PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound Information =)

Roxyluvsme13
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm planning on rescuing a Greyhound in the future. Anybody have some info about them for me? (and I mean farrrrrr into the future, I'm just doing my research now)

I already know they must be indoor dogs, they require 1/4 of anestehsia(sp?) as a normal dog their size would, they have to wear martingale collars, they require daily excersize or a fenced yard, and that they're very sensitive to certain flea medications.

Giselle, I'm really hoping you see this since you own a grey ;).

dogzr#1
08-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Hello Bri long time no see ;) . Well as I've told you before, I don't know anything you don't know. Just wanted to wish you luck in finding all the info you need.

Karen
08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Never let one off leash in an area that is not fenced in, as they are sight-hounds, so if something catches their eye, the "chase" instinct kicks in, and they can be deaf to your cries of Stay! or anything else.

While they love a good run, they also, even more, adore couch time.

If you get a rescue, ask lots of questions about what the dog has and has not experienced. Some get freaked out by grass, if they've never been off-track much, some have no idea how to navigate stairs ...

Roxyluvsme13
08-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Never let one off leash in an area that is not fenced in, as they are sight-hounds, so if something catches their eye, the "chase" instinct kicks in, and they can be deaf to your cries of Stay! or anything else.

While they love a good run, they also, even more, adore couch time.

If you get a rescue, ask lots of questions about what the dog has and has not experienced. Some get freaked out by grass, if they've never been off-track much, some have no idea how to navigate stairs ...
Okay, thanks, Karen :).

Giselle
08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
One website that will answer all your questions: GreyTalk.com

But I'll try to sum it up for you :)

Karen was right. Greys can not be let off leash unless in a fenced area. This will most likely be written into your contract so if you do, it's going to be a breach of contract. The whole on/off-leash topic is highly debated, but it'd be safest to err on the side of caution.

As you've noticed, Greys are quite unique from other dogs. Thus, it'd be preferred to find a vet that has prior experience in Greys and similar sighthounds. This will require a bit of research on your part because some vets don't understand the intricacies of Greys. For example, Greys have terribly thin skin. What may start as a small, superficial nick on Grey can turn into an open gash that would require stitches. Because of a Greyhound's thin skin and coat, they will need a coat if you live in a colder area. My rule of thumb is, if I'm cold, my Greyhound probably is, too. When it hits 40-45 degrees F, I'll put a light coat on Giselle. You can easily find coat and collar merchants here: clicky (http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=48958)

Don't worry about the flea med sensitivity. As long as you use reputable brands like Advantage and Frontline, your dog should not exhibit any intolerance. Actually, I don't even use these meds on Giselle. Her coat is so thin and easy to groom that I have never seen a tick or flea on her.

Karen also mentioned how Greys are usually not exposed to "home life". Up until the dog has entered foster care, s/he has most likely never been exposed to stairs, linoleum floors, glass doors, etc. However, if you find a good adoption group, they will have exposed the Greyhound to all of these and more. They will also have cat-tested the Grey to see if it is compatible with cats. Otherwise, many Greys have a rather high prey drive and WILL chase and kill the household cat, even if the two have been co-existing peacefully for years. Just a few months ago, one of the adopters from my group had her cat killed by her Grey.

I can't think of much else that hasn't been mentioned, but if you'd like me to go into more detail, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Roxyluvsme13
08-15-2006, 07:25 PM
One website that will answer all your questions: GreyTalk.com

But I'll try to sum it up for you :)

Karen was right. Greys can not be let off leash unless in a fenced area. This will most likely be written into your contract so if you do, it's going to be a breach of contract. The whole on/off-leash topic is highly debated, but it'd be safest to err on the side of caution.

As you've noticed, Greys are quite unique from other dogs. Thus, it'd be preferred to find a vet that has prior experience in Greys and similar sighthounds. This will require a bit of research on your part because some vets don't understand the intricacies of Greys. For example, Greys have terribly thin skin. What may start as a small, superficial nick on Grey can turn into an open gash that would require stitches. Because of a Greyhound's thin skin and coat, they will need a coat if you live in a colder area. My rule of thumb is, if I'm cold, my Greyhound probably is, too. When it hits 40-45 degrees F, I'll put a light coat on Giselle. You can easily find coat and collar merchants here: clicky (http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=48958)

Don't worry about the flea med sensitivity. As long as you use reputable brands like Advantage and Frontline, your dog should not exhibit any intolerance. Actually, I don't even use these meds on Giselle. Her coat is so thin and easy to groom that I have never seen a tick or flea on her.

