PDA

View Full Version : FURminator.. Groomers out there?

Muddy4paws
08-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Does anyone use this?

http://www.furminator.com/

I was thinking about getting one for my lab, She sheds so much even the zoom groom isn't working anymore, I've heard good and bad about it so I would like to hear some opinion because its quite expensive for a grooming tool, If it works I will buy it without a doubt..

Also do you find the shampoo helps? I been bathing dogs for a loong time now and can get a dog squeeky clean :p so would it work on a newly bathed dog just as good?

buttercup132
08-17-2006, 03:32 PM
I just use the brush not the shampoo and it works GREAT. It works better on short haired dogs in my opinion.
And its amazing on the horses.
We even use them in the groomers.

EDIT: try looking on ebay they are cheaper on there
thats where I got mine

ashleycat
08-17-2006, 03:33 PM
I wanna know too. That looks neat~

Muddy4paws
08-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I just use the brush not the shampoo and it works GREAT. It works better on short haired dogs in my opinion.
And its amazing on the horses.
We even use them in the groomers.

EDIT: try looking on ebay they are cheaper on there
thats where I got mine

I didnt even think about asking you! :rolleyes: It says they are used alot in America, I use a very high quality shampoo also imported called the Griminator which is one of the best I've found so far, so I can easily leave her a few months without a bath and her coat will still be clean its just the constant hair shedding thats quite annoying, You cant stroke her without getting a hairfull of hair to take away.. I have looked on ebay and I think I've found a nice site which seems quite cheap so I'll just see what ones cheaper at the time.

What size do you use? What the difference between yellow and blue?

buttercup132
08-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Just the size.

The yellow one is biggest and would do better for a lab.

The other two are medium size and small

The big yellow one would be the size of a slicker brush or a rake.

mruffruff
08-18-2006, 08:44 AM
I tried the Furminator on both short haired and long haired dogs.

I was not impressed. I felt that it was cutting the under hairs more than pulling loose ones out. I prefer using a metal comb. I lift the hair away from the skin and put the comb at the skin and comb out. It takes a while to cover the entire dog, but it gets all the loose hair. If I want to thin the dogs coat, I can use a small mat breaker.

Just my opinion. I've seen the Furminator in catalogs like Harriet Carter for around $10.

IRescue452
08-18-2006, 08:54 AM
It looks like a stripping knife, that cuts the hair and pulls as you go. Autumn gets stripped with a knife, it takes forever but gets most underhair gone so she's comfortable in the summer. Sonny has had that much hair come out of him with a regular shedding blade.

GreyhoundGirl
08-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Would one of those be too rough on greyhound skin?

We had a wire brush at one point, it was really great except it scratched her skin. As you can guess, she didn't like it. ( I don't blame her )

If they work, it would be a really good investment. ;)

Muddy4paws
08-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Im still really stuck for ideas, It cant be nice to be shedding 24-7..

Ive tried combs shedding tools, zoom groom and the blaster at work which takes a lot out but I can be there all day and still get alot more out! :rolleyes:

I know shes a shedding breed Im really not complaining about that Im just worried its bothering her especially since its been hot lately

Greyhoundgirl I would definatly recomend a zoom groom made my kong, They are perfects for greyhounds and they are rubber so it doesnt scrap the skin :)

BC_MoM
08-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Muddy4Paws, on a Border Collie Rescue board I'm on, we had a chat about them. A lot of people went out and bought them and all results were great. I highly reccomend them, even though I don't have one (because they're so expensive here).

http://bcrescue.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3819

buttercup132
08-18-2006, 12:43 PM
its got nothing sharp on it. So it dosent strip the dog...
and it wouldnt hurt your Jenny greyhoundgirl

GreyhoundGirl
08-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Phew, Good. I think I might try it. ;)

ashleycat
08-18-2006, 02:57 PM
ok, so what's better. Furminator or the shedender??

