PDA

View Full Version : Country Star Accused of Killing Tame Bear

RobiLee
08-17-2006, 06:41 PM
I think this is disgusting. Why do people consider this type of thing "hunting".

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/music/articles/_a/country-star-accused-of-killing-tame/20060816124409990001?cid=525

Country Star Accused of Killing Tame Bear
Troy Gentry Could Face Prison, Hefty Fine if Convicted
AP

DULUTH, Minn. (Aug. 16) - Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry , has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tenn., and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004.

The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine.

Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry , along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

buttercup132
08-17-2006, 10:18 PM
penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine. GOOD!!
how stupid. Why pay that money to kill something. Why UGHH

I'm just going to get worked up about this.

This guy is a retard I hope he is convicted

zoey
08-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Sickening!!!!!
What a pathetic coward.

Karen
08-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Despicable.

Sevaede
08-18-2006, 01:17 AM
I cannot stand that. Ugh. Just, disgusting.

DJFyrewolf36
08-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Some people need to be slapped...a lot...:mad:

zippy-kat
08-18-2006, 02:13 AM
Gentry "... felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

If this is true then why did he edit the tape?

The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

Surprised to hear the indictment? Please. Sorry he got caught is more like it.

What kind of permit (if any) do you have to have to OWN a bear? What other animals does this guy own? What others has he sold? I hope they investigate this as well.

Pam
08-18-2006, 04:35 AM
This is beyond sick! :mad: :mad: :mad:

dukedogsmom
08-18-2006, 04:59 AM
Cowardly bas****! Poor bear.

Vela
08-18-2006, 05:17 AM
Well I hope he feels like a manly man now...freaking moron. I hope people stop being fans of his music and he ends up in jail. Poor bear.

moosmom
08-18-2006, 07:15 AM
Sorry he got caught is more like it.

Great minds think alike!! That's the first thing that entered my mind. Of course celebrities ALWAYS get cut a deal. God forbid a role model such as he should see the inside of a jail cell. That will never happen. :(

Poor Cubby :(

Daisy and Delilah
08-18-2006, 07:30 AM
I used to be a big fan of Mongomery Gentry. No harm to Eddie Mongomery but for crying out loud Troy!! What were you thinking? I see their popularity dropping like a rock. What a stupid, deranged, thing to do!! :mad: :( :mad:

elizabethann
08-18-2006, 08:06 AM
He's a star? I never heard of him.

He's a loser in my book.

lizbud
08-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Well I hope he feels like a manly man now...freaking moron. I hope people stop being fans of his music and he ends up in jail. Poor bear.

I agree with that. :mad:

It's not a "hunt" at all & it's not a sport.The bear even had a name for
crying out loud. It was Cubby. :(

JenBKR
08-18-2006, 08:51 AM
I used to be a big fan of Mongomery Gentry. No harm to Eddie Mongomery but for crying out loud Troy!! What were you thinking? I see their popularity dropping like a rock. What a stupid, deranged, thing to do!! :mad: :( :mad:

Me too, they have been one of my favorite country groups for a long time. I was so upset to hear about this yesterday. $20,000 and 5 years is not nearly enough IMO. I'm just sickened by this :(

pitc9
08-19-2006, 10:46 AM
:mad: :mad:
Jacka$$!!

mugsy
08-25-2006, 09:37 PM

I'm with you...I have always liked their music, but, no longer...and just FYI, Eddie Montgomery is defending what Troy did...I heard that he had done something, but, didn't know what when I heard Eddie defending him...

What a blooming idiot....I hope he feels good about himself, because soon he will be very lonely in that camp... :mad:

Pam
08-26-2006, 07:13 AM
I listen to country radio all of the time and yesterday one of their songs came on and I had to switch to another station. It just sickened me, knowing about this. I think their popularity will go the way of Tom Cruise. Weird/sick behavior is not going to play well with people.

Alysser
08-26-2006, 08:42 AM
URGH! Why in the h*** did he shoot the bear? Why do people have to do such sick things. IMO, since he is a country singer he must be rich, which mean $20,000 isn't nearly enough! :mad: JackA$$!!1 :mad:

KYS
08-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Very sad! I hope people will stop buying his music.

GreyhoundGirl
08-27-2006, 11:07 AM
He's a star? I never heard of him.

He's a loser in my book.

Ditto.