PDA

View Full Version : I found Out that I am going to have periodic Animal Control Visits

catmandu
08-21-2006, 05:31 PM
For the forseable future.
This is despite taht fact that all Cats are neutered or spayed, have the blessings of My Vet, and Animal Welfare, and they are going to be cared for after my passing.
I dont like the idea that I have to be on guard for suprise visits.
Am I right?
Advice please.

G535
08-21-2006, 05:51 PM
It doesn't seem right that you should have to put up with surprise visits after you have already been checked out and approved. Sorry I can't really offer advice as our laws are probably different to yours. Your cats are obviously well cared for and loved, you would think these people would spend their time and money going after the ones who don't look after their animals.

K & L
08-21-2006, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't like it either. I guess the best way to look at it is all is well at your place so let them drop in whenever they please! It's all so aggravating though.

krazyaboutkatz
08-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Gary, I'm sorry that you have to go through this.:( At least you have support from your vet and animal welfare.

Karen
08-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I'd contact the mayor's office, and find out if you have any recourse.

catnapper
08-21-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. But Gary, don't worry! Seriously! You have nothing to hide, you know your cats are well cared for and of the best health, so what will they find upon a surprise inspection that they didn't find on the last one? Nothing but loved and perfectly healthy cats.

kuhio98
08-21-2006, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't like it either. But, it could be something they agreed to do temporarily to get that woman off their back. I'm not sure what options you have. I guess I would kill them with kindness. They will quickly see that YOU are not the problem. Are there any Merry Maids (house cleaning services) in Hamilton? I have no idea how expensive it is, but if you're worried about keeping up with the house cleaning, maybe they could come in once a month and do some cleaning. That would sure leave a good impression. If not Merry Maids, I found: http://www.koidlkleenhomes.ca/services.html and http://www.careoncallhomecare.com/

Laura's Babies
08-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Be sure you have plenty of treats for your visitors to give your cats and even have some on hand for you to offer them.

I wouldn't like that either Gary, having someone coming by to drop in to "check on things" to make sure my kitties are well taken care of. Your vet comes by there and so does your friends from the animal welfare (don't they?) so WHAT IS THE %#&%@&^! PROBLEM!!!!!?? :mad: As long as they are HEALTHY, well FED, get vet care, have clean boxes to potty in and a warm place to sleep... Those people need to get a life!

Be kind to your guests, bore them to death with constant bragging about your wonderful kitties from the minute they walk in until they leave, in fact have them wait as they are leaving for you to tell them that one last cute L-O-N-G story that they just have to hear... I bet as a true PT'er pet owner, you have a rather large suppy of cat stories, enough to keep them there for hours.. I'd act all excited that I had a new audience to hear all about my WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL babies and be ready to tell the stories all day....

If they are dressed really nice, cover them with cat hair, handing them one cat after the other to pet..... They might not be so quick to come back if you keep them there for hours and send them off covered in cat hair.. :rolleyes: In fact, even off them your cats favorite chair to sit in :rolleyes: .. (cat hair on their butt, they'll never know!) :D

Corinna
08-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Would letters from us help if we flood the office of the people doing the checking.

Edwina's Secretary
08-21-2006, 08:17 PM
When we adopted Edwina from the shelter we had to agree that they could make a surprise home visit at any time.

They have so many animals to worry about....I'd accept them but not expect them..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-21-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. But Gary, don't worry! Seriously! You have nothing to hide, you know your cats are well cared for and of the best health, so what will they find upon a surprise inspection that they didn't find on the last one? Nothing but loved and perfectly healthy cats.
This was my first reaction too, Gary. Let them come. They will soon find that they are wasting their time and will leave you alone. It might be inconvenient for awhile, but like I say, they will soon see there is nothing here for them to worry about and then they will leave you alone for good. You're doing everything right and there are others out there to vouch for you, so welcome them in and show them the doting catdad you are. :)

Randy_K
08-21-2006, 10:51 PM
I guess the best thing is to grin and bear it. If they show up at your door unannounced then they will do the same thing to those whacko "collectors" who just gather up animals but don't take care of them.

Reachoutrescue
08-21-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't think that is fear. I would contact the city or something. There has got to be something you can do. Good luck.

Killearn Kitties
08-22-2006, 03:28 AM
No I wouldn't like it, but I would accept it. Animal Welfare people see some horrific situations. They have to check up on homes where people keep taking in animals that they are not able to care for. Quite clearly, your home does not fall into this category. You also have the support of your vet. If they visit at all, I would not expect those visits to be frequent.