Zippy
08-18-2006, 04:11 PM
I have one it is great!I wish i had got the bigger one. :D

ChrisH
08-19-2006, 08:01 AM
Looks good and given the positive stuff from you guys I've got a bid in on one in e-bay. :)

Edit: Outbid. :( but there are more. :D

Muddy4paws
08-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Looks good and given the positive stuff from you guys I've got a bid in on one in e-bay. :)

Edit: Outbid. :( but there are more. :D

Im definatly going to get one but cant just yet my boyfriend will go crazy, Meant to be saving up to go away and so far I've spent over £70 on pet stuff :o ;)

I looked on ebay seems like only one from UK and the rest are from USA so I might be better off buying from a UK site if I can

Anyway thanks everyone!

wolfsoul
08-20-2006, 12:09 PM
For shedlessing dogs at work, we use a #40 clipper blade on the shorthaired dogs. It's called carding. On the longer haired dogs we use a matbreaker.

Muddy4paws
08-20-2006, 01:51 PM
For shedlessing dogs at work, we use a #40 clipper blade on the shorthaired dogs. It's called carding. On the longer haired dogs we use a matbreaker.

Im going to PM you if you dont mind? :)

**EDIT**

Your pm is full up!

wolfsoul
08-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Im going to PM you if you dont mind? :)

**EDIT**

Your pm is full up!
Whoops! I've emptied it. :)

wolf_Q
08-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I have not tried the furminatior, but I tried the furminatior knock-off (shedender?) and I was not impressed. But I only tried it on Nebo it may work better on other dogs

I use the coat king a lot at work to help with shedding. It works really well with double coated dogs. Mine has fairly spaced out blades (I think medium/coarse 10), I'm sure one with more blades closer together would work on shorthaired dogs better. Click here to view the coat king. (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2440&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=2440&AS=1) Here is a similar product (my boss has one and it works just as well as my coat king) that is cheaper click here. (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4070&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=152&iSubSubCat=167&iProductID=4070)

I also really like rubber curry brushes (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3074&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=152&iSubSubCat=1635&iProductID=3074) for shorthaired dogs.

Muddy4paws
08-20-2006, 07:52 PM
I have not tried the furminatior, but I tried the furminatior knock-off (shedender?) and I was not impressed. But I only tried it on Nebo it may work better on other dogs

I use the coat king a lot at work to help with shedding. It works really well with double coated dogs. Mine has fairly spaced out blades (I think medium/coarse 10), I'm sure one with more blades closer together would work on shorthaired dogs better. Click here to view the coat king. (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2440&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=2440&AS=1) Here is a similar product (my boss has one and it works just as well as my coat king) that is cheaper click here. (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4070&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=152&iSubSubCat=167&iProductID=4070)

I also really like rubber curry brushes (http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3074&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=12&iSubCat=152&iSubSubCat=1635&iProductID=3074) for shorthaired dogs.

I love my rubber brush! its not getting as much out as it used to so i think i might need another one, Ive tried coatkings it got quite a bit out but i got a better result with the zoom groom.. I think im just fighting a loosing battle here lol

wolf_Q
08-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Yes I know what you mean...I have a siberian husky. :D They are shedding machines lol.

Kfamr
12-16-2006, 03:14 PM
I bought one of these today after wanting to get one for sooooo long. Our natural pet food place started selling them. We spent around $90 on food and the furminator, so the lady gave us two free toys. ;) :D

I've tried tons of brushes and techniques to brush them with, it's never worked this well and this easily! My yard is covered with fur for the birdies to use in nests. ;)

buttercup132
12-16-2006, 03:16 PM
I was meaning to bump this thread up. All the Furminator is, is a clipper blade. If you hae clippers at home brush your dog with it and it will give the same effect as the Furminator. Some person was just genious to figure ti out and make millions off it.

Hmm maybe since they are so expensive I'll make some that are cheaper and become a millionaire too lol;) :p

Catlady711
12-16-2006, 06:27 PM
I've never used the FURminator on a dog, however it works so-so on a cat. I prefer the Shedding Blade (http://thepuppyshop.com/ershedblad.html) myself. I've used that on both cats and dogs and it works GREAT! They aren't usually very expensive either and around here you can buy them at most pet stores easily.

I don't know what the weather is like in London, however around here dogs (even short haired ones) tend to shed more in the wintertime because of people running their heating since that dries out hair coats. If that is the case with your lab, just try using 1 tablespoon of CORN oil on the food once a day starting in the autumn a few weeks before the heat is to start being run. And stop using it in the spring when it gets warm outside again. (It has to be CORN oil and NOT vegetable or any other kind of oil). It's a fairly inexpensive way to help out the coat during the winter.

Good luck.