PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Canon S2's macro

catnapper
08-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Ive seen some awesome macro shots from those of you with this camera. I just started experimenting with it and having some major issues - mainly my camera is NOT focusing. At ALL when I get close up on a subject.

I have a ring that needs to be photographed for ebay. Well over 100 shots were taken and I can not get the darn camera to focus. I've gone closeup, far away, and everything in between and I can't focus. The best is a few feet away on a tripod. I got some halfway decent shots but definately not detailed shots, and if anything I would consider them a bit blury. I tried indoor, outdoor, bright light, subdued light. EVERYTHING.

I thought perhaps it was the diamonds (oh yeah this rig has some major bling bling :rolleyes: ) so I tried phtographing macros of the monsters. No luck there. Then I tried different things, and still no luck. Remembering the COOL insect shots people showed, I went outside in search of a photogenic insect. I came across a grasshopper. After a dozen or so shots, I came in and downloaded my experiemnt. Only two were usable and I cropped out 3/4 the picture. I simply CAN NOT get close up like it seems everyone else can.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a best setting for macros? I've tried Auto, portrait, and scene modes. Am I going too close to the subject? Wrong lighting? Too windy? What?!? Is it possible my camera's macro is just a dud? Or does everyone else seem to take 10 pics until they get one right?

Attached is the best grashopper pic. I still don't think its as detailed as some of the others PTers have posted.

Toby's my baby
08-18-2006, 05:10 PM
I only use my macro on the "P" setting. Depending on how close you are (guessing you are pretty close if you are taking pictures of a ring) you should probably use "super macro". To get this setting, you hold down the "macro" button instead of just pressing it, until there is a "s" in the flower. Hope that makes sense, if not, feel free to pm me.

RobiLee
08-18-2006, 07:51 PM
I can't take macro shots with my camera either. It drives me crazy. I try and try and try. I never get shots like the others have posted and it drives me crazy!...lol

I use the P mode. I turn the flash down. I use macro. I use super macro. They all come out looking like crap!

catnapper
08-18-2006, 07:58 PM
I can't take macro shots with my camera either. It drives me crazy. I try and try and try. I never get shots like the others have posted and it drives me crazy!...lol

I use the P mode. I turn the flash down. I use macro. I use super macro. They all come out looking like crap!
Glad its not just me! I LOVE everything about this camera except the macro. The colors come out fabulous. Part of me was thinking of returning it for another of the same camera in case my macro is defective. But then I worry that the new camera won't have the same superior color like this one.... like maybe the color is bumped up nicer because the macro is suffering? LOL

shais_mom
08-18-2006, 11:51 PM
if I try using the auto setting mine come out crappy - but on any other setting they are fine.
interesting

Kirsten
08-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Kim, I wish my manual was in English, so it would be easier for me to tell you what to do. I had the same problems first, but you have to set your focus on "spot" (the icon looks like this: [.], sort of). Also, set your IS mode on "shoot only".

Hope this helps! :)

Kirsten