PDA

View Full Version : ANGEL'S GATE needs our help

kuhio98
08-21-2006, 08:39 PM
The Angel's Gate Animal Hospice (non-profit organization) is under attack. For 16 years now, they have welcomed "un-adoptable" animals and cared for them in Fort Salonga, NY. Now, some townspeople are trying to get them zoned out of existence. Please check out their website: http://www.angelsgate.org/ and consider signing the petition. Let them know that not only should they not be run out of town, there should be more organizations like them. Please feel free to cross-post.

Thank you.

doolittleky
08-21-2006, 08:57 PM
I just signed it!

todd
08-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I just signed it

Catty1
08-21-2006, 10:58 PM
I signed, and also signed the thank-you to Gov Rendell...and asked if we could now look at outlawing gas euthanization?

Can't hurt!

krazyaboutkatz
08-21-2006, 11:46 PM
I signed.:)

pitc9
08-22-2006, 07:39 AM
Signed!

Anikaca77
08-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Signed! :D

kuhio98
08-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks you guys. I'll put it on my calendar to check their website after the next big meeting and post an update. Does anyone live close to them?

Argranade
08-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Sighned. :D :D

moosmom
08-22-2006, 05:54 PM
I signed!

kuhio98
10-15-2006, 01:57 PM
September 29,06 As expected the hearing before the Zoning Board was postponed by the Town ,again. They have placed it on their calendar for November 28th. Stay tuned.

September 20,06 We have placed the required lawn sign by the street to alert interested parties as to the planned zoning board hearing on Sept. 26th for our appeals for "interpretation" ( that the new code does not apply to us) and "prior use" (grandfathering) . However, our attorney has been informed " that the matter has been adjourned indefinitely because the Board of Appeals does not have a denial from the Building Department".

kuhio98
08-18-2007, 09:18 AM
UPDATES:

July 10.2007 Some bad and some good news: We have been fined by the Smithtown Town Court for noise violations. After a trial which basically was a "he said; we said" affair the judge fined us $800 ! This is a lot of money for us so we asked for some time to gather it. Obviously, this is part of the continuing harassment of the neighbors and the town officials to force us to leave Smithtown. We continue to suffer the nasty comments and obscenities of other neighbors as well as minor vandalism. Its become par for the course.

The good news is that a property in the Catskills area of New York has become available and we may be able to afford to buy it. It could prove to be Angel's Gate's home one day and or an annex for our farm animals. Also, a benefactor has offered to purchase property for us on Long Island, so no matter the outcome of our Article 78 court appeal, it looks like Angel's Gate will be able to continue to serve Long Islands neediest creatures.

crow_noir
08-21-2007, 01:29 AM
Sorry to hear about the ungrateful neighbors.

That is wonderful news that things may be looking up. Good luck with the move!

kuhio98
01-05-2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.angelsgate.org/UNDER_%20ATTACK.htm

News from the Angels Gate website:

We Won !!

September 19th, 2007: The Honorable Arthur G. Pitts , Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, issued his decision on our appeal of the Town of Smithtown's refusal to issue us a certificate of prior use permit . The Town had changed it's zoning code last year to exclude animal hospices (i.e. Angel's Gate) from residential neighborhoods, in essence to force Angel's Gate to move away.

Judge Pitts found " Clearly, the record before the Court establishes that prior to the amendment of the town zoning ordinance, the petitioner's use of their property was legal and accordingly, the petitioners are entitled to a pre-existing use permit. ....the findings of the ..ZBA (Zoning Board of Appeals) denying the petitioner's application was arbitrary and capricious without regard to the facts presented ...."

What this means is that Angel's Gate may remain in it's home of 14 years and we can continue to serve our community.

phesina
01-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Hallelujah! What wonderful news!