CultureJunky
08-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Sorry to hear that Gary, I can't really offer any advice as I have never been in that situation. However would you be able to contact a local MP? (Member of parliament, I'm not sure of the local politics where you live) and say that you feel you're being harrassed?
Though obviously you have nothing to worry about, they live in clean conditions, are well fed and well looked after. I think they'll give up after a while after one or two visits, even if they do that many.
Although it may be official that they have to visit you, they may not and it could just be going through the motions and mandatory regulations to inform you of visits. Fingers crossed ;)

Pam
08-22-2006, 06:48 AM
No I wouldn't like it, but I would accept it. Animal Welfare people see some horrific situations. They have to check up on homes where people keep taking in animals that they are not able to care for. Quite clearly, your home does not fall into this category. You also have the support of your vet. If they visit at all, I would not expect those visits to be frequent.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. :) Gary, I think in another thread you mentioned that you are above the legal limit in your town for the amount of cats you have. Maybe you can just view this as sort of a trade off. They don't ask you to cut down the size of your family and you, in turn, have to submit to these visits. I wouldn't like it either, but if that's the way it has to be for my little cat family to remain intact I would comply. Good luck!

Sonia59
08-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Oh Gary, I am sorry to hear this, but I would not worry to much. You have NOTHING to worry about. And as others have said, if they come a few times and see happy and healthy cats and have a warm welcome from you, they may not visit you very frequently then!

Donnaj4962
08-22-2006, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't like it either. But, it could be something they agreed to do temporarily to get that woman off their back. I'm not sure what options you have. I guess I would kill them with kindness. They will quickly see that YOU are not the problem. Are there any Merry Maids (house cleaning services) in Hamilton? I have no idea how expensive it is, but if you're worried about keeping up with the house cleaning, maybe they could come in once a month and do some cleaning. That would sure leave a good impression. If not Merry Maids, I found: http://www.koidlkleenhomes.ca/services.html and http://www.careoncallhomecare.com/

I agree that it may be something that they agreed to do as a trade-off! That makes a lot of sense to me, since they KNOW that your kitties are well cared for! As far as the Merry Maids goes, Gary, I don't know your age, and I do not know if there are Councils on Aging in Canada... but here in the US, most Councils on Aging offer assistance in housekeeping, at a minimal or no charge. That could be something else to look into and see if you qualify.

I am so sorry that you are going through this, and I am willing to help any way that I can.... letters to local officials, calls, whatever! Just let us know. Give all those found cats a kissie from me and Tabitha and Sasha!

kb2yjx
08-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Gary!!! You just be the host with the most and like the about posters said, bored them to tears while regaling stories about the cats. Maybe have some videos ready for them to watch. Maybe if you do that a few times, they will space out the visits, then less and less, then none!!

Kirsten
08-22-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm very sorry for this, Gary. Even though you don't have anything to hide, it's annoying, because it's just invading your privacy. Also, that they want to keep an eye on you is somewhat hurtful.

Good luck with everything!

Kirsten

moosmom
08-22-2006, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't worry too much, Gary. You take excellent care of your cats and I'm sure eventually they'll stop coming around. Just keep doing what you're doing. You'll be fine.

Cinder & Smoke
08-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Gary, I think in another thread you mentioned that you are
above the legal limit in your town for the amount of cats you have.

I did a little research on the City of Hamilton web site - a rather "fancy" and
VERY detailed and well indexed presentation.

Animal Control has a lot of info here >>>
http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/cityandgovernment/citydepartments/planningecdev/buildinglicenses/animalcontrol

They offer a Lifetime License for CATS at $12.00; but also say you don't need
to "license" a cat - as long as it wears an ID Tag which you can obtain anywhere.
Nowhere on the Animal Control pages does it give a LIMIT on the number of cats permitted.

The Hamilton City BYLAWS tell a different story. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif
Bylaw # 84-191 is the real problem >>>

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/1C1B6000-4D28-439A-A5B5-DF4CF0D896CC/0/HamiltonBylawNo84191asamended.pdf

It won't let me copy & paste - but it says (with a triple negative) that you
can keep TWO "class 3" animals.
"Class 3 Animals" are a small animal group including Dogs and Cats.

I interpret this to mean ONE dog + ONE cat;
or TWO dogs + NO cat;
or TWO cats + NO dog

(Wonder WHO passed THAT bylaw? The public must have been asleep!)

A lot more Bad News for Cat Owners is in Bylaw 86-343 >>>
http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/1A17477E-0670-45BF-853C-A8DF28933EF1/0/HamiltonBylawNo86343.pdf

This one deals with CATS - and their limits of freedom ...
short version - Kat gotta STAY HOME on the owner's property -
NO wandering and/or going Potty http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif on public or private property.

