PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember when?

Jadapit
08-18-2006, 12:08 PM
This really does bring back some great memories.
….Close your eyes...And go back...

....Before the Internet or PC or the MAC......

....Before semi-automatics and crack....

....Before Play Station, SEGA, Super Nintendo, even before Atari...

....Before cell phones, CD's, DVD's, voicemail and e-mail....

....way back....

....way.....way.....way back.....

I'm talkin' bout hide and seek at dusk

Red light, Green light

Red Rover....Red Rover.....

Playing kickball & dodge ball until the first...no...second...no...third Streetlight came on

Ring around the Rosie

London Bridge

Hot potato

Hop Scotch

Jump rope

Duck....duck....GOOSE!!!

YOU'RE IT!!

Parents stood on the front porch and yelled (or whistled for you to come home - no pagers or cell phones

Mother May I?

Hula Hoops

Seeing shapes in the clouds

Endless summer days and hot summer nights (no A/C) with the windows open

The sound of crickets

Running through the sprinkler

Happy Meals

Cereal boxes with that GREAT prize in the bottom

Cracker jacks with the same thing

Ice pops with 2 sticks you could break and share with a friend

...but wait.....there's more....

Watchin' Saturday Morning cartoons

Fat Albert, Road Runner, Smurfs, Picture Pages, G-Force & He-Man, Bugs Bunny

Schoolhouse Rock

Watchin' Sunday morning oldies (Abbott & Costello, Three Stooges)

Wonder Woman & Super Man Underoos

FONZIE.....AYYYYYYYY

Playing Dukes of Hazard

Watchin' lightning bugs in a jar

Christmas morning

Your first day of school

Bedtime Prayers and Goodnight Kisses

Climbing trees

Swinging as high as you could to try and reach the sky

Getting an Ice Cream off the Good Humor Truck

A million mosquito bites and sticky fingers

Jumpin' down the steps

Jumpin' on the bed

Pillow fights... Sleep-overs

A 13" black and white TV in your room meant you were RICH

Runnin' till you were out of breath

Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt

Being tired from PLAYING

WORK: meant taking out the garbage or doing the dishes

Your first crush

Your first kiss (I mean the one that you kept your mouth CLOSED and your eyes OPEN

Rainy days at school meant playing "Heads up 7UP" or hangman" in the classroom, Remember that?

Oh, I'm not finished yet...

Kool-Aid was the drink of the summer

So was a swig from the hose

Giving your friends a ride on your handlebars

Wearing your new shoes on the first day of school

Class Field Trips with soggy sandwiches

When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there

When a quarter seemed like a fair allowance; and another quarter a MIRACLE

When ANY parent could discipline ANY kid, or feed him, or use him to carry groceries...And nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing about it.

When your parents took you to McDonalds and you were COOL

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited you at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.

Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! And some of us are still afraid of em!

Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that!"

Well, let's keep going!! Let's go back to the time when...

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo"

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do over!"

"Race issues" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in
monopoly"

Catching fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

Being old, referred to anyone over 20. (CRAP! I'm officially old!)

The worst thing you could catch from t he opposite sex was cooties.

Nobody was prettier than Mom.

Scrapes and bruises were kissed by mom or grandma and made better

It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride the "big people" rides at the amusement park.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare"

Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

Water balloons were the ultimate, ultimate weapon.

Older siblings were your worst tormentors, but also your fiercest protector

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their "grown-up" life......

I TRIPLE DOG DARE YA!!!!!!

luvofallhorses
08-18-2006, 12:20 PM
:D I remember almost all of those. thanks so much for sharing! :)

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

um..I don't think so! :p not for me anyways. :p

lv4dogs
08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I remember every single one of those.

Thanks for making me feel old again. :rolleyes: lol lol

Laura's Babies
08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Todays kids would really feel deprived in our world of yesterday. I hear those ringing cell phones in Wal Mart and wonder how in the world did we manage 20 years ago.

catlover4ever
08-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Thank you.....that brought a big smile to my face and also some great big tears of joy...remembering....life's good, especially to those of us who remember.

Dorothy39
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
I have received that , in an e-mail before. and, I loved reading it all over again.

I remember Mighty Mouse , Heckle and Jeckle, Red Rover, Mickey Mouse Club, Staying awake all night on Christmas Eve :eek: ,oh, I could just go on and on!!!

Remember those jump rope jingles?

Johnny Over the Ocean,

Johnny Over the Sea,

Johnny broke a milk bottle, and blamed it onto me,

I told Ma, Ma told Pa,

Johnny got a lickin, Ha, Ha, Ha,

How many lickens did he get that week!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Gosh I remember way before some of those, back to a time BEFORE McDonald's, when the burger joints began, with burgers 12 for a dollar:

when if you were a kid and needed money, you traded pop bottles in for 2 cents each

you got lots of candy for a penny

not everyone had indoor plumbing. Outhouses were an adventure everyone should try at least once to really appreciate indoor plumbing now

watermelon on a hot summer day made the day a lot cooler

some telephones were on party lines

tvs were all black and white

Nehi soda, especially grape and strawberry were the drinks to have on hot summer days

root beer floats

The Lone Ranger and Sky King and Fury, were the shows to watch on Saturday mornings along with Popeye and Howdy Doody.

