PDA

View Full Version : A New Addition

Reachoutrescue
08-22-2006, 02:26 AM
Today while I was at work I recieved a phone call from a friend of mine. Her co-worker found a kitten in the alley by her house. She said the kitten was about four weeks or that is what she thought. She had been bottle feeding it for a week but her kids are going back to school and there will be nobody to care for it for like 9 hours a day...so here is where I come in. I called the lady, Donna, and asked her if the baby's eyes were open. She said that they opened about 5 days ago and the kit just scoots, not really crawling. I told her the baby was about two weeks old and that I have two nursing mommas that may except the newbie. So Donna brings it to our home/rescue and my fiance takes over till I get home. He introduced the kit to Dottie. She is the one who is nursing four. She was nursing five, but one passed away Sunday morning. Instantly, Dottie starts to clean the baby's bottom and take control...but the baby will not nurse on her. So I am bottle feeding the baby and letting Dottie do the cleaning and potty stimulations. I am hoping the baby takes to Dottie. I noticed the baby's rear legs are a bit swollen and have no hair and when I was stimulating potty, the kit bled from the rear. I am thinking that the swelling and hair loss is from the kitten scooting on the ground outside in the heat...who knows how long it was outside alone. I don't know why it is bleeding, maybe worms. I am taking it to an emergency vet in the morning...my vet has no openings. I don't have the money, I was saving for the Lil' Dirty Dozen's vet needs, but this is much more important right now. I will keep you posted. I just hope the little kit makes it. Pour little thing. :(

Jods
08-22-2006, 07:31 AM
thanks for taking the little kitten in poor lil thing keep us updated

Cookiebaker
08-22-2006, 07:36 AM
awww! Congratulations on the new addition. Hopefully everything will turn out just fine, and good luck with the bottlefeeding!!! :)

Dorothy39
08-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Darn, I thought I would get an update of that sweet kitten when I saw the same thread in general!!! ;)

That was an excellent idea, because a lot of us, who love and own dogs, seldom venture into cat general!!!

Please keep us posted about this sweetie!!!!!! ;)

flamepony12
08-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Prayers on the way for the little guy. I hope he makes it. :(

CountryWolf07
08-22-2006, 02:08 PM
I hope the little guy makes it! :)

moosmom
08-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Great job Reachoutrescue!!! Keep us posted on the babies' progress.

Reachoutrescue
08-22-2006, 08:40 PM
So, I took the baby (whom I have named Itty Bitty for now) and two of our other babies (Dottie's babies who have severe eye infections) to the vet at Animal Welfare. I sat and waited for about two hours, but finally I was seen. The two five week olds are underweight, Dottie is not taking good care of them. I have to give them baby food five to six times a day and put eye ointment on them three times a day. As for Itty Bitty...it is a boy. He is three weeks old and weighs 6 oz. Which is just right they said. They lady that found him, did well. I have to bottle feed him every three to five hours or whenever he cries for food. Dottie still stimulates the poop...so the Dr. said to keep letting her do that. His legs are raw, but the doctor is not worried, he said it may be due to crawling around outside as I thought. He said just to keep an eye on them for a couple of weeks if they get worse, bring him back. The Dr. also dewormed all three of the babies. He said that may be why Itty Bitty is bleeding from the bottom. Now, all we need to do is pray he makes it and put all our effort into this baby. The bill wasn't too bad, but it was funds towards the 12 Olney kittens...now I have to postpone altering...but it was well worth it. I will post pictures in a day or two of Itty Bitty.