PDA

View Full Version : Should I?? poll

ashleycat
08-22-2006, 03:14 PM
My friend said

With hip displasia she may be happier without an energetic dog around

I read that dogs with arthritis type owies they need ecxcercise. I'm already walking her. Is that enough? She lays down all day and doesn't move.

However.. she would just LOVE to play with my cat. Only my cat won't play so Runner growls at her. I've tried playing with her, but she will only play for a min then go lay on the couch. When she plays with me, she plays while sitting. Maybe I'm too big?

Would bringing a more energenic dog home help keep her active?

I could babysit my neighbors dog a lil bit to see what happens before I decide.

What do you think?

What are your experiences?

lv4dogs
08-22-2006, 03:22 PM
IF I remember correctly (sorry don't have time to look back) but didn't you have a similar thread when you had Charlie? If not I'll reply more when I get some more time, if someone else doesn't say what I was going to say by then. lol

ashleycat
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM
kind of. He was way hyper. I'm not looking for a really hyper dog. Just one with a bit more energy than her to bring her up more. To motivate her to get active. With Charlie I was thinking of getting one to help take some of his hyperness off. So I guess it's kind of the same, but different too.

.sarah
08-22-2006, 03:26 PM
I think play dates are a better idea for now. Runner just came home, give her some time to settle in :)

ashleycat
08-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Yes I was thinking of having my neighbors dog come for now to test it out.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I think play dates are a better idea for now. Runner just came home, give her some time to settle in :)
I agree.

Also have you talked to your vet about getting her help for the arthritis? Glucosamine is an excelent suppelment for dogs with arthritis.

areias
08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Isn't Runner only 3? Why does she have arthritis already? Are you sure there isn't an underlying problem?

ashleycat
08-22-2006, 04:48 PM
He said hip dysplasia / arthritis. He didn't exray. But he says more like displaysia. He could feel it when examining her and says it's worse on her right side.

I have been researching an the glucosomine I'm trying to find good prices on. My hubby is a pharmacist and they sell it over the counter. I asked him how much it was. I also read excercise and proper diet is in order too.

So I am looking into RAW and taking short walks at night when sun goes down.

Would walks be enough? or does she need more excercise to build up muscle? She's on pain meds right now, but I hear they aren't good for long term use so I'm using those for temporary.

ashleycat
08-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Also, the type of dog I would look for would be a smaller or med size. I have a 1900 sqft house where there is lots of room to run and play. ON top of walks.

Not a hearding dog that doesn't need a job to do. Charlie needed a job.

He LOVED training sooo much he got the zoomies when we were done. It was likea game. It was soo much fun. I miss it. But I didn't feel up to it a lot of times.

Runner.. has absolutely no interest in training. Makes me wonder if she really is mixed with aussie lol. All she wants is some love. She's just 37 lbs

Vela
08-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Honestly, if you feed raw you may not even need the pain meds anymore. Ginger was three legged lame off and on, alternating hind legs. I used to use rimadyl, but it started making no difference, still in pain all the time. Still lame. I feed her raw now, supplemented sometimes with EVO or RM EVO and she no longer limps, uses all four legs to climb stairs, rather than hopping, plays with cracker, and even is much more anxious to go places. All of that from raw, not to mention clean teeth and no stinky breath she used to have, soft haircoat, loss of excess fat that was making her arthritsi worse. They were on Chicken Soup before the switch, which is still a decent food, and it did make THAT much difference. I also think you'd do better with just one dog for now. Help her through her problems as best you can before looking for another. Good luck with that.

ashleycat
08-22-2006, 06:53 PM
ITA w/all of you lol. She just had her diner and would you beleive it she's actually trying to play with ME now lol. She even barked. First time I heard her play bark. It's so cute an kind of high pitched lol.

I guess she's feeling better today! She's a mommas girl. ;)

ashleycat
08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
I got her to show her teeth :) Playin on the couch lol

When she gets overly excited she sneezes a lot. Is this common?

Lori Jordan
08-22-2006, 07:05 PM
He said hip dysplasia / arthritis. He didn't exray. But he says more like displaysia. He could feel it when examining her and says it's worse on her right side.

I have been researching an the glucosomine I'm trying to find good prices on. My hubby is a pharmacist and they sell it over the counter. I asked him how much it was. I also read excercise and proper diet is in order too.

So I am looking into RAW and taking short walks at night when sun goes down.

Would walks be enough? or does she need more excercise to build up muscle? She's on pain meds right now, but I hear they aren't good for long term use so I'm using those for temporary.
You can see hypdysplaisia(sp) it is not hard to see if the dog does has it i have seen many dogs with the hd

wolf_Q
08-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Considering you re-homed Charlie because he had too much energy, my vote would be NO.

Roxyluvsme13
08-22-2006, 07:48 PM
You rehomed Charlie? :confused:

luvofallhorses
08-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Considering you re-homed Charlie because he had too much energy, my vote would be NO.

same here. sorry.

luvofallhorses
08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
You rehomed Charlie? :confused:

yep. :( http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=110708

Roxyluvsme13
08-22-2006, 08:02 PM
yep. :( http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=110708
After just rehoming Charlie for reasons, I don't think you need another dog currently. You have done the best for Charlie, but I think it's just kind of like "replacing" if you get another dog so soon. Sorry.=/

Muddy4paws
08-22-2006, 08:09 PM
I would really wait and let her adjust, I've heard it can take months for a dog to properly settle down into a new home and show its real side so I would wait and maybe just settle for playdates as said before :)

Kfamr
08-22-2006, 08:17 PM
I had no idea you rehomed Charlie. While I don't understand why, or necessarily agree with it, hopefully he is happy now and in a forever home. I suppose it's confused a lot of people to still see him in your signature.