When air conditioning was first introduced. Movie theaters would post signs to come inside where it was cool because of the ac.

Free passes to the movies on Saturday afternoons just because we were kids

roasting hot dogs and marshmallows on bonfires - always at least one hot dog would fall off the stick into the fire

when there were ice houses that sold ice by the block

when you hand cranked home made ice cream

feeling safe because mom and dad were there
:)

buttercup132
08-18-2006, 01:24 PM
I remeber those things!!
Alot still happen with little kids though
Oh the memories

Jadapit
08-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Moff, I remember so much of what you posted. I can remember going to my grandparents, I have a lot of cousins they would all be there and we would all take turns churning the ice cream. My grandparents owned a dairy farm so the ice cream was made with fresh cream. Those were such *happy* times.

Another thing I thought of was Chinese Jump Rope. Does anyone remember playing that? I loved that game. :D

Dorothy39
08-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Yes, I do remember Chinese Jump rope!!!

Remember how it could make your ankles sting!!!! :eek: :D

mruffruff
08-18-2006, 02:01 PM
I remember all of those. We were such lucky kids!

cyber-sibes
08-18-2006, 02:04 PM
:) so many good memories! MOFF, we must be from the same generation...

Anyone remember "party line" telephones? I think we had 5 or 7 families on our phone line before we got a "private line" and felt rich!

The tinker would push a cart through the neighborhood & sharpen your knives & sissors. (maybe this is a unique memory - I grew up in an ethnic European neighborhood).

Every year the pony people brought a beautiful pinto pony around and you could take a ride on your street and get your picture taken? -still my favorite picture of myself!

Sunday afternoons were for eating an ice-cream cone while your dad drove around in the country.

Driving to the airport to watch planes take off was exciting fun.

How about when the bank would call you if you overdrew your account -- and give you a couple days to catch it up?

:) I wouldn't trade the world I grew up in for anything. Kinda makes me feel sorry for kids today.

Oggyflute
08-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Good memories. In some ways 'progress' has a lot to answer for.

Roxyluvsme13
08-18-2006, 10:38 PM
I remember alot of this stuff, and woww.. I miss it.. :(

cali
08-18-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm talkin' bout hide and seek at dusk but of coarse lol

Red light, Green light I forgot about that game till reading this

Red Rover....Red Rover..... remeber playing, remeber hating it

Ring around the Rosie this one I rememeber for sure! I used to play it during prayer meetings with my friend Sara every friday night

London Bridge I remeber playing it in grade 1

Hot potato kindergarden and birthday parties

Hop Scotch heck I STILL play hopscotch!

Jump rope I lived for skippng in elementry school

Duck....duck....GOOSE!!! remeber it, hated it.

YOU'RE IT!! never much liked tag either lol

Parents stood on the front porch and yelled (or whistled for you to come home - no pagers or cell phones front porch? lol I always played in a back ally, I lived on a busey street in front of a major hospital.

Mother May I? haha I remeber that

Hula Hoops I own 2, one of my faveriote outside passtimes lol

Seeing shapes in the clouds I still do this one too, but its no fun because my friends like looks at me like I have lost my mind.

The sound of crickets I still here the sound of crickets, but I do remeber running around the school yard catching grasshoppers lol

Running through the sprinkler who doesn't? if its hot..

Happy Meals haha I orderd those for years

Cereal boxes with that GREAT prize in the bottom is there not still? I recently got a bike speedomiter in a cerial box, and shortly before I got a camera lol

Ice pops with 2 sticks you could break and share with a friend
they still exsist... but I remeber the school giving them to us on hot days

Watchin' Saturday Morning cartoons duh

Fat Albert, Road Runner, Smurfs, Picture Pages, G-Force & He-Man, Bugs Bunny Road runner and bugs bunny, but my fav. weekend shows were not cartoons they were Mr. Dress-up(still watch it when its on, when ernie coombs died everone in my class was so upset, the whole thing was recorded in my yearbook) and Fred Penner, I dont find many others who remeber him though.

Schoolhouse Rock yup, schoolhouse rock taught me how to do my 9 times tables lol

Playing Dukes of Hazard OMG I LOVED Dukes of Hazard!

Christmas morning my Family has always celibrated Christmas half finnish half north american, the "big" day was x-mas eve, that was when we had the big meals and opened presents, x-mas morning was stockings only.

Your first day of school I remeber, I was terrified lol

Swinging as high as you could to try and reach the sky uhhh is it bad that I still do this?

