PDA

View Full Version : Wedding

Jessika
08-19-2006, 11:26 PM
So I'm sorry I have been MIA recently, I just wanted to update everyone on what's been going on. HJ and I are getting married January 13, 2007 and I told him the only thing I care about is that the dogs HAVE to be in the wedding. And he actually wants them to be in it, too! I am so excited, I'm gonna dress Charlie up in a little tux and Jamie in a little dress and oh I'm so excited! Is it sad I'm more excited about having my dogs in the wedding almost than the wedding itself?

Ahhh and I have to shop for a wedding dress. And ahh so much stuff to do!

Does anyone have experience with their dogs being in their wedding with them or have had family members do it, etc? Know of any places that may have stuff for dogs, or patterns where we could make it ourselves??

Dorothy39
08-19-2006, 11:33 PM
First of all, Congratulations on that Wedding!!!! Your thread made those bells ring again!!! ;)

Second, hey, love includes "dogs" of course. I never considered including dogs in my own weddiing pictures, but, times are changing---

I'd enjoy seeing the outcome on this reception!!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-20-2006, 06:54 AM
CONGRATS with your wedding!!

Miss Edwina is not a dog, but a cat; but she might be the purrfect purrson to give you all the advize you need! She was so beautifully dressed on her meowmies wedding (post that pic please, Sara, hint hint)

Edwina's Secretary
08-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Anything for you, Lut!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/pdccaf64f39320ae0625a9d73eb9ce76e/fdbce1c4.jpg

Jessika
08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Oh my how precious!! Ah now I'm getting so excited! Though I highly doubt my two will keep anything on their heads hehe

Pembroke_Corgi
08-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Congrats!!! I think it's great the dogs will be in the ceremony! What about making Charlie the ring-bearer and Jamie the flower girl? Charlie could carry a little bag with the rings, and Jamie could carry a basket of flowers. Just an idea! Can't wait to see the pictures! :D

Anita Cholaine
08-20-2006, 02:33 PM
First of all...CONGRATULATIONS!! :D You must be so excited!

I think the idea of including your dogs in the wedding is lovely. They are obviously an important part of the family, right? ;)

Jessika
08-20-2006, 02:41 PM
First of all...CONGRATULATIONS!! :D You must be so excited!

I think the idea of including your dogs in the wedding is lovely. They are obviously an important part of the family, right? ;)
They are our kids!! I've brought it up before in the past and he didn't really like the idea, but the other night we had a long talk and cleared some stuff up, and then he's like "So Charlie is going to be our ring bearer and Jamie is going to be our flower girl right??" I was so happy LOL

Daisy and Delilah
08-20-2006, 08:12 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!!!! I love the idea of the dogs being in the wedding!! I can't wait for the pictures. It will be soooo cute!!

Miss Edwina is one of the cutest kitties I've ever seen. I love her hats!! :)

luvofallhorses
08-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Congrats! :) Sad to have your dogs in the wedding? NO! I think it's sweet. :) If I ever do get married, I would love my dogs to be in my wedding. :) make sure to get pictures and congrats again! :D

BOBS DAD
08-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Ok... I Am Going To Be The Voice Of Descent Here. I Say The Ceremony Should Be Devoid Of The Dogs. I Think It Is More Sacred And Serious Than The Dogs Presence Will Allow For. Imo. I Think You Want To Get The Most Important, Single Largest Decision You Will Ever Make In Your Life Off On A More Serious Note.

Sometime In Your Life (but Let's Hope Not) You May Have To Decide Between Your Furrpets And Your Husband, Or Your Job Or Family... And You Want To Have Your Priorities Straight.

But Heah, To Each His Own. On The Most Important Note Though - Congratulations On Your Wedding Plans. Hope Everything Goes Smoothly And You Have The Very Best Wedding/ceremony Possible!!!

Sevaede
08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! :D

I think it is a wonderful and beautiful idea. I think the dressup idea is cute but have no idea what they could do. Maybe they could be a bridesmaid and a groomsman (terminology?)? :D

I wanted my cats in my wedding but everyone objected so that was pretty much shot down. :o

BitsyNaceyDog
08-21-2006, 08:23 AM
My advise to you is to always remember that this is YOUR wedding and YOU are the one that calls the shots. I'm sure some people will object to you having the dogs in the wedding but if it's important to you then they should be there. I personally think it's a great idea. I also would suggest that well before the wedding you pick someone to watch over and be responsible for each of pups. You and HJ will be very busy and won't be able to constantly watch the dogs.

I'm going to stress that this is your wedding be sure you get everything you want, don't let others push you around. If I could do my wedding all over today it would be completely different from what it was. My mom planned my wedding, I had very little say in it. She completely took over, she invited people I didn't want to invite, she chose the DJ, the place to have the reception, the food, basically everything.
I hate to be the center of attention (a hard thing to avoid on your wedding day). Justin nor I like to dance and neither of us wanted to dance at our wedding, but we were literately pushed and forced to. We were told that if we didn't dance at our wedding we'd regret it later... well guess what, we both now regret that we DID dance.

My sister-in-law (husband's sister) had basically the same experience with her wedding. She was pushed around by her future mother-in-law and ended up hating her wedding. They were having the wedding at her mother-in-laws house and her M-I-L got really bossy and took over.

My husband's cousin did it right. They didn't let anyone tell them how to do things, they did it their way. They wanted a light and fun wedding and that's what they got. She made her invitations by hand. He wore his sneakers with his tux. My husband's other cousin, a 23 year old man was the flower girl. At their reception they had barbecue. They did it their way and they enjoyed their wedding.

If you want Charlie and Jamie in your wedding don't let anyone stop you!

BOBS DAD
08-21-2006, 09:34 AM
My advise to you is to always remember that this is YOUR wedding and YOU are the one that calls the shots. ...My mom planned my wedding, I had very little say in it. She completely took over, she invited people I didn't want to invite, she chose the DJ, the place to have the reception, the food, basically everything.
I hate to be the center of attention (a hard thing to avoid on your wedding day). Justin nor I like to dance and neither of us wanted to dance at our wedding, but we were literately pushed and forced to. We were told that if we didn't dance at our wedding we'd regret it later... well guess what, we both now regret that we DID dance.

...They did it their way and they enjoyed their wedding.

If you want Charlie and Jamie in your wedding don't let anyone stop you!

We might be talking SEMATICS here, but I think what you are referring to is not the wedding - for the most part, but actually the reception. In which case, I agree with you 110%. Believe it or not, "most" people (the newlyweds) do NOT enjoy their own reception. It is almost always planned by others (parents and in-laws), there is a lot of bickering and sometimes downright arguing over the place, the size, the menu the decorations, flowers, etc., tc... and on and on. Most couples remember it all as a blurr and are just "glad to get through it" I know I was!!!

So in concept, I agree with you. It is your day... so have it your way!!! Good luck though getting that passed by the Congress of Juriprudence (headed by your "P-A-R-E-N-T-S"). I am just saying that I think you should take the Ceremony and the actual saying of your VOWS more SERIOUSLY. It is (to me) a more solemn occasion and one that is meant to be an act of deep devotion and committment before your family, friends and GOD!!!

I mean, if Dogs and Cats are OK... why not a Monkey for the Preacher and Trained Seal for the Organist?

JenBKR
08-21-2006, 09:41 AM
What a sweet idea! I think including your dogs would be lovely. Congratulations on the wedding, I didn't realize that the date was coming up so soon! I sure hope we get to see pictures ;)

k9krazee
08-21-2006, 09:54 AM
I also think it would be a great idea to include the dogs! They might be a bit bored at the ceremony itself and they would probably have a lot of fun at the reception, just a thought.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!

Miss Z
08-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Congratulations, Jessika, I'm so pleased to hear this great news! And it will be a hundred times better to have your furkids there by your side as you partake in one of the most memorable moments of your life. I hope everything goes well for you all, and please take lots of photos for us to enjoy! :D

lv4dogs
08-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Congrats!!!! Sorry I'm of no help with dogs in weddings (still waiting for my wedding day, lol) but someone on the aussie board on LJ had their Aussie in their wedding just recently. I remember they offered some advice, and I am sure if you contact them they would be more than happy to help you out.

You have plenty of time to train your 2 to obey well & the like. I wish yous the very best of luck with your future!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-21-2006, 10:50 AM
We might be talking SEMATICS here, but I think what you are referring to is not the wedding - for the most part, but actually the reception. In which case, I agree with you 110%. Believe it or not, "most" people (the newlyweds) do NOT enjoy their own reception. It is almost always planned by others (parents and in-laws), there is a lot of bickering and sometimes downright arguing over the place, the size, the menu the decorations, flowers, etc., tc... and on and on. Most couples remember it all as a blurr and are just "glad to get through it" I know I was!!!

So in concept, I agree with you. It is your day... so have it your way!!! Good luck though getting that passed by the Congress of Juriprudence (headed by your "P-A-R-E-N-T-S"). I am just saying that I think you should take the Ceremony and the actual saying of your VOWS more SERIOUSLY. It is (to me) a more solemn occasion and one that is meant to be an act of deep devotion and committment before your family, friends and GOD!!!

I mean, if Dogs and Cats are OK... why not a Monkey for the Preacher and Trained Seal for the Organist?
I hated both my wedding and my reception. Yep, I was just glad to have it over, but I hate that I feel that way. I wish I could do it over and have it my way.
I think that if having your dogs at your wedding makes your special day more special and memorable than they should be there, they too are family. You live with them and spend everyday with them, they are a very important part of your family. I'd much rather have my dogs at my wedding than Uncle Joe from Timbuktu, whom I have only met twice. Also I don't see how having your dogs at you wedding makes your vows any less serious.

