PDA

View Full Version : *****I Need Urgent Help!!!***** Sick Kitten!

joanofark
08-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Ok, I want to cry. Aslan is already sick! It sorta started this morning. He's puked 6 times since this morning and can't leave his litterbox for more than a couple minutes-- he has serious runs. He's been puking (And pooping) white stuff. Is it milk? We gave him easy digest milk that we gave Hobo when he was a kitten. Can that be doing this? I really need help, can anyone tell me what this might be? I'm really scared for him!! I got some pictures a couple days ago (When he was feeling ok), I'll try to upload them sometime soon. Had anyone ever experienced this? when it first started we thought it might be a hairball... but we don't know now. PLEASE help!! It's very urgent! :(:(

Kirsten
08-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Poor Aslan!!

Hard to tell what it is, but I'd say he should see a vet as soon as possible!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's something that's easy to cure, but please let him see a vet! This is a serious condition for a kitten!

Kirsten

Catty1
08-18-2006, 03:06 PM
If you just started him on the cat milk recently, just before this started, I would say that is the problem.

Stop giving him the stuff, and call your vet to be on the safe side.

Try and keep him hydrated, have water for him!

joanofark
08-18-2006, 03:17 PM
I guess I'll ask mom if she can talk to the vets. I just gave him some water, and he has nothing to do with it. :( all he's doing right now is lying next to the litterbox sleeping......

Kirsten
08-18-2006, 03:22 PM
I hope he's not already dehydrated. Hope you'll convince your mom to drive him to the vet asap!

Kirsten

joanofark
08-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Once Their dehydrated they don't want water?? :eek: :( :''''(

krazyaboutkatz
08-18-2006, 03:27 PM
If I was you I'd take the kitten to the vet asap. If Aslan becomes too dehydrated he can die.:( The vet may need to put some subcutaneous fluids in him. You can learn to do this at home too. Please take him to the vet before it's too late.:(

Lizzie
08-18-2006, 03:28 PM
If he's refusing to drink water, even though he is seriously dehydrated by now, then he is very ill. A hairball would not cause this type of extreme reaction. If I found a kitten lying beside a litter box, exhausted from diarrhoea, I'd be in my car on the way to vet in less than a minute.

Lizzie
08-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Once Their dehydrated they don't want water?? :eek: :( :''''(

When they are that dehydrated, they don't have the will to drink water even though they need it desperately.

Kirsten
08-18-2006, 03:30 PM
No, not necessarily... Kittens often refuse to drink water when they are not used to it.

I thought he may already be dyhydrated because he seems to be weak as he's sleeping next to his litter box now. Is his nose dry and warm? And when you take his skin between your thumb and forefinger, is it elastic, or does it take a couple of seconds before it "unwrinkles"? Are his gums pale?

However, this sounds like a serious condition to me and you shouldn't hesitate to bring him to a vet!

Kirsten

Craftlady
08-18-2006, 03:30 PM
I got this information off the web:

"You can tell if your cat is dehydrated by doing the 'pinch' test. Take a bit of skin on the cats back and pinch it, let go and see how long it takes for the skin to retract back to its normal spot. The skin should be extremely elastic and immediately bounce back, if it takes more than a second or two your cat is probably dehydrated."

Additonal information found here : dehyrdration (http://www.thepetprofessor.com/articles/article.aspx?id=346)

I would be calling your vet ASAP.

Lizzie
08-18-2006, 03:34 PM
No, not necessarily... Kittens often refuse to drink water when they are not used to it.

Kirsten

I've never seen a kitten that didn't drink water, I guess because the ones I've fostered and adopted had been away from their mother for a while. You mean kittens that have just been taken from their mother?

joanofark
08-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Is nose IS dry. Is gums are the sme color as my healthy boy, Hobo's. And His skin DOES NOT snap back into place, It did the same thing at it did when I did it to Hobo. Thank you SO much for the advice everyone, I'm going to talk to mom now.

Kirsten
08-18-2006, 03:38 PM
So it sounds like he IS dehydrated. Please tell your mother not to lose any time!

Good luck and best wishes for little Aslan! I'll keep both of you in my thoughts tonight!

Kirsten

joanofark
08-18-2006, 03:40 PM
So it sounds like he IS dehydrated. Please tell your mother not to lose any time!

Good luck and best wishes for little Aslan! I'll keep both of you in my thoughts tonight!

Kirsten

Thanks, and mom said she thinks his skin is snaping back. I'm really upset. We don't have much money left after school supplies right now, but mom's calling the vet anyway.... :( thanks for you help guyss. :'''(

Gosh, here comes the tears.

Kirsten
08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I've never seen a kitten that didn't drink water, I guess because the ones I've fostered and adopted had been away from their mother for a while. You mean kittens that have just been taken from their mother?