---------------------------------------

*MY* read on this situation is that one or more of Gary's Neighbors don't
like some of his cats "wandering" around the Hood.
Prolly one or two have used somebody's flower bed as the Bafroom - and
Animal Control has prolly been told "there's Hundreds of wild cats in that guy's yard and house!"

How to "fix" the problem?? - Good question! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Short of *moving out* of Hamilton - about the only way I see is to
move the Cats INside and eliminate the "at large & roaming" problem.
If No cats are "visible" to the neighbors - the might forget about complaining.

Good Luck!

/s/ Phred

DJFyrewolf36
08-22-2006, 07:12 PM
In a way you can see this is a good thing. Perhaps they can see this is an example of how to do things the RIGHT way, and the Found Cats can help educate people on how to properly care for multiple cats.

My dad told me once that Living well is the best revenge ;)

catmandu
08-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Thank You, as I have never seen that bylaw before.
This is getting me down, as I am having nightmares about them taking my Friends.
I love them so much, I dont now what I would do if they told me to give up any of my Friends.
It would probably mean armageddon.

sandragonfly
08-22-2006, 10:12 PM
gee, I don't think that's right .. unless you violated a law, I think. oh heck, didn't you? and they already have came, didn't they. or when someone complained. but...biweekly? I wish everyone would back off and bother irresponsible owners more!

it's like a law of landlord that must give you a 24 hour notice in advance, even for an inspection. gary, let me know and I'll have a letter ready for you too! :grrr:

Lizzie
08-23-2006, 12:20 AM
I've avoided this thread because it gives me the chills, I must admit. First of all is the violation of privacy with the visits when they choose. And then the worry of what they may decide. The problem, I think, is with the visiting cats - at least those are the cats your neighbors see and the ones that violate the second bylaw. The thought that a neighbor would rather see these desparate cats starve alone, or rather not look at them as they do, than simply put up with them walking through her garden incenses me. I would have nightmares, too, if I ever managed to sleep. At least you have some strong people on your side, Gary, and any fuss created would be supportive of you and your work. We'll keep hoping alongside you that the visits are more for show and that the organization will let common sense rule.

Beauty17
08-23-2006, 09:53 AM
You have my support and sympathy. It would feel extremely invasive to me to know that some legal representative had the "right" to come into my home periodically - announced or not. I am sorry that you and your cats are the subjects of this unwanted attention.

christa
08-23-2006, 10:04 AM
I would hope that after a few visits to your house, Gary, these people would realize that bothering you is a waste of their time! And if they have any decency at all, they will also realize that their time is needed elsewhere, where cats ARE being mistreated or neglected.

This ongoing . . . *thing* . . . makes me so angry!!! I don't see how you stand it!!!

All I can do is offer you best wishes & prayers for your found cats . . . hoping that they can all stay safely with you, where we all know they want & love to be.

Hang in there Gary!

mruffruff
08-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Our city just enacted a similar bylaw, limiting how many animals are permitted per household. I was very concerned since I have 12 cats and 3 dogs. However, I also learned later, that I was OK because my animals were "grandfathered" in---in other words, as long as I didn't add any new ones, the ones I have now can stay. Maybe the visits are to make sure you don't add more. I didn't check the bylaws Phred listed. Do you know when they went into effect?

All of mine were like yours, Gary. I fed them on the front porch until I could get them vetted and moved inside. If you feed them, the law says they are yours. Your neighbors MAY be legally right, but they are not right to punish you for the strays others have abandoned.

Logan
08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Gary, here is my opinion, if it matters.

You know you have more cats than the law allows, but they are allowing you to keep them. This is a good excuse to keep your home in tiptop shape and there will be nothing to worry about when they come on those surprise visits! You are a great cat dad. We all know that. You should have nothing to worry about, in my opinion.

Logan

catfamily
08-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I loved Laura's babies advice.That sounds like a great idea w/the long stories of each cat and how proud you are as a cat dad.
But I would be very upset.They may be just saying that to scare you but be on guard at all times.God I hate some people.It really makes me so mad that they would pick on a nice person who is saving lives instead of picking on an a**h***.I'm sorry your going through this Gary.Very Sorry.I wish I was closer to help.

momcat
08-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Come on! What do these animal control people expect to find? I agree with you, Gary. This is uncalled for especially after the first inspector came by and found happy and healthy cats. All of your friends here on PT know how well cared for your companions are and I for one will write or e-mail anyone on your defense without a second thought.

What bothers me the most are all the abused, neglected cats suffering needlessly with nobody speaking out for them or doing anything to help get them out of a bad situation. Here's hoping the inspectors will quickly see they're wasting their time checking up on you and focus their efforts on those poor kitties that really need their intervention!

Hang in there, Gary...PT is on your side!!!!!