Karen also mentioned how Greys are usually not exposed to "home life". Up until the dog has entered foster care, s/he has most likely never been exposed to stairs, linoleum floors, glass doors, etc. However, if you find a good adoption group, they will have exposed the Greyhound to all of these and more. They will also have cat-tested the Grey to see if it is compatible with cats. Otherwise, many Greys have a rather high prey drive and WILL chase and kill the household cat, even if the two have been co-existing peacefully for years. Just a few months ago, one of the adopters from my group had her cat killed by her Grey.

I can't think of much else that hasn't been mentioned, but if you'd like me to go into more detail, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Thank you soooo much! :D I absolutely can't wait to get a Grey. At the time we do have 2 cats, so now wouldn't be a good time unless I kept them entirely separated, right? What about Lily? Do you think a Grey and Lily would get along okay? Roxy, too, seeing as I would be walking them together.

GreyhoundGirl
08-15-2006, 07:29 PM
They don't slobber ! ( my favourite reason ! ( joking ! ) ;) )
They look you in the eye when you speak to them.

There are thousands of them needing homes.

They are great with kids, and walk away instead of fighting. ( usually )

They're ADORABLE !!!! :D ( I had to say that. :o )

I would check out adopt-a-greyhound and http://www.greyhoundpets.org/chapters1.htm

I'll update as I think of more things.

P.S. I have a question, I was thinking of making a new thread for it, but as you have already captured the greyhound-lovers attention.

Q: What are the phisical abilities of a greyhound? I was thinking of teaching Jenny " sit up pretty" but I'm not sure if her hind legs could handle it.

areias
08-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Great info, I am also looking into greyhound rescue. :)

I know that they can shed a lot, don't let the short coat fool you. They can also have teeth problems, and need regular tooth brushings to keep up with the diseases of the mouth. Supposedly, for a lot of them house training is really easy (with the help of a crate) because they are generally 'kennel trained', meaning they won't mess their kennels.

You need to be careful where you have them sleep, as hard surfaces (a metal crate w/o a blanket, linoleum/tile/hardwood floors) because they are inclined to get pressure sores. If you board them at a kennel, make sure they are aware of this fact! I've seen many dogs come from boarding kennels who had no idea.

I also know a grey who is terrified of ceiling fans, you cannot have him in a room with one that is turned on or he panics.

zoomer
08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
They're extremely gentle & very social. They're couch potatoes and think they're lap dogs. Never let one off lead unless they're in a high fenced area because if they see a squirrel or something they'll take off, even if they're oh so well trained, don't even try it. Dry food is recommended for greyhounds by some rescues... like this one...http://www.adoptagreyhound.com. They're very good with kids but wouldn't suggest having any smaller animals in the house because they do tend to chase all small animals. They tolerate heat well but not cold. Keep them inside as much as you can if the cold is heavy, and if not, have a coat on them. They need a calm enviorment and plenty of time outdoors. They need lots of space to run, a big backyard. If given that space they will often excersize themselves. They're grooming is low. They require occasional brushing and nail care. They are sensitive, sweet, and elegent. They do not tolerate physical scolding well.

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Okay, I thought of another ? but now I can't remember it :rolleyes:. Soooo, I know you have Lucky along with Giselle, but honestly, with the 2 cats and Lily I don't know if any in the current 5 years or so would work out =/. What do you think?

bckrazy
08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
=P Um, what about Roxy, as well?

I honestly am not sure. I know a handful of Greys, none of which live with cats or small animals. I'm sure that would be a huge challenge. I would love a Greyhound, but I know they are for special people, and I really enjoy playing with my dogs at the lake and the park which are not comlpetely fenced... and I know it'd be unfair to have a Grey that wasn't exercised safely. If I had a massive, all grass, fenced yard (like a few acres) I would definitely feel more comfortable looking into adopting a Greyhound. Our yard is like an acre, but only half of that is flat and grassy. They really, really love & need to run in open spaces. As far as my home, that would definitely fit a Grey, because Fozzie & Gonzo are couch potatoes while they're inside, and they both stay indoors all day except when playing in the yard, at the park, or going on walks. I would never, ever keep a Greyhound outside for an extended period of time, or alone... they are not built to withstand dips in temperatures.

Wth is up with the dry food comment? Gissey obviously does pretty well with Raw!

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 04:05 PM
=P Um, what about Roxy, as well?

