PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bulldog Tongue.

jakeryan4567
08-17-2006, 07:21 PM
I can't afford to take the dog to the Vet and face another big bill so hopefully someone on this forum can help or provide some advise.

I'm concerned about my 5 year old English Bulldog. About a week ago she got into my Mexican food. She'll eat anything so I'm not suprised she pulled it off the coffee table when I wasn't looking. The problem is, it was covered in HOT salsa. She had a bad tummy for a few days then about 3 days ago I noticed her tongue hanging way out. It has been over a week and not only does it still hang out but it is looking like it is getting longer!

It doesn't seem to bother her and she manages to eat and drink but the tongue gets crusty during the day. Not only that, but it drags all over my furniture, my legs and it just looks weird.

You can see photos of my bulldog here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeryan4567/

Anyone have any experience with this? Should I be worried? Help!?

Thanks everyone - Jake

Jods
08-17-2006, 07:29 PM
wow thats definaltly a long toungue you should really get it checked maybe go to a bulldog forum and ask them they might know what it is sortty I couldn't help more

lv4dogs
08-18-2006, 08:30 AM
There is a boxer somewhere (I've seen him on TV, all over the net etc..) that had the same problem. IF I remember right he had took the worlds record for the longest tongue on a dog?????? Anyways it ended up being some sort of muscle control problem.

Here's an article I just found about him:

* The Boxer Dog With The Longest T-o-n-g-u-e!

A boxer dog called Brandy featured on Ripley’s 'Believe It Or Not' due to her incredible 17 inch long tongue! Brandy, from Michigan, USA, was bought from a local breeder in 1995 and her new owner was assured the dog would eventually grow into her l-o-n-g t-o-n-g-u-e! She didn’t and on television she was shown performing antics such as eating from a bowl 13 inches away. Her owner, John Scheid, says brandy likes sunbathing and even gets tan lines on her tongue, but says the beautiful Boxer is fit, happy and healthy, so her unique feature isn’t a problem at all. She even has her own web site at: www.tungdog.com
http://www.tungdog.com/ (http://)

Here's a site with simialr dogs. I don't have time to really look into it so I do not know how much help you will find there but hopefully you will.
http://cairotheboxer.blogspot.com/2006/05/yogi-pug.html

Muddy4paws
08-18-2006, 05:05 PM
No offence to you but I think he needs to see a vet wether you can afford it or not, does your vet do a payment plan? I would be so worried if my dogs tounge was doing that, Can he control it at all? it looks like hes lost control of it :confused:

labmomma
08-19-2006, 09:24 AM
I'd take him to the vets to have him check out with the tongue problem. Your vet will most likely work with you regarding the bill. With the tongue hanging out like that damage could occur and then you'd really have a bill to contend with.
I understand your concern over the bill, but your dog is an investment for the rest of his life.
Good luck!! :)

pitc9
08-19-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry, I know you've already said you can't afford to take your dog to your vet, but I wouldn't have to think twice about taking him.
Money or no money....

MajesticCollies
08-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Maybe he was allergic to the spices and has deadened his muscular activity in his tongue. I can't give you any advice on how to cure that. Try some sour fruit or something on his tongue to see if he reacts to it. Maybe some orange juice or something like that. Try putting extra vitamins in his food maybe. You should probably seek some medical attention. Hopefully there is someone on here with an answer.

Daisy and Delilah
08-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Your dog's tongue doesn't look normal at all. I think he needs to get to the vet right away-when they see him, I'm sure they can work something out with you.

You posted this two days ago. Why haven't you been back? :confused:

lv4dogs
08-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Any updates? I hope all is well.

zoey
08-21-2006, 08:16 PM
I hope he's okay. Please let us know what happens. :(

pitc9
08-22-2006, 07:25 AM
:confused: