PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Asap Please!!

M&M's Mommy
08-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Yesterday I found this dog hidding in the bush in my back yard. I've asked around the neighborhood, but no one knows where it's coming from or whose it belongs to. Would you please help id him, and let me know approximately how old is he?

What should I do?? I would like to keep him, but my husband is reluctant.. I have been giving it water & food, but it looks like it's been starving for some times..

Thank you so much!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Image2.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Image1.jpg

If I call animal control, and then decided that we'd like to keep him, would they let me do that??

CathyBogart
08-19-2006, 08:06 PM
What a handsome boy! In my area, animal control will hold the dog for a certain amount of time waiting for the owners to claim him and then will release him to the finders if they want the dog. I don't know if it's like that everywhere. Good luck convincing hubby, he's a HANDSOME dog!

Jadapit
08-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Omg, he's beautiful. He's a pittie. I'm not real sure on his age I have a hard time guessing the age thing, maybe 4-5 months old? Some one may have dumped him, that happens to pit bulls quite often. :(

*edit to add*
He might have something else in him also, his tail looks a little different that a pure pit but I'm sure he does have a lot of pit in him. Gosh, I wish I would have found him. ;)

wolf_Q
08-19-2006, 08:18 PM
He is a beautiful dog! He looks like he has some shar-pei in him to me...or am I the only crazy one who sees that? ;)

CathyBogart
08-19-2006, 08:20 PM
He is a beautiful dog! He looks like he has some shar-pei in him to me...or am I the only crazy one who sees that? ;)

You're not crazy, I see it too. :)

luvofallhorses
08-19-2006, 08:21 PM
he's adorable! :) I am in love. He looks young. check his teeth if you can get close to him and you can usually tell how young he is. if they are pretty white, I would think he is under a year. If they have a little tartar on them, probably 1 year - 2 years. :) and if he has a lot..probably 2 years - 3 years :) but I am guessing he's under a year. I hope you find his owners, if not I hope he can stay with you! :)

k9krazee
08-19-2006, 08:34 PM

I see it too!

Animal control around here would hold him for 4-7 days and if he wasn't claimed then he'd are put up for adoption (and you could adopt him then).

I would make posters though, or put an ad in the paper saying you found him if you decide not to take him to animal control. I'd take him in and checked for a microchip too.

Good luck, he is a very handsome boy!

Good luck!

Jadapit
08-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I must be blind! :p I dont see any shar-pei in him. May I ask where you girls see the shar-pei?

M&M's Mommy
08-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I did posted his pictures around, but no one has come to claim him yet. No, I do not dare come near him yet (let alone check out his teeths :D). He's very shy. We called him, but he did not come out from his hidding place. We had to place the food down, then stepped away, then he'd come out to eat it.

Kfamr
08-19-2006, 08:42 PM
He totally looks part Shar Pei to me. The shape of his muzzle/face.
http://www.furryfriendsrescue.org/ffrpuppy_melanie1-lg.jpg

His coat/tail reminds me of a Lab, though. Not sure if I see Pittie.

Keep us updated on him for sure, he's a cutie!

CathyBogart
08-19-2006, 08:45 PM
I must be blind! :p I dont see any shar-pei in him. May I ask where you girls see the shar-pei?

I see it in the square-ish face and his slightly wrinkly head. I walk a dog who is Shar Pei X Chow and her face is the same shape with the same wrinkles. (Just a little fluffier)

sammy101
08-19-2006, 08:48 PM
I dont see any pittie in him.I do see alot of Sharpei though!He's adorable!Good luck!Please keep us posted :)

Jadapit
08-19-2006, 08:49 PM
The pit bulls foreheads also wrinkle up. I guess I'm just getting old and blind. :p

He does look a lot like the picture Kay posted. I owned a pit bull/ shar-pei. He had the little ears that folded over and the curly tail. He was the most beautiful dog ever. :D

Riptide
08-19-2006, 09:19 PM
My initial thought was pit x shar pei also. He's a handsome boy, though, and I'm sure he'll have no problem finding a home if he's not claimed ^^

lisahumphreys882
08-19-2006, 10:00 PM
He looks around 6-7 months. I think he looks sort of like a mastiff type breed.

areias
08-19-2006, 10:11 PM
My best guess is Sharpei/Lab/Pit. :) I definately see sharpei.

Poor boy. Keep trying to get him to come out! Lots of cookies...:)

Corinna
08-19-2006, 10:12 PM
All I see isa snuggle bug in need of a snuggleee .

Love That Collie
08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh, yeah, pit bull ...........and to me his muzzle does partly look like
Shar-Pei

M&M's Mommy
08-20-2006, 01:16 AM
All I see isa snuggle bug in need of a snuggleee .

:) Yeah. I see that too. He's a very shy boy. We called for him, but he did not come out from his hidding place. We had to place the food down, then stepped away, then he'd come out to eat it. If we turn around, he'd back up behind the bush again.

The pictures I took were from afar, using my highest zoom, so it's not very clear, but I think you can get the idea of how big/old he is, and approx. his age. If he's a young pup, then I'd feel more confident handling him. I wanted to help him, but do not want to get bitten by him.

We've decided to keep him for a few days to see if someone will claim him. After that, we'll take him to the local shelter for adoption. As much as I wanted to keep him, I have to agree with my husband that we cannot afford a large breed dog at this time, plus we've already have our handful with Missy & Mocha!

Too bad, but I think he's gonna be better off with someone else who has more time & resources to take care of him than we do.

Edit: I've also placed an ads which will be printed on tomorrow local newspaper. If he belongs to someone, he'd be returned to his owner in no time. I hope.

Dorothy39
08-20-2006, 01:28 AM
I sure do wish I lived closer!!! :(

I would take that dog, willingly!!!!!!

Muddy4paws
08-20-2006, 11:53 AM
:) Yeah. I see that too. He's a very shy boy. We called for him, but he did not come out from his hidding place. We had to place the food down, then stepped away, then he'd come out to eat it. If we turn around, he'd back up behind the bush again.

The pictures I took were from afar, using my highest zoom, so it's not very clear, but I think you can get the idea of how big/old he is, and approx. his age. If he's a young pup, then I'd feel more confident handling him. I wanted to help him, but do not want to get bitten by him.

We've decided to keep him for a few days to see if someone will claim him. After that, we'll take him to the local shelter for adoption. As much as I wanted to keep him, I have to agree with my husband that we cannot afford a large breed dog at this time, plus we've already have our handful with Missy & Mocha!

Too bad, but I think he's gonna be better off with someone else who has more time & resources to take care of him than we do.

Edit: I've also placed an ads which will be printed on tomorrow local newspaper. If he belongs to someone, he'd be returned to his owner in no time. I hope.

Keep at it! He will gain your trust, my nan had the same situation with a cat in her garden it was basically dragging its backend because it had injured its back legs, it took her about 2 weeks to finally get the cat to come close enough to stroke it, she was even out in the garden making a DIY shelter for him while he was out there, she used to put the food close and closer to the house each time and he realised that she only wanted to help him, she also wanted to keep him because she grew so attached but she couldnt because of the other male cat she has, she took it to the vet and paid for all the vet bills and passed it on to a rescue to rehome so please dont feel bad at all for rehoming him hes a gorgeous dog he will find a home very soon!

Reachoutrescue
08-20-2006, 11:59 AM
He is so handsome!! I see shar-pei as well, I also see Pittie. My dog is Pittie mix and that dog's face resembles my scruff! Good luck with him. He looks about a year or so.