I honestly am not sure. I know a handful of Greys, none of which live with cats or small animals. I'm sure that would be a huge challenge. I would love a Greyhound, but I know they are for special people, and I really enjoy playing with my dogs at the lake and the park which are not comlpetely fenced... and I know it'd be unfair to have a Grey that wasn't exercised safely. If I had a massive, all grass, fenced yard (like a few acres) I would definitely feel more comfortable looking into adopting a Greyhound. Our yard is like an acre, but only half of that is flat and grassy. They really, really love & need to run in open spaces. As far as my home, that would definitely fit a Grey, because Fozzie & Gonzo are couch potatoes while they're inside, and they both stay indoors all day except when playing in the yard, at the park, or going on walks. I would never, ever keep a Greyhound outside for an extended period of time, or alone... they are not built to withstand dips in temperatures.

Wth is up with the dry food comment? Gissey obviously does pretty well with Raw!
Well, I was thinking of Roxy, too, :p. They would def. HAVE to get along so I could walk them together and let them play together, hopefully.

I easily have the time to walk a Grey, Roxy, too, of course. I'm wishing I could get a fenced yard, and basically that's one of the things holding me back from getting one. Of course, Roxy living atleast 8 hours a day isn't going to put us as the best pet owners, and they do do home visits.. Eh, my mom said she doesn't want one anyways, I'd even be willing to rehome some bettas to put more time and dedication to the dogs.

Suki Wingy
08-16-2006, 05:30 PM
I have to say 2 things, 1. walks are NOT just for exerscize, they're for interaction and stimulation, the sights, sounds, smells, etc.
2. I you may not know the whole story, so don't be so quick to judge. Bri may provide the best home, or she may not but don't judge someone over the internet. My own mother has called me a hoarder, seriously, and it's not something to joke around with, it can hurt if you're not.

animal_rescue
08-16-2006, 05:32 PM
I have to say 2 things, 1. walks are NOT just for exerscize, they're for interaction and stimulation, the sights, sounds, smells, etc.
2. I you may not know the whole story, so don't be so quick to judge. Bri may provide the best home, or she may not but don't judge someone over the internet. My own mother has called me a hoarder, seriously, and it's not something to joke around with, it can hurt if you're not.

I have to agree, I was very upset when MY mom told me I was a hoarder..

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 05:34 PM
1. Yes I know, that's why I provide plenty of playtime if I can't walk her.

2. Thank you! I am not an animal hoarder, and I take that in very high offense. Animal hoarders are people who don't give a da** about their animals, and I do. I wouldn't have them if I didn't.

Iilo
08-16-2006, 05:57 PM
I have a life too. That's why I understand that the next time I will be able to get another dog will be in a rather long time.

Five years for someone your age is not that long... That puts you at 19, doesn't it? So you'll be finishing up high school and *probably* going on to college... That certainly sounds like the best time to add another dog to your life. What I'm saying is if you have a life now, and can't walk Roxy every day, then how do you expect to be able to walk a Greyhound every day and spend quality offleash time with it (in a fenced area) when your life is only going to get busier?

Roxyluvsme13
08-16-2006, 06:00 PM
I have a life too. That's why I understand that the next time I will be able to get another dog will be in a rather long time.

Five years for someone your age is not that long... That puts you at 19, doesn't it? So you'll be finishing up high school and *probably* going on to college... That certainly sounds like the best time to add another dog to your life. What I'm saying is if you have a life now, and can't walk Roxy every day, then how do you expect to be able to walk a Greyhound every day and spend quality offleash time with it (in a fenced area) when your life is only going to get busier?
Well, I've learning to balance my life and pets together.

Well, then maybe I'll get one sooner. I know my limits, and I think I can handle another dog in the near future. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I could and can handle one.

Actually, at 19, yes I probably will be in college, and yes I can handle my dogs and cats.

I could easily spend time with a Greyhound. I could, and will. I don't do it now because Roxy doesn't need that much excersize. She's laid back, and daily playtime tires her out.

Iilo
08-16-2006, 06:12 PM
If you want me to be more on topic...

www.greytalk.com will provide you with everything you need to know about greys and then some.

Suki Wingy
08-16-2006, 06:20 PM
I thought of one more thing to say about this; At least she IS doing research well in advance.

I_luv_rusty
08-16-2006, 06:53 PM
I agree... she is doing research so she is ready. Five years is a long time away, and by then alot of things will change. This is now, not that future so unless Iilo you can tell the future then don't leave a negitive (sp?) response, saying Bri can't take care of a grey.

If you think you can handle dogS, catS, and college.... The more power to you

Wow.... she'll have 3 dogs, and 2 cats. That not that much. I know people who have 7 cats,3 dog,5 ferrets,2 ginea pigs, and a bunch of fish... maybe if she had that many pets it COULD be different I think she can only decide is she can handle all her pets and college. If you don't know her, and don't know everything she does for her pets then be quiet until you know it all.