Both Luna and my RB Katz refused to drink water first, because they were not used to it (their previous owners gave them milk :(). I had to buy cat milk for them and mix it with water, later I added more water etc. etc. until they finally accepted pure water. Wasn't easy! :rolleyes:

Kirsten

joanofark
08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Wait, I just took his colar off and he stood up and started batting at it.... :)

Kirsten
08-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Gosh, here comes the tears.

(((HUGS))) I know how you feel right now... :(

Edit:

Wait, I just took his colar off and he stood up and started batting at it....

Was he playing? Try to offer him some water NOW.

Kirsten

joanofark
08-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Mom called the vet!!! :)

She said, if he just started this this morning, and we just started giving him cat milk. She's sure that thats the problem. She said to not give him milk OR cat milk and said that neither is good no matter what the lables say. She said just like humans, lying near the litter box is common. And just lik humans, when they're feeling yucky they feel sluggish. She said it takes around 36 hours for a kitten to FULLY dehydrate. So right now he might be starting to show the signs of starting....:) She said, if he hasn't puked in about an half hour (which it's been) he probally has all of the bad stuff up. She said if he gets worse, and other problems come up, to call her.

I want to thank EVERYONE for the advice, kind words, and the thoughts! Yall are wonderful!! {{{{{{Hugs}}}}} keep thinking about us though!! :) ♥♥

Catty1
08-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Keep us posted on dear Aslan!

Craftlady
08-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Will keep good thoughts that all problems are over.

Lizzie
08-18-2006, 05:00 PM
That's wonderful news! Did your vet tell you what to feed him now? His digestive system will be a bit raw so I thought she might recommend something like A/D, a vet food, for a day. If you give him regular kitten food, I suggest dry because wet food can give them very wet stools even when they are totally well - as I know to my cost!!

joanofark
08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
He woke up, came over to me, and jumped up onto the computer desk!! :)

The first thing he did after that was go straight for the food bowl. I don't think he drank any though. thats a start!! The vet also said, he'll dirnk once he feels like it!! He's sleeping by the litter box again, right now but I'll update later. :)

kb2yjx
08-18-2006, 05:26 PM
If you give Aslan dry food, you might try adding a bit of water. If you give him canned food, you can add a bit of water to it. Aslan is a very sweet Orange baby!!! Good luck!!

Zippy
08-18-2006, 06:04 PM
I will send Prayers for Aslans recovery.

catmandu
08-18-2006, 07:32 PM
We are sending prayers for Aslan, and a few Cat Angels to encourage Aslan to drink somethhing.
This will be Moose Angels first assignment.

joanofark
08-18-2006, 08:08 PM
He finally took a looooooooooooong drink, and it playing again!! :) He gave me quite a scare!!

But I want to ask something. About a half hour after he drank, he went down to go pee..... and he couldn't. He's tried a couple times..... is that normal when the get sick like that?? Do you think the warter just didn't pass through him yet or something??? :confused:

Catty1
08-18-2006, 08:11 PM
He could still have been dehydrated a bit....just keep an eye on his next trip to the box. Likely his body soaked up all the water.

He is sounding so much better!

zoey
08-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Aslan! I'm so happy your tummy is a bit better. *gentle belly rubs*

joanofark
08-18-2006, 08:27 PM
He's gone to the litter box a couple more times but never peed. He's being so sweet right now though. ^_^ I'm resizing a ton of pictures right now I'm gonna post soon. :)

Catty1
08-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Maybe just call the vet once more to report that Aslan is doing better - and how long should it be before he pees?

Just to check.

Kirsten
08-19-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm very relieved to hear that Aslan is doing better! Sounds like he really had a bad problem with the milk.

Regarding the peeing: I noticed that when Luna has diarrhea, it usually takes a while until she's peeing again. Guess it takes a while until there's enough fluid in their system again.

Kirsten

rg_girlca
08-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Phew!!! What a scary time it was for you, but I am so happy to hear that Aslan is doing much better.

I hope by the time I have written this that you have made a nice pee biscuit for your worried meowmie.

joanofark
08-19-2006, 03:42 PM
He's perfectly fine now!! He's peed a couple times, eats regularly and drinks regularly... No more milk for him though!! :p

Thanks SO much, everyone!

rg_girlca
08-19-2006, 03:47 PM
YYYYAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear this.

Wait a go widdle guy and I pray that you continue to stay well. :)

Cataholic
08-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Whew! Thank goodness he is feeling better. When I first read about the going to the litter box and not peeing, I thought maybe his bowls were still spasming, and he felt the urge to have diahrea, not pee, so, nothing came out, pee-wise???

kimlovescats
08-19-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm so glad to hear that little Aslan is doing much better! Milk is well-known for causing diarrhea, especially in little ones. Well, now you know! ;)