As for you getting another dog, I strongly suggest you don't. It sounds as if you could not handle Charlie.. who knows how you would be with two dogs, and if the next dog will be just like Charlie.

Also, you said you got her to show her teeth? It sounds as if you were excited about that, but it's not something I would allow or "get" her to do. It could be her way of telling you off/that something is bothering her.

chocolatepuppy
08-22-2006, 08:39 PM

My thoughts exactly.

sammy101
08-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Personally,i dont think you should.But maybe you should find some playdates for her. :)

ashleycat
08-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Her showing her teeth reminded me of puppy play. She wasn't growling or anything.

I rehomed Charlie more than because of his energy. I felt he deserved a more active lifestyle family.
He loved training and going for runs and stuff I couldn't do. He needed a job to do. I have a largeyard, but he needed more than just a yard.

The family he is with now takes him for 5am runs and night walks and her sister is an agility trainer. He was very dominant and I couldn't keep at top of it. It was mostly due to his breed, being neutered at an older age where he had the habbits.

Although I did get quite far with him. He has come a long way

True.. he was happy here. But my depression made me think I wasn't good enough for such a good dog.

When I first got him he was 20 lbs under weight due to being at a rescue. tape, whip worm and coccidia. He was taking our food from our plates while in our posession, potty inside, wasn't crate trained, didn't know any basic commands. I taught him everything he knows.

He just needed more.

I don';t know why I'm saying all this again. It was the right thing to do.

I now have a calm, laid back non dominant sweetie. IF I say IF I decided to get another. Of course it wouldn't be right now, but later if everything I was doing wasn't working. I would look for a more energenic yet not hyper, non dominant, non-working type dog. Something small or med size.

I do Miss Charlie very much and theres not a day that goes by where I don't think of him. I made the decision on a very low day, even though it was the right thing to do. I still feel guilty. I know he's happier there. I know he was happy here. I felt he would be happier there.

wolfsoul
08-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Personally I feel that you need to work on your depression first. Two dogs is very stressful. I usually have two or three dogs at a time in my household and I can't even believe the stress of just one more dog. I think that before you make any decisions, you need to get more help for you depression, because I've dealt with it and I know how it feels, and I know that someone in a depressed state can not only make poor decisions, but also can't make a commitment.

Swimming is the best thing for hip dysplasia. Lots and lots of swimming. It supports the weight while the dog exercises, and uses almost every muscle in the body. Swimming in warm water is best, so if that's possible, tkae great advatage of it, but if it's not, the lake is good enough.

Shark cartilage is supposed to be more effective than glucoasmine. I use both. Seropeptase is awesome, and it has no side effects. Marine oil is also great for lubricating the joints. I use seal oil, I've heard alot of good about it. Be careful with cod liver oil, too much can cause Vitmin A toxitity. Devil's Claw is another good one, and chondroitin.

You can see hypdysplaisia(sp) it is not hard to see if the dog does has it i have seen many dogs with the hd
Actually most cases of HD are not severe enough where you can actually tell just by looking. I've seen dogs that look perfectly normal whose OFA papers came back saying the dog is dysplastic. Most times health registry papers come back like that, the owner is shocked. It's why hip testing is so important before breeding, you never know if the dog is dysplastic, most times it is mild and only in one hip.

ashleycat
08-22-2006, 10:12 PM
I wonder if I can even get her into water lol. How would I get her in? Where would I look for a place for her to swim? There is a lake near by, I can take her there. It is summer and hot still here, somaybe the water is still warm?

But where would I find warm water for her to swim in?

Can I find this Shark cartilage in a store? or do I need to buy online?

She's a good dog for a depressive person I tell ya. She makes me feel special. She's a real mommas girl. We sit on the rocking recliner or couch and she's lay her head or curl up on me. She's a snuggler.

I just want to do whats best for her. I do think she fits here. She's perfect. I just wish she wasn't in pain. But that's no reason to give her up. I'm wondering if that's why she was givin up in the first place.

ONe lady gave her back because she wouldnt jog with her. I wonder why!!

My depression is actually getting better. I do have a few bad days if I didn't sleep well one night. I am on meds. I'm actually starting to get bored and I'm actually cleaning house again. My daughter will be starting at a childs learning center next month too, so I will have time to myself to regroup. Things are getting better. Slowly, but they are. :D

mruffruff
08-23-2006, 09:46 AM
It sounds like Runner still needs to get used to your family. It can be 6 months or more before some dogs are willing to "play". This doesn't mean you can't try; just don't be disappointed if she isn't into it.

If she is in pain from her hips, she's sure to be reluctant to play. Others here have given you good advice on what to use. It sounds like a raw diet might be a good idea. I personally would be afraid to try that, only because I'm not educated enough to know how to do it right.

Play dates sound like the best solution for now. Maybe classes to give her more exposure to other dogs.