PDA

View Full Version : Could this be dangerous?? (Need advice!!!)

Kirsten
08-19-2006, 05:28 AM
I collected some feathers downtown this morning for a photo project, I think those I found are from a dead pigeon, at least there were many feathers in one spot, so I figure it's been the rest of a cat's meal. :eek:

Anyway, I collected some and brought them home in a little plastic bag, but while I was unpacking some other things I have bought this morning, Lily found the feathers in the bag and chewed on them. Now I'm afraid she may have picked up some disease from the feathers.

What do you think?

Kirsten

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-19-2006, 05:50 AM
I have NO idea, Kirsten... . Cannot you call your vet and ask advize?

Kirsten
08-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Well, it's a Saturday, and I don't even think she's back from her vacation yet... :(

In the meantime, I spoke to a friend who has a dog, and she said dogs do that all the time, and most of the time, nothing happens.

I know it would also be a normal thing for outdoor cats, but Lily and Luna live indoors, far away from all these things. What amazed me was how quickly she found the feathers - as if she smelled them -, and how attracted she was by them. Guess the predator in her awoke when she smelled them. :confused:

Kirsten

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-19-2006, 06:02 AM
My cats "ate" a pigeon baby a while ago! The mom had her nest just under the roof. The baby fell out when it learned to fly.... :( . Of course, 3 "hungry" cats were waiting, ready for an extra meal :eek:
They didn't get sick, but Inka threw up some "left-overs" :rolleyes: :D

Cataholic
08-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Kirsten, I might wash the feathers, unless that would ruin your use for them? Outside things have germs (yes, indoor things, too), and since we keep the furry ones inside, they don't have much exposure to them. Chances are nothing will happen othere than Lily being excited over the smells.

sirrahbed
08-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Outside kitties would be doing this all the time. I think it is pretty remote that Lily will become sick. I think Johanna's idea about washing them would be a good one.

Isn't that amazing how they catch the scent and become predators?? Lily the hunter!!

What are you working on with feathers? I bet photography is involved!! ;)

catnapper
08-19-2006, 09:01 AM
I agree with everyone else, I wouldn't worry about it. Pouncer caught himself a live bird once and he was just fine (though I myself was a wreck afterwards).

Catty1
08-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Here's a quick way to sterilize them....put damp rag and the feathers in a microwave and "steam" them for one minute(feathers are delicate, so you may have to watch).

At the kennel where I worked, I was often given cat toys from the old lost and found, and was told to do this to sterilize them as much as possible.

Lily, Might-Hunter-Of-Feathers!

I am sure she will be ok...just keep an eye on her.

hugs!

kuhio98
08-19-2006, 09:21 AM
I don't think I'd worry about it either. If kitties and people were that fragile, we would have been extinct long ago. I know that some birds carry mites, so maybe look in the bag to see if any critters jumped off the feather -- but don't stress too much.

sasvermont
08-19-2006, 09:30 AM
I think I would keep an eye open for illness, but I do think it is not likely that your kitty would "get something"..... Much to my dislike, cats nab birds all the time and eat them. I think its called Mother Nature and the Food Chain! Not my style of fun for pets, but pets often think differently.

I would wash the feathers first, the next time....just to be on the safe side.

Many diseases do NOT transfer between species. Many is the operative word. Some do.

Have you tried doing a little Google search on the topic?

I love your photos of your girls. You have such a great camera and terrific photography skills. :)

Kirsten
08-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks everyone! I will watch Lily closely, and whenever something strange happens with her in the near future, I will inform the vet about the feather. Guess there isn't much else I can do now.

I'm sure she was all excited about the feather, and would have loved to hunt the bird they belonged to. :eek:

What are you working on with feathers? I bet photography is involved!!

Yes, I tried something, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted. Nothing that's worth being posted. Looks like I still have to learn a lot! LOL

Kirsten

jazzcat
08-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I agree with the others that she will probably be fine.

My Dad's cat Miss Kitty is quite the hunter, probably from living on her own her first year or so, and she loves to bring her prizes to the back door as gifts. Although she has slowed down a lot lately so far this year she has presented Dad with a pile of feathers and sadly the head of a squirrel. She's never been sick from any of it.

catmandu
08-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Actually I clean feathers from Pigeons and make Cat Toys out of them, and My Cats and Many Pet talker Cats love them.
Its that hunter in our Cats that will never completely go away.