PDA

View Full Version : Owner killed by her own Presa Canario

pitc9
08-21-2006, 02:34 PM
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/9706099/detail.html

CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. -- A Florida woman is dead after being attacked by her own dog.

Police said 30-year-old Shawna Willey was killed Friday when the 120-pound Presa Canario mauled her while she was trying to give it a bath in the backyard of her house in Coral Springs. Willey's daughter witnessed the attack and alerted a neighbor who called police.

Police spokesman Rich Nicorvo said when officers arrived, the dog was standing over the woman's body near the swimming pool and made aggressive movements toward them, so they shot and killed it.

They don't know what prompted him to attack his owner.

:( :( :(

Florida court records show Willey was cited several years ago for having dangerous dogs.

Jadapit
08-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Omg, thats so sad. :( I cant imagine losing my life that way. I wonder what made the dog do that? We will probably never know.

caseysmom
08-21-2006, 03:13 PM
My guess is she was raising fightng dogs.

Jadapit
08-21-2006, 03:25 PM
My guess is she was raising fightng dogs.

If that's the case no wonder that happened to her. :(

RICHARD
08-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Whoa!

I gave the Edster a bath this weekend! :eek:

Dorothy39
08-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Gosh, When I scrolled down, I thought you posted a picture of the attack :eek:

:D Then, I saw it was only Sierra and Buddy!!!!!!! :D

Richard, Be very careful the next time!!!!! ;)

GreyhoundGirl
08-21-2006, 07:38 PM
:eek: But if she was a fighter she ( owner ) deserved what she got.

I gave Jenny har " bath-of-the-year" on sunday. I'm glad I read this afterwards.

elizabethann
08-21-2006, 07:50 PM
What kind of dog is a Presa Canario? Does anybody on this board own one?

zoey
08-21-2006, 07:58 PM
What a tragic story!!! :eek:
I found this pic. of one.
http://www.barnacanbull.com/images/aMora01.jpg

Jadapit
08-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Yes, Senorita02 owns Rita. She is a total sweetheart. She is beautiful and she wouldn't hurt anyone. I'm so in love with her. :)

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=77253&highlight=Face+Rita+pictures

caseysmom
08-22-2006, 08:39 AM
This breed got lots of bad publicity a few years back in san francisco when they killed Diane Whipple, they were being raised as fighting aggressive dogs.

GreyhoundGirl
08-22-2006, 09:09 AM
I thought Presa Canarios were banned? Maybe that's just some places...

GreyhoundGirl
08-22-2006, 09:14 AM
This breed got lots of bad publicity a few years back in san francisco when they killed Diane Whipple, they were being raised as fighting aggressive dogs.

:eek: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/01/27/MN139736.DTL

I just lookd it up, that's horrible..... :(

Argranade
08-22-2006, 10:02 AM
No one desurves to die (In such a horrible way) they just need help that must have been horrible for the lady & some people just take in agresive dogs because they want to help them but other times it can be for a bad thing.

Me and my friends where walking by this house and this HUGE dog starts running after us I swear it would have bit my arm if the owner did not call it.

The owners did Not even say sorry :rolleyes: but I didnt want to tell anyone for some reason but im just thinking what if it had been more angry for a reason and it could have attacked a child (One thing for shur Im NEVER going near there dog again).

jackie
08-22-2006, 12:07 PM
So sad, I hope the dog was not used for fighting or being mistreated. :(

I find it a bit strange that there have been a few deaths in N. America with Presa Canario attacks. I have lived in the Canary Islands on and off since 1999, and have yet to hear about even one presa related death.

Cataholic
08-22-2006, 12:19 PM
No one desurves to die (In such a horrible way) they just need help that must have been horrible for the lady & some people just take in agresive dogs because they want to help them but other times it can be for a bad thing.

Absolutely. I am all for animal welfare. But, I cannot overlook the mother, and her poor child that witnessed it. No one, no matter what they were doing with the dog, deserves to be mauled to death under these circumstances.

I cannot see where any sort of humor is appropriate concerning this event.

lizbud
08-22-2006, 04:55 PM
I did read the original story after this happened. I wondered if the woman
ever considered them dangerous? Probably not. Tragic story. :(

Muddy4paws
08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
I wonder why it suddenly just went for her? :confused:

It must of be a reasonable dog to live with because the daughter lived in the same house and its not as if its a tiny dog either..

I dont agree with a poster saying she deserved it because it may of been a fighting dog, I dont think any loving mother would keep her daughter and a fighting dog in the same house? I know if I was a mum I definatly wouldnt.

I really feel sorry for that poor little girl, She will be scarred for life seeing her mum being mauled and I dare say scared to death of dogs after witnessing that :(

Logan
08-23-2006, 10:09 AM
To me, this is a sad story, all the way around. Sad for the lady who lost her life, sad for the daughter who saw it happen and sad for the ending for the dog. :(

We will probably never know the whole story. I choose not to "assume" anything, though, in regards to what the lady was doing with the dog. Seems to me (and again, this is just my opinion), that someone who is raising a fighting dog could care less about bathing them, and would certainly not have her own children around it. Sounds more like a personality issue with the dog, perhaps Rage Syndrome, or something.

Very, very sad. :(

Logan

shelby
08-28-2006, 07:47 AM
I own a female (spayed) Presa Canario/Cane Corso/Pit mix. She is one of the nicest dogs I have ever owned. I rescued her from the pound a year a half ago. It's all about being kind and socializing your dogs. I also own a male (N) Rhodesian Ridgeback who is a very kind and gentle. Bad owners make bad dogs. My dogs are my house companions and best friends.

Alysser
08-28-2006, 09:17 AM

If she was training fighting dogs, then she deserves jail-time. She doesn't deserve being mauled and killed by a dog. NO one, not even the idiots who fight pitbulls deserves that.

I can't imagine what her poor daughter went through when the dog killing her mom. That's so sad. :( Logan, I am in complete agreement with you. It really is sad all around, nothing about this story is good.