PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Preparations - Whats in Your Kit?

Blue_Frog
08-22-2006, 02:27 PM
I was reading through National Geographic online, and ran across this article

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060821-katrina-pets.html

which has to do with the pets from Hurricane Katrina, lawsuits, and emergency preparadness. But, it got me to thinking about what happens in case of an emergency (fire, flood, tornado, alien attack, etc.) ... which got me to thinking about the question:

What do you have in your pets Emergency Kit?

As an example, I've got the following setup for my ferrets:
• Put all their medical information into a ziplock baggie, which is taped to the side of their carrier. This includes their vaccine details, as well as some information about Monster's adrenal disease, and a business card for the vet they go to, and additional contacts (family members, 24 hour clinic)
• Ive also put into the baggie little colour picture/detail sheets about both Monster and Bear, to tell them apart, with some details about age, history, etc.
• A separate bag (cheap backpack i picked up) which has a small sealed bag of dry kibbles, bottles of water and 2 smaller tupperwares to use as bowls.
• Their First Aid kit (miscellaneous things that might be needed in case of an emergency (based on the premade kit from http://www.ferretstore.com/meddelfiraid.html) with a few addons
• Their harnesses and leashes are always tied to the top handle of the carrier - the harnesses also have their names tags on them - that way i know where they are when i need them quickly.

So i've got a lot covered, but theres always room for improvement! What else might be a good idea to add in?

lv4dogs
08-22-2006, 03:19 PM
I keep all the dog & cat supplies (grooming, medical, etc..) in a small rubbermaid tote not too far from the door.
All the leases are hung right by the door.
Cat/ferret carriers are in a closet right next to the door.
Poop bags, a dog first aid kit & extra collars in a tote bag hung next to the door.

I admit, right now I am slacking, their records are in a folder (all nice & neat) but it is in a spare bedroom. Thanks for reminding me that I need to move those to a more readily available location. I should also print up some new pictures of them all to add to that folder.