PDA

View Full Version : Question: Fencing.

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 03:29 PM
The fence, not the sport :p. Sooo, does anybody have one? I was curious as to what their price range was.. I was going to ask my mom to ask our landlord if we could build one around our house, because for one thing, that would be such a great thing for Roxy, and I've always wanted a fenced yard :D.

Riptide
08-16-2006, 03:31 PM
We have a 6ft tall concrete/cinder block wall.

It's just how it's done here in Vegas, I guess.

No help, sorry, lol.

catnapper
08-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Depending on the type of fence, its majorly expensive. We got a quote for $10,000 and we don't even have a 1/4 acre!

Lori Jordan
08-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I made a dog run it's 6ft 10x24 i think it cost over 5 hundred dollars,I put it up myself but im sure you can find something Cheaper.Do you have ISell?It is a magazine sometimes you can find fencing(chainlink)that people are giving away,It is a little harder when you rent,Sometimes the landlords will not allow stuff like that done Best of Luck!

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Well, I'm not sure how big our yard is. We'd be getting chainlink most likely.

Jadapit
08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Bri, I hate to do this to you but we put up a chain link fence (my husband did it all himself) its not a huge area and it cost over a thousand dollars. Everything is so expensive these days. :(

Riptide
08-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Bri, I hate to do this to you but we put up a chain link fence (my husband did it all himself) its not a huge area and it cost over a thousand dollars. Everything is so expensive these days. :(

Chain link is that expensive?

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 03:39 PM
:eek:
I've heard it was expensive.. Hmmm... If you buy the chain yourself would it be any cheaper? I don't think we'd have our whole yard fenced, just the portion where Roxy stays.. =/

catnapper
08-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Well, I'm not sure how big our yard is. We'd be getting chainlink most likely.
Is chainlink allowed by you? Many townships are telling people its not allowed aroud here unless you're in an industrial zone. Our township says vinyl or wood, and not split rail wood, but a nice decorative wood.

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Is chainlink allowed by you? Many townships are telling people its not allowed aroud here unless you're in an industrial zone. Our township says vinyl or wood, and not split rail wood, but a nice decorative wood.
Well, I've seen many many chainlink fences around the area, so I guess so.

Riptide
08-16-2006, 03:46 PM
hmm...maybe a cheaper solution would be to get a few cinder blocks (the kind with the two big holes in them) and just put sticks of wood through the holes...know what I mean?

Kinda like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Dynamutt/fence.png

And maybe put chickenwire on it so she can't get through? I donno, just a thought ^^

You could even paint it to make it look nice, if you wanted.

Jadapit
08-16-2006, 03:49 PM
:eek:
I've heard it was expensive.. Hmmm... If you buy the chain yourself would it be any cheaper? I don't think we'd have our whole yard fenced, just the portion where Roxy stays.. =/

We got all the fence stuff at Home Depot. It's unreal how much stuff costs. You have to get cement to set the posts in, then all the fence. We rented an auger to dig the holes for the posts it would have taken forever by hand. Do you have a Home Depot or Lowes? Check out their web sites you can price the chain link. It might be cheaper where you live but probably not. :(

One more thing, is Roxy a jumper? If she is you would probably want to go with the 6ft chain link. Diamond and Jada aren't jumpers so we went with the 5ft. Thank goodness Ebony turned out not to be a jumper either because those pitties can jump a 5ft if they want to. ;)

JenBKR
08-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Wow those really are expensive - we didn't pay that much then I guess. We bought 6 ft. wood privacy fencing and put it in ourselves. We bought the kind that is not pre treated and treated it ourselves, as it was cheaper that way too. I'd say all in all, we paid about $300-400 for it all...of course, our neighbors have the exact same fence so part was already done, and our yard isn't really big. Of course, we did have to pay for food and beer for the friends that came over to help put the fence in though lol so that was some more money.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-16-2006, 03:53 PM
We're currently in the process of fencing our 5 acres. We're using welded wire fencing (http://www.academyfence.com/vinylcoatedcolorpvcweldedwire.asp). It's really cheap compared to other fencing. We got it at lowes. It's not near as strong as chainlink or other fencing though. Also keep in mind when you're pricing fencing that in addition to the fence you also have to buy the polls. When you're looking at the polls remember that you have to bury them in the ground so if you're getting a 4 foot fence you'll need a 5 foot poll.

Miss Z
08-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Wow, here in England, pretty much any house you buy has a fence, I don't think they build them without them these days, so I'm not sure how much a fence costs. My fence is just wooden boards linked together by concrete pillars. Riptide's idea of blocks with wood through them seems a good idea, providing they can't be squeezed under of jumped over, chicken wire could help but there's a possibilty Roxy could chew through it if she wanted to. Sorry I'm not much help. I'll think about it a bit more for any ideas :)

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Don't know if Roxy is a jumper =/. She is definitely a digger though :rolleyes:. But I guess she'd be chained part of the day while we weren't home, and I'd give her an hour run or something when I got home, then bring her in my room for the night, maybe?

Well, I was thinking wooden, it's much more private, but I dunno, chain-link seems better for us.

Jadapit
08-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Bri, I'm sure Roxy would love it. Even when Ebony is out in the yard I keep an eye on her. When we go somewhere she stays in her crate in our bedroom. I'm sure you would love a fence for Roxy. I hope it works out for you. :)

Jadapit
08-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Chain link is that expensive?