Getting an Ice Cream off the Good Humor Truck nah, I was never allowed to get ice cream from the ice cream trucks and carts, so if I was with a frined and there parents got me some it was a very special treat.

A million mosquito bites and sticky fingers this is gone?

Jumpin' down the steps do it all the time..not when anyone is watching of coarse lol when noone is watching I never take the last 3 or 4 steps, I jump.

Jumpin' on the bed again, this is gone? hehe

Pillow fights... Sleep-overs I still have sleepovers and Im 18

A 13" black and white TV in your room meant you were RICH ok cant relate to that one, I have a 21" TV with digital cable in my room, and my family is poor.

Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt all the time, usualy its laugh so hard I cant breath.

Being tired from PLAYING what else would I be tired from?

WORK: meant taking out the garbage or doing the dishes haha that wasnt THAT long ago for me

Your first kiss (I mean the one that you kept your mouth CLOSED and your eyes OPEN first kiss? never happend, turned out everyone thinks Im gay lol

Rainy days at school meant playing "Heads up 7UP" or hangman" in the classroom, Remember that? in Elementry school, rain meant nothing, indoor recess was only if the weather was below -40*C in those cases I do remeber playing hang man and 7-up. in high school I remeber sneaking out of class into an empty classroom and playing video games lol

Kool-Aid was the drink of the summer I loved those days.. then my mom banned kool-aid from my house calling it poison.

So was a swig from the hose hehe

Giving your friends a ride on your handlebars my dad used to double my brother and I up on his bike and take us home from school.

When a quarter seemed like a fair allowance; and another quarter a MIRACLE haha I remeber that! my brother and I each had a calander on the wall, at the end of the week if all our chored were done we got a quarter.

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo" they still are lol

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do over!" also still are

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends. thats odd now?

Being old, referred to anyone over 20. (CRAP! I'm officially old!) haha my freinds call me older then dirt, and im only 18.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true. ya, I hate snow now lol

Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare" too shy, I always ignored those.

Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles. is it not?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. well....that screws me over!

Older siblings were your worst tormentors, but also your fiercest protector
my older brother and I have always got along, we went through 1 phase when I was in grade 8 that we ever fought, and that was entirly me, my brother is 20 and had never yelled at or teased me a day in his life.

Karen
08-18-2006, 11:13 PM
The only one of these that is an unpleasant memory is the "jumping on the bed" one. No child I have every babsat or lived with has been allowed to do this. Am I a big old meanie? No.

My brother (Lady's Human here on Pet Talk) was jumping up and down on his bed one night when he was about 4, and bit his tongue nearly off about 1/2 inch from the end. It was hanging on by a 1/4-inch piece. Blood? Blood everywhere! He barely remembers it, if at all, but I was 9, and I remember quite clearly, and could even tell you what pajamas he was wearing, and that his bed was on the right side of the room my brothers shared.

K9karen
08-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Those were the days. my friend..la la la la la.....

We rarely locked our house doors. Now, I triple check the house, the car, is my club on the steering wheel? Jesh.
I truly miss the milkman making his deliveries. In the winter, the top of the milk would freeze. I remember hucksters coming down the street-you could buy a bushel of tomatoes for around $1!!!!
Girl Scout cookies were 45 cents and when someone bought 2, I got to keep the dime change, which meant 2 huge candy bars!!!

BOBS DAD
08-18-2006, 11:50 PM
My moth-her punched your moth-her in the NOSE... what col-lor was the blood. R-E-D spells Red and you are not the one to be it.

If you worked out the cadence and sylables well enough you could always make it land on whoever you wanted. It took me many years to figure out that trick and realize that "my brothers" had been taking advantage of me and "making me the final it" forever.

I was like, "What??? This can't be!!! What are the odds that I am "IT" 472,345 times in a row"???????

BOBS DAD
08-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Those were the days. my friend..la la la la la.....

We rarely locked our house doors. Now, I triple check the house, the car, is my club on the steering wheel? Jesh.
I truly miss the milkman making his deliveries. In the winter, the top of the milk would freeze. I remember hucksters coming down the street-you could buy a bushel of tomatoes for around $1!!!!
Girl Scout cookies were 45 cents and when someone bought 2, I got to keep the dime change, which meant 2 huge candy bars!!!

HUCKSTERS??? That is great!!! I haven't heard that term since we were kids and waited on the street for "Mickey the Huckster" to come around in his overloaded stationwagon - filled with all kinds of consumables. We liked his doughnuts best!!! Thanks for the memories.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Thank you.....that brought a big smile to my face and also some great big tears of joy...remembering....life's good, especially to those of us who remember.

Exactly!! It brought tears in my eyes!!

Argranade
08-21-2006, 04:16 PM
I actualy remember alot of those things.

Today my family still loves Abbott & Costello, Three Stooges lol there so funny. :p :D