08-17-2006, 04:15 PM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/pet/195418589.html

buttercup132
08-17-2006, 04:36 PM
it says its beeen removed

ashleycat
08-17-2006, 05:10 PM
it says its beeen removed
that's weird, it still shows up on my end. I copied it.

It's a going to shelter, then to be put down story :(
-----------------

I am not trying to upset everyone but instead remind people before they take a family pet to the shelter that it is the animal that has to suffer the consequences so I hope they will try to find EVERY alternative and strongly consider the decision and its consequences. And yes, I do understand that sometimes people have no choice, but I also know that many times they do.

This is another one I have seen posted on here that has touched my heart.

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, age I became your best friend. Whenever I was"bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?"-but then you'd relent, and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams,and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforte you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love. She, now your wife, is not a "dog person"-still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch-because your touch was now so infrequent-and I would have defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me.

These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family. I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her."

They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home.

They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you- that you had changed your mind-that this was all a bad dream ... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room.

She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her.

The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself-a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her.

It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

By Jim Willis 2001

A note from the author:

If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly owned pets who die each year in American and Canadian animal shelters. Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice.

Please use it to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage adoption.

GreyhoundGirl
08-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Sniff, that is so sad, those things always make me ( tear falls onto keybord ) cry. Every last one of them. I just think that it happens to so many. And... And... ( tear fals again ) It's so sad. Sniff. :(

ashleycat
08-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Once I was a lonely dog Just looking for a home.
I had no place to go, No one to call my own.
I wandered up and down the streets, In rain, in heat, in snow.
I ate whatever I could find, I was always on the go.
My skin would itch, my feet were sore, My body ached with pain.
And no one stopped to give a pat Or gently say my name.
I never saw a loving glance, I was always on the run.
For people thought that hurting me, Was really lots of fun.
And then one day I heard a voice, So gentle, kind and sweet
And arms so soft reached down to me, And took me off my feet.
"No one again will hurt you" Was whispered in my ear.
"You'll have a home to call your own, Where you will know no fear".
"You will be dry, you will be warm, You'll have enough to eat
And rest assured, that when you sleep, Your dreams will all be sweet".
I was afraid, I must admit, I'd lived so long in fear.
I can't remember when I let A human come so near.
And as she tended to my wounds, And bathed and brushed my fur,
She spoke about the Rescue Group And what it meant to her.
She said, "We are a circle, A line that never ends.
And in the centre, there is you, Protected by new friends".
"And all around you Are the one's that check the pounds
And those that share their home, After you've been found.
And all the other folk, Are searching near and far,
To find the perfect home for you, Where you can be a star".
She said," There is a family, That's waiting patiently
And pretty soon we'll find them, Just you wait and see.
And then they'll join our circle, They'll help to make it grow,
So there'll be room for more like you, Who have no place to go".
I waited very patiently. The days they came and went.
Today's the day, I thought, My family will be sent.
Then just when I began to think it wasn't meant to be,
There were people standing there, Just gazing down at me.
I knew them in a heart beat, I could tell they felt it too.
They said," We have been waiting, For a special dog like you".
Now every night I say a prayer, To all the Gods that be.
" Thank you for the life I live And all you've given me,
But most of all, protect the dogs In pound and on the street.
And send a Rescue Person,
To lift them off their feet".Author: Arlene Pace.

Please pass this on to your friends.... it just may motivate someone to save a dog!

ashleycat
08-18-2006, 09:59 AM
I STOLE YOUR DOG TODAY

Copyright Jim Willis 2002

I stole your dog today. No, I didn't set a foot on your property, but from the condition of your dog, I can imagine what it looks like...the word "junkyard" comes to mind. I found her along a road, with a heavy chain wrapped around her neck, still attached to rotten boards from her doghouse, with rusty six-penny nails protruding. Not only did I know that most of the town had already ignored her, judging by where I found her, but I knew that if she had gotten into the woods the "cross" that she dragged behind her would have wrapped around a tree until starvation or thirst killed her. The local
populace is usually deaf to the sound or blind to the sight of an animal in need, unless they decide to shoot one for trespassing. That her ribs showed, that her ears were filthy, that her overall
condition was poor and that her coat and eyes were dull, were good indications that you didn't deserve her. But just to make sure, I checked with the local authorities for a report of a missing
(unlicensed) dog matching her description and to see if you'd placed a "lost dog" advertisement in the local newspaper. You hadn't, which I can only surmise means that you do not miss her. That's rather convenient, because the fact that she is not spayed, probably unvaccinated, and possibly heartworm positive means that restoring her health could cost me around a thousand dollars.
Perhaps it may be some small comfort to know that she doesn't miss you. In fact, her very act of escape made it clear that she'd had enough of your brand of pet guardianship. It took her about a day to realize that I'm not you, that I won't hurt her, that despite our brief acquaintanceship, I love her. It took two days for her to realize that the other animals who live here accept her and that one of the joys she has been missing has been the companionship of other dogs. It took three days for her to appreciate the ecstasy of a homecooked meal and that a couch is meant to be reclined on, and that she no longer has to sleep outside - in fact, when the thunder starts, she'll get a hug and her
ears rubbed, and I'll make a fool of myself with baby talk. She has a beautiful name now. Already in the first week she has come to look more like she should. Her eyes sparkle and she has learned to wag her tail in greeting. She has stopped flinching when I make a sudden movement, because she knows now that I won't beat her, in fact, she rarely leaves my side. She's even become brave enough to bark at a cat and today I watched from the window as she initiated play with the other dogs. No, it's clear she does not miss you or her former life of neglect on a chain. Of all the things that have become apparent from my brief relationship with her - such as the forgiving nature of the dog, their wonderful ability to heal and to trust, the fact that love can work miracles - one of the most apparent is what a fool you are. She was possibly the most trusting, loyal and loving being in your life, and you consigned her to a life of filth and loneliness until she made the best choice she's ever
made when she broke free. Perhaps her guardian angel helped her escape. Lest anyone should mistake me for a angel, I will admit that one day I hope to be as good as she; I believe she forgave you within the first twenty-four hours of her new life for the about four years of her previous "life," while I still try wrestle with the part of me that hopes that one day you will burn in Hell. It's not clear yet whether she'll remain here or whether I'll find her a loving home where she can count on more individual attention than I can give her, but one thing is certain, this is one bit of stolen "property"
who is never returning to you. So sue me, prosecute me, plead with the courts that she is rightfully yours...I'm convinced this is the best "crime" I've ever committed. Hardly anything has pleased me more than the day I stole your dog. I need only look into her beautiful brown eyes to know that she'd defend my decision with her life. If we have one prayer, it is that you will not replace her, and if we have one special day to commemorate together, it is the day I stole your dog and the day she stole my heart.

ashleycat
08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
my neighbor is fostering a doggie right now. Probably for a few more days.

She was wondering around our neighborhood. No tags, not even spayed. As if someone just let her go.

NO signs posted to find her.

She's really sweet, friendly and good with kids.

I don't understand why someone isn't looking for her.

I posted found dog on dfw.com, craigslist and a yahoo pet group. No replies. Shes posted at other places too.

I got an email from a lady wanting to adopther if owners not found. This makes me sad.