2006, 12:35 PM
I just went into my bedroom to check on the kitty. I came out with many scratches on my arm. :( I had not taken the paper collar that the humane Society had on her off yet. It was quite tight..she probably was given it when she arrived three months ago and they never changed it. She was having problems with it cutting into her throat when she drank or ate. Anyway, I took my small surgical scissors in and wrapped her in a towel but still had a small war! I got the collar off though and she definately felt better. My seven year old keeps taking the kids from the neighborhood in the room to see her and i keep telling tham that she is very scared and they can see her in a few weeks. My daughter is very angry that she can't hold Show and Tell. Last night my husband let the large dog in the room at 1am and I was awaking to the sounds of a cat/dog fight!! Poor kitty. I am trying my best to give her a proper intro but all these factors are playing against me!!` :confused:

catmandu
08-23-2006, 04:43 PM
I have found through trial and error, that you are going to have to wqait until your New Family member makes the first move.
I know its hard, but she needs to be secure, before she makes friends.
We know eventually that she will find her place.