"I mean, if Dogs and Cats are OK... why not a Monkey for the Preacher and Trained Seal for the Organist?"
Well obviously a monkey can't be a Preacher and I doubt a seal would make a good organist but we're talking about a job in the wedding typically done by a 3 year old child. The dogs will probably do a better job and she will appreciate it more because they are her own kids.

BOBS DAD
08-21-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't see how having your dogs at you wedding makes your vows any less serious.

"I mean, if Dogs and Cats are OK... why not a Monkey for the Preacher and Trained Seal for the Organist?"
Well obviously a monkey can't be a Preacher...

You may be right!!! I mean... I think we are in complete agreement over the Reception thing. It is "YOUR" day and plan and do it however you want. You want it to be the most enjoyable and memorable day of your life.

I guess I just get stuck on the wedding thing a little. I have seen a number of posts here with regards to failing or lost marriages. Some seem to think that their spouses did not take their vows too seriously or that they didn't think that forever "meant forever". I wonder if when they said their "I do's", were they really understanding the permanence of the situation. Or was it just something they muttered between the songs, pomp and ceremony. Did the "dogs" take center stage and was their attention more on the trappings and less on their "promises" to each other. I SAY, LET LOOSE AND "LET THE DOGS OUT" AT THE PARTY - your reception.

And I think you are wrong about the monkey... I think in some states if you have 45 minutes to spare and can come up with 137.99, you can be ordained online! LOL - Funny, but I am not joking!!!

Husky_mom
08-21-2006, 03:35 PM
WOW!!! CONGRATS!!! I wish I couldŽve had my dogs at my wedding, but hubby is not an animal person :rolleyes: adn my inlaws wouldŽve killed me :rolleyes: but hey if you can do it adn want it GO FOR IT!!

I love how the cutsey pups have a special input on a wedding and how important is to the owner........awwww.......

I think if you have well trained dogs that can behave accordingly to a serious ceremony then why not??, unless you have a really untrained unbehaved dog that would cause a riot in the middle and let everyone focus on that, but even in that event it will be funny to remember the chaos LOL

sorry I have no ideas as of right now, but the rings and flower girl ones are great, iŽll try find out something adn post later on....

CONGRATS again and please please keep us posted with any updates and many many pics when the day comes..........

Pembroke_Corgi
08-21-2006, 07:00 PM
I guess I just get stuck on the wedding thing a little. I have seen a number of posts here with regards to failing or lost marriages. Some seem to think that their spouses did not take their vows too seriously or that they didn't think that forever "meant forever". I wonder if when they said their "I do's", were they really understanding the permanence of the situation. Or was it just something they muttered between the songs, pomp and ceremony. Did the "dogs" take center stage and was their attention more on the trappings and less on their "promises" to each other. I SAY, LET LOOSE AND "LET THE DOGS OUT" AT THE PARTY - your reception.
I think everyone is different in terms of what they want at a wedding. I hate big events, I don't enjoy many parties, and certainly not when I'm the main event. I got married last year and it was just Eric & I. I don't think for a moment we are any less commited to each other because there wasn't a big audience or I wasn't wearing a white dress or it wasn't "serious." I say, go out and enjoy yourself rather than being uncomfortable, just for the sake of being serious! A marraige is something to celebrate, and I think people should try to do that more, even if it doesn't turn out "perfect" because there were dogs. If I had wanted a ceremony, I would have had my pets in it too!

I_luv_rusty
08-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Congrats!!! I'm pleased to hear your great news!!! You'll have to have someone take pictures. That so lovely that your dogs are going to be in your wedding, and be their for your special day. I'm sure you, HJ will look great :D

Jessika
08-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Sorry I haven't been around as much but we're out of town and without wireless internet and I hate bothering my sister to use her computer... but she isn't home now so I'll use it all I want lol

Anyway I don't see how having my dogs at the wedding will make it any less serious? I mean, if they were my human kids, they would be in it, correct? As previously mentioned the dogs will probably be more well-behaved than any child I can think of that I know to be a flower girl or ring bearer. Throughout my life, all the weddings I have attended, there have been VERY FEW where one of the kids haven't freaked out and started crying or ran out of the building altogether. I would HATE to have that happen. The worse that would happen with my two is they would run straight to us -- which is what I hope will happen! They wouldn't be walking themselves anyway, they would have the junior bridesmaid and junior groomsman walking them down the aisle.

Anyway thank you all for the congratulations and well wishes. I've already been looking at dresses... I will have to post pictures later when the hubby-to-be isn't around (because we know that's bad luck!!).

Also, we have been together for nearly 5 years now. His family and him are the type of person to work things out. His (and my) view on love and marriage is that it is not just a feeling, but a commitment. There will be days when him and I will just absolutely hate each other. But we have commited ourselves to each other. So eventhough we will fall in and out of love, we will ALWAYS work it out.

caseysmom
08-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Its your special day, I say do it how you want.