PDA

View Full Version : Rant About Owners

areias
08-20-2006, 10:48 PM
I started workings at a vets office about 3 weeks ago-I'm in training but doing most of everything. It is in the heart of Tampa, so I see a lot of crazy/interesting people, and a lot of people who just don't care. I learn to appreciate the ones who do care. However, just in the last three weeks, I've seen at least 15 heartworm positive dogs, there is usually at least one a dog a day that comes up positive. None of them have taken up treatment. :(

Particularly though, on Friday, three cases in a row that really almost drove me crazy. All three are totally preventable.
First one was a chow who was kept outside, had been coughing/hacking and been lethargic. Was he on heartworm (HW) prevention? No. So, hw test is in order, and it comes up positive. Give her the estimate on treatment ($950) and she says its her sons dog and leaves. If they had paid the $8/month or whatever for it, the dog would not be on death row. So eventually the dog will pass on, or be brought in in a horrible state and put down.

Second one was a Rott/Golden mix or something. She's had the dog for it's whole life, it's 11 years old, not spayed...claims the dog is coughing a little and has blood in the urine (UTI). Is the dog on hw prevention? No....the dog tested positive for heartworms last year, and was actually treated for it ($900+), but she is not on hw prevention again. :confused: Oh, yeah, and she has been licking under her belly and her nipple is somewhat enlarged. Okay...get the doc in, the poor thing has ulcerated masses in it's breasts-turns out to be breast cancer, she will probably have about a month before things get really bad. Owner opts to put her down right away. :( If the dog had been spayed, she wouldn't have gotten breast cancer. It probably had hws again too.

Third was an overweight chow. Dog has been lethargic, hasn't been eating. Go to hold it for a temperature, and I start to feel itchy. Whatever, leave the room, come back to get the dog to pull blood, and notice there a lot of fleas falling off the dog as he's walking ...we go to pull urine, pull his penis out, and his penis is WHITE. The dog has so many fleas that it is anemic. Owners can't afford a blood transfusion, so they opt to capstar (pill that kills fleas) and treat their yard and see if the dog will make it. If the owners had just gotten some frontline and been more vigilant, there wouldn't be a problem.

I feel so bad for these dogs. We are responsible for their health, they cannot take care of themselves. A lot of things that happen to these dogs, can be totally prevented. And people that bring a puppy in that has parvo or something, and say welllll the person who gave it to me said it had shots.....
:mad:

Muddy4paws
08-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Its just sickening. I would do ANYTHING to ensure my dog was in the best condition I could have her in, I understand money is sometimes the problem with most people but if you really cant afford a dog then why be selfish and own one in the first place?

Makes me mad when people come into the shop and we tell them their dogs have fleas, most of them gladly say like thanks and ask us for advice but you get the few that come in and say its my childs dog or that they know and if you ask about whats being done for the dog they say nothing! :mad:

I know some people get dogs to teach children responsibility but honestly we had a lady come in and say its her 10 year old sons dog and that it wasnt her problem, it just makes me mad.

I really wouldnt be able to sit back and say nothing to people who let their dogs get in bad conditions which is why I couldnt do a job like you working at a vet. You must have the patience of a saint!

zoey
08-21-2006, 08:07 AM
I can't believe these people don't know their dogs have these problems. I mean, don't they take time to pet their dogs and communicate love to them??
If they did, they'd know what the dog needs.
Sometimes I think people just don't care.
Why then, own a dog??

buttercup132
08-21-2006, 10:03 AM
$8 a month to save your best friends life. Thats not alot at all! Some people..ugh I just really HATE people!!

GreyhoundGirl
08-21-2006, 11:41 AM
:eek: :( :mad:

No more to be said.

Jadapit
08-21-2006, 11:46 AM
There are so many people in this world that shouldn’t have the privilege of owning any animal. I don’t know if I could handle doing what you do. I give you a LOT of credit for being able to do it. :)

Miss Z
08-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Firstly, a BIG pat-on-the-back to you for not screaming at these people to try and knock sense into them.

Secondly, I will never understand how people can actually sit around and do nothing when their pet is in a state like the ones you have mentioned. I often feel slightly concerned when Tia sneezes a couple of times, but if I had a dog in those conditions I'd drive myself crazy with worry and guilt. People complain about vet bills, but they only have themselves to blame for choosing the hard way and not the simple way. And the poor pet is the one who suffers all the consequences. Some people have no heart.

:( :mad:

JenBKR
08-21-2006, 12:11 PM
oh my gosh that's just so sad. Poor dogs. Flea and heartworm preventative are not that expensive, I don't quite understand why people don't use them more often. People try to take the cheap way out...I know a few people who only give heartworm meds in the summer months, they don't do anything in the winter....not sure why? :confused:

GreyhoundGirl
08-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Firstly, a BIG pat-on-the-back to you for not screaming at these people to try and knock sense into them.

Secondly, I will never understand how people can actually sit around and do nothing when their pet is in a state like the ones you have mentioned. I often feel slightly concerned when Tia sneezes a couple of times, but if I had a dog in those conditions I'd drive myself crazy with worry and guilt. People complain about vet bills, but they only have themselves to blame for choosing the hard way and not the simple way. And the poor pet is the one who suffers all the consequences. Some people have no heart.

:( :mad:

If there were men, you could guess were my aim'd be. After that I'd "confiscate" the animals. Teach them a lesson. Humpht.

IRescue452
08-21-2006, 02:49 PM
I know how you feel. Don't you wish you didn't have to give the dogs back to the people? At least Florida has some cruelty laws and you've got their names. WI has little in the way of animal protection. We get all sorts of dogs at the kennel that don't need to ever see there owners again if it were up to me. Just remember all the dogs you are helping though and try not to burn out on them.

labmomma
08-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Congrats to you for doing your job the way you do. I'm retired now and thought I might volunteer at the vets or SPCA in my area but I wouldn't be able to control my tongue when it comes to "stupid pet owners."
My vet bill is astronomical and we spend more on our pet's health than we do ours but they are our responsibility for as long as they live. Owning a pet is much like parenthood and there needs to be a test before you qualify to be responsible for both children and pets.
Labmomma X 2