PDA

View Full Version : Hard to handle!

Heather Wallace
05-25-2002, 06:33 AM
I am looking after 2 dalmatians at the moment as I pet sit from my own home.

We have looked after all kinds of dogs, from King Charles Spaniels to Irish wolf hounds and we have never had any problems untill now.

The have chewed some of our personal items ( holiday nik naks that I could never replace), also the cats food bowls, they rade the bins and our livingroom floor in the mornings is covered with anything the have ripped up. We are finding it quite stressfull as they are a handfull. I mailed the owners and he said that he thought that from the beginning I would not be able to handle dalmatians, I felt so insulted and he made me feel very unprofessional as if I was an amateur.

I thought to myself that it's not the breed that's a problem but the fact that their owners go off travelling all of the time and leave the poor dogs behind. Apparantly the dogs have been living in a garage for months. I don't think that they have been trained much either.

I feel so sorry for them.

Dixieland Dancer
05-25-2002, 06:52 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: What kind of life is it for those dogs being in a garage??? I am a firm believer that a trained dog is a loved dog and a welcome addition to any community. It is apparent from the description you gave that these dogs have been left to their own devices for way to long. Perhaps you can give them a little training in their short stay with you. Dalmations are NOT unruly breeds unless they are not trained. This guy needs to realize HE is the problem. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cincy'sMom
05-25-2002, 07:24 AM
I have to agree with everything Candy said...Dalmation are high energy dogs and need to be exercised and trained. They need to be with their people, not out in a garage. No wonder they tear things apart! Some people...:mad:

Karen
05-25-2002, 10:10 AM
How long will they be with you? Any way you can do some basic training with them?

tatsxxx11
05-25-2002, 10:13 AM
How terrible, for you and the doggies!!! They are probably having the time of their lives, having been confined to a garage most of the time! I feel for you Heather, and also the dogs.:( I guess they aren't crate trained??? How could the owners be so clueless that this would be their behavior? Maybe you could do some short term obedience training while they're there. And sounds like they need so exercising to work off some of that energy!

Heather Wallace
05-25-2002, 10:51 AM
[i]Originally posted by tatsxxx11

Maybe you could do some short term obedience training while they're there. And sounds like they need so exercising to work off some of that energy!

Yes, Derek (my partner) and I are trying to teach them some 'Manners' as he puts it. I am more of a soft touch with pets and Derek is more firm which is a good combination I think. He has had dogs all his life and knows to be strict when he has to.

Dulce, one of the dogs is very energetic so we take both dogs to the local park and let them of their leads. They love it!

He just made me feel so stupid:mad: I have decided not to have the dogs back, I think it would be best for myself and also my cats. All of the dogs we have had stay have been great and I just feel like a failure. Maybe I should learn not to put the world on my little shoulders!:(

Ps, Karen we have had them for one week now, Only two weeks left to go. That's three weeks in total.

Thanks all for your kind advice, I appreciate it.:)

Karen
05-25-2002, 12:26 PM
Oh, good - you have them for two more weeks - and I bet you could make some real progress within that time. Even just basics sound like it would be an improvement, and I am glad you have Derek's "firmer hand" because obviously, these poor pups need some boundaries - and not just those that constitute the garage walls.

Good luck, and keep us posted. YOU are not the failure here, their owners were, but you, at least, will care enough to help these wild babies! :)

Randi
05-25-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
They are probably having the time of their lives, having been confined to a garage most of the time! I feel for you Heather, and also the dogs. And sounds like they need some exercising to work off some of that energy!
It certainly sounds as if they need some exercise!! I'm so glad you take them to the park. They must love it!! These owners shouldn't be allowed to keep them in a garage - it's appauling!! Is there any place you can report it?

It's so difficult, some people should not be allowed to have any pets. We have an alcoholic living in our area and he can not take proper care of his two dogs. I have spoken to the people in charge of the buildings, but they say they can not do anything about it. A few months ago, some other drunk had borrowed his mothers flat while she had a vacation and he and his dog burned to death one night. We were on the edge of complaining about him, but were too late.

Really hope there will be a solution to this! you have done what you can!! :)

Heather Wallace
05-25-2002, 02:51 PM
[i]Originally posted by Randi

We have an alcoholic living in our area and he can not take proper care of his two dogs. I have spoken to the people in charge of the buildings, but they say they can not do anything about it.

In the UK we have the RSPCA (royal society for the protection of cruelty to animals), do you not have something like that in Denmark Randi?

I would report it to some place like that.

anna_66
05-27-2002, 07:27 AM
Heather, there's not much I can add, but "do not" I repeat "do not" feel like you are a failure! It's not your fault these people don't know how to take care of their animals:rolleyes: But like everyone else said, at least you can give them some training and some love while they are with you. Good Luck:D