PDA

View Full Version : Do you give your cats heartworm preventative?

JenBKR
08-21-2006, 12:39 PM
I was just wondering how many people give their cats heartworm meds. I never have before, but I'm starting to wonder if I should. Thanks for your help!

Randi
08-21-2006, 12:48 PM
I have not given Fister any, but I'll certainly ask my vet about it.

jazzcat
08-21-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't because my cats are indoor only. If they went outside I probably would because I live in the south with lots of mosquitoes.

On the other hand, my Dad's cat is indoor/outdoor and she doesn't take it and hasn't had any problems.

catmandu
08-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Never!
I wonder if Tubby 2 who was an outdoor Cat , could have used those tablets?

Catlady711
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
I give all 5 of mine Heartgard for cats each month in the summer (mostly because they travel with me, and I take them for walks outside on the leash). Getting them to eat it does require bribing with tuna fish.

However if you are concerned about yours, Revolution is a topical liquid applied to the skin on the back of the neck once a month, it kills fleas, and roundworms, prevents heartworm AND treats earmites!! For an outside cat especially it's a great product. The only reason I don't use it, is that my cats are exposed to ticks and it's cheaper for me (at our hospital anyways) to use the Frontline Plus AND Heartgard rather than Revolution.

JenBKR
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't because my cats are indoor only. If they went outside I probably would because I live in the south with lots of mosquitoes.

On the other hand, my Dad's cat is indoor/outdoor and she doesn't take it and hasn't had any problems.

My two are indoor only too, and I've never had a problem. I guess I was thinking that I give Roscoe the preventative meds but not the kitties, so I kind of felt bad, like I'm not taking care of them. I'm not sure of that even makes sense...

jazzcat
08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
My two are indoor only too, and I've never had a problem. I guess I was thinking that I give Roscoe the preventative meds but not the kitties, so I kind of felt bad, like I'm not taking care of them. I'm not sure of that even makes sense...
I always gave my dog heartworm medication since she went outside to potty and play. If your cats are indoor only don't worry about it they should be fine. Don't feel guilty. ;)

JenBKR
08-21-2006, 01:23 PM
I always gave my dog heartworm medication since she went outside to potty and play. If your cats are indoor only don't worry about it they should be fine. Don't feel guilty. ;)

Thank you, I do feel better :)