PDA

View Full Version : Book review-FLYBOYS

RICHARD
08-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I saw this book at Target and not having reading material I picked it up.

It has a picture of a WWII torpedo bomber on the cover, so I thought it was JUST the story of pilots during the war.

BOY, WAS I MISTAKEN.

------------------------------

The story follows what happened to 8 pilots in the Pacific theater that were shot down and captured as POWs.

The book is not a linear story. It does jump around to different story lines and gives the reader a very chilling account as to what we were not told about the war.

If you like history and war stories, read the book.
Be prepared to be bothered.

What happened in Abu Ghraib is NOTHING, IT"S A NON STORY COMPARED TO THESE CRIMES.

The book isn't a critique of Japan or the people that lived there at the time.

It is a glimpse into the heart of a government that was out of control,
An armed force that was sent into battle and were left to fight and
pillage without any reason and no rules to what their behavior should have been.+

If you do read this book, be prepared to be moved and angry, sad and have your opinion on war severely challenged or justified.

I really recommend this book.

---------------------------------

+ War isn't game. But their should be rules.
Today we have more rules for war, but no war should be the first and only rule. :(

Zippy
08-16-2006, 06:11 PM
I have that book right on a bookcase next to me :eek: I was going to try to read it but....

Freckles
08-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Amazon says the author, James Bradley's first book was "Flags of our Fathers". It was about the six marines who raised the flag at Iwo Jima. Bradley's father was one of the six.

jazzcat
08-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Sounds like something my Richard would like. Thanks for the recommendation.