PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Finches

stonewind
05-24-2002, 10:21 PM
I just got two really cute zebra finches form my friends birds who had babies. Just wanted to hear from some of you who may also have zebra finches. Also a great tragady came to my friends house. Her birds had two more baby finches and when she went out she forgot to put her cat in the basement..... when she came home her cat a attacked and killed her male finch and one of the babies, the other baby was gone missing and the mother was hiding on top of the curtain rode. She found the other baby who was hiding under the curtain fortunately. She's planing to get a new male as soon as the baby leaves the nest.

Sam's My Baby
05-25-2002, 10:15 AM
Hello! Welcome to pettalk! I also own a pair of zebra finches, they are lovley birds. Sorry to hear about your friend's finches. Zebras breed very quickly, so if you have a male and female I would reccommed separating them. My first 2 zebras that I got had 4 babies, 3 boys and 1 girl. What ends up happening is that the males fight over the females. I lost 4 birds because of that, and now I am only left with two. It is very sad.:(
Id like to hear more about your finches, do you have any pictures?? :)

Heather Wallace
05-25-2002, 11:03 AM
Hello, yes welcome. I few years back I had 2 finches called Sonny and Cher. I am afraid their life was a bit short. Cher killed Sonny and then one day I came home to find Cher on the floor as My cat had got her. I was upset by that:(

Ilike bird but I wouldn't get anymore while I have cats as it is to risky.

stonewind
05-25-2002, 04:14 PM
I do have pictures of them, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get them posted for awhile. My finches names are Lily and Charlie. And since I got them as babies, htey are very tamed. I'm still working with them, but I can get them to sit on my hand and sometimes can carry them around, the female is less shy then the male. Got to go, hope to hear from you again.

Sam's My Baby
06-03-2002, 03:17 PM
I heard you can train them, but it is very very hard! My zebras are not tamed at all, I wish I had, but I think you need to start taming it from the day it was born.