Yes, it was here in Colorado anyway. You have to buy more than the fence. We were amazed at how much it ended up costing. We live on 1/2 acre my dream is to fence the whole place one day. :)

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Bri, I'm sure Roxy would love it. Even when Ebony is out in the yard I keep an eye on her. When we go somewhere she stays in her crate in our bedroom. I'm sure you would love a fence for Roxy. I hope it works out for you. :)
She loves running loose in areas, but she always runs off, so she doesn't get that privelege too often. -sigh- By the way the prices of the fences are, it doesn't look like I'll be getting one anyways :(

Jadapit
08-16-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm sorry Bri. Do you live near any of the schools? I take my fur kids down to the baseball field its all fenced in so they can run around.

Tralee
08-16-2006, 04:24 PM
What about an invisible fence? It was $400 for us to do over an acre.

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 04:26 PM
What about an invisible fence? It was $400 for use to do over an acre.
I don't really believe in those. I mean aren't there ways for them to get deactivated?

Iilo
08-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Don't quite know what you mean by "deactivated"...

But invisable fences are a no-no in my book. They don't prevent other animals from coming in the space and it takes a special kind of dog to respect them.

I_luv_rusty
08-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Well.... We recently just got a new fence. I'm not really sure how much it costed though. Like I think $50 or something a piece.(not sure) My parents got some of it using gift cards.(they get them after they have a certain amount of point on their Amercian Express -you get points by buying stuff with the credit card) My parents also have all the right tools to do the labor to build it, instead of having the store build it for us, but I doubt you'd build it yourself.

I'm not helping that much.... but you can try going online to home depot.com or lowes.com or one of those kinda store in your area. But also remember it might cost more money to also come deliver it and build it, or just build it depending if the store is far away and they charge money for having to drive

I_luv_rusty
08-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Don't quite know what you mean by "deactivated"...

But invisable fences are a no-no in my book. They don't prevent other animals from coming in the space and it takes a special kind of dog to respect them.

I think she mean by "deactivated" as in it doesn't work and Roxy gets out of it and runs away. I also think invisible fences are a no-no. They do not prevent other animals or people from coming in, and anyone can just come in.

Tralee
08-16-2006, 05:03 PM
If a hard fence is too expensive. I think an invisible fence is better than a chain. A chain isn't keeping people and animals out if the yard. As long as there is a complete current it shouldn't get de-activated.
That is JMO.

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 05:06 PM
If a hard fence is too expensive. I think an invisible fence is better than a chain. A chain isn't keeping people and animals out if the yard. As long as there is a complete current it shouldn't get de-activated.
That is JMO.
Well, yeah. But my mom doesn't believe in invisible fences either. Plus, shocking when they get near the fence I don't like. How do you maintain a current on one?

Tralee
08-16-2006, 05:13 PM
On the fence I have the dogs get a warning sound before they get a tiny shock. Both of my dogs only got shocked once or twice since we got it. They both know what the beeping sound means and will back off if they hear it. A hard fence is better, but becuase of where we live and how our yard is set up a hard fence wouldn't "fit."
By current I mean if there is no break in the wire, or damage. On the transmitter there is a light that goes on if there isn't a complete circuit

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 05:16 PM
On the fence I have the dogs get a warning sound before they get a tiny shock. Both of my dogs only got shocked once or twice since we got it. They both know what the beeping sound means and will back off if they hear it. A hard fence is better, but becuase of where we live and how our yard is set up a hard fence wouldn't "fit."
By current I mean if there is no break in the wire, or damage. On the transmitter there is a light that goes on if there isn't a complete circuit
Ohh, what brand do you have, and how much yard do you have? Honestly I don't think a fence would fit here either.

Tralee
08-16-2006, 05:25 PM
We have 6 acres of land on a dirt road. 1 1/2 acres are fenced in.
This is the brand we have
http://tinyurl.com/pyvbv
and a less expensive type, basically the collar is the only difference
http://tinyurl.com/m2fl7

ETA It is very important that the dog is wearing the collar whenever they are out in the yard, so they can get the warning sound and if need be the shock just in case. It doesn't matter how well trained they are to the fence.

Jadapit
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Bri, I dont want to sound like a know it all but I did a ton of research on pit bulls. I read those fences dont work very well for them because they have such a high pain tolerance that they just ignore the shock and run right through it. Of course it may not be that way with Roxy but I wouldn't want to chance it IMHO anyway...

Iilo
08-16-2006, 06:16 PM
I know many dogs that ignore both the beep and the shock, no matter how strong it is. And these dogs don't have as tough a neck as Roxy does -- I'm talking like an 8 year old Brittany just ignoring the shock and running miles away from home.

Personally, I prefer the chain, it's simply safer.

Zippy
08-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Bri How do you get your landlord to let you have so many pet????i wish my landlord was that nice.

I_luv_rusty
08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
How do you get your landlord to let you have so many pets????

Seriously... why does everyone fight with her? If that was suppouse to be rude. She doesn't even have that many pets. :rolleyes:

Zippy
08-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Bri i am not rude i was wondering because my landlord isn't that nice about pets.

I_luv_rusty
08-16-2006, 07:30 PM
no not rude i was wondering because my landlord isn't that nice about pets

Ohh sorry... :o :o

Zippy
08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Ohh sorry... :o :o

it's ok sorry if i confused anyone

cyber-sibes
08-16-2006, 08:39 PM
The suggestion about welded wire is a good, probably one of the cheapest ways to fence. The dogpark uses split wood beams & chicken wire. We've thought about doing that to enclose a really big area, maybe 1/2 acre...someday.

We fenced off a large area by putting sections of fencing between our out-buildings. We used pre-built fencing sections that are nice because we can move them really easily....so of course, they are pretty expensive, too.