Why do all this thread that Bri make have to try into fight. Like "you shouldn't have that many bettas", or "you can't take care of your pet, etc. Has anyone EVER told you if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything. Well read it and follow it. ;)

Bri: A few months before you get a greyhound is you do get one. Take alot of walks, and go places with Roxy so you know you ready. Or when you get the grey.. you'll get tried out very easily, and it'll be hard to give him/her the excerise they need. And of course by then you'll have to get a fenced in yard. Also would your mom let it stay inside? I guess by then Roxy will be inside all the time. :p

Giselle
08-16-2006, 11:25 PM
ANYWAYS, back to the topic- I see aloooot of misconceptions that I must clear up before my brain bursts.

Firstly, greys don't *need* a huge backyard. In fact, they do not need a backyard at all! I know plenty of greyhounds who live quite comfortably in apartments. As long as you can provide reliable daily walks, your Grey will be beyond contentment. Some groups do claim that they won't adopt out to apartment-dwellers but there are ALWAYS exceptions. The only problem with apartment dwellers is the potty issue but that issue is prevalent with any other dog breed! It's not to say that Greys don't need free space to run (they do!!). I'm just saying that Greys do not *need* a yard. Heck, my yard is used only as a potty area.

Secondly, I think some of you are forgetting that a Greyhound is a dog! :p For example:

-They look you in the eye when you speak to them.
Looking any dog in the eye is a challenge. It is not a breed characteristic to tolerate this behavior from humans. Dogs are not human!!!

-They're extremely gentle & very social.
As a whole, Greys are very gentle, but a dog's socialness depends mostly on how it was brought up. Greys are very social with other Greys, but some are not accustomed to other breeds.

Dry food is recommended for greyhounds by some rescues.
Dry food is recommended by many all-breed rescues as well. Greyhounds are no different. It is up to YOU, the owner, to decide what to feed your dog.

Thirdly, greys can live with small animals and cats (Gissie has co-habitated quite nicely with a Pekingese and four birds for two years). It all depends on the individual greyhound and it DOES take much supervision for the first months/year. Your adoption group will take care of selecting the proper dog for you.

As for juggling college and cats and dogs, please read Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan and Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies by Lee Livingood. They address the issue of whether or not you should get a greyhound during that tumultuous period in your life, Bri.

Lastly, more often than not, Greyhound adoption groups will weed out the bad owners from the good owners. Many adoption groups can and WILL call your vet for reference. They will also conduct a homecheck. They will also inquire into the history of your past pets. If they can accept Lily and Roxy's living conditions (in Bri's case), then it is their final decision as to whether or not they will adopt out to Bri. I also want to add: The Greyhound world is very well connected. If there is a notoriously bad Greyhound owner, word will spread and groups will refuse to adopt out to that one person.

My point: If anybody has qualms with Bri's decision, take it out on PM.

Actually, one more - GreyTalk.com has been mentioned twice already, but here you go again :)

GreyhoundGirl
08-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Looking any dog in the eye is a challenge. It is not a breed characteristic to tolerate this behavior from humans. Dogs are not human!!!

:confused:

So, Does anyone know if greyhounds can learn "sit up pretty"?

Also I enjoyed the book " Adopting the racing greyhound"

You can read a few pages of the book here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/087605193X/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-9107903-7216662#reader-link

Suki Wingy
08-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Sophie is right about looking dogs in the eye. They will take it as a challenge. How they respond to it is up to each individual dog. I do not know if greys can "sit up pretty" or not, sorry. (I call it circus dog)

Roxyluvsme13
08-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Sophie, thank you :). My mom doesn't want another dog right now anyways, although I do love this girl.
http://greyhoundrescue.org/Mercedes3.jpg
Her name is Mercedes.

Mercedes is a light fawn 2 year old female. She is being foster with cats, has been with a small dog with success and she loves attention. What more could you ask for?

Small Animal Friendly: Yes.

I think she would fit in nicely here.. :D.

Zippy
08-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Wow Bri she is beautiful

zoomer
08-17-2006, 02:19 PM
She's a beauty!

I was going to say something about walking not being the only excersizes. You've got to have time to play frisbee, ball, walk him, train him, and everything else. One walk a day isn't enough.

Roxyluvsme13
08-17-2006, 02:21 PM
She's a beauty!

I was going to say something about walking not being the only excersizes. You've got to have time to play frisbee, ball, walk him, train him, and everything else. One walk a day isn't enough.
Yeah I know. But inside time is perfect for ball and training. I'm sort of even afraid to try adopting a Grey now, seeing as they probably wouldn't approve us.. :(.

Roxyluvsme13
08-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Ahh, Mercedes.. <3 Do you guys think she would fit in here at this current point in time? (yes, I said my mom doesn't want a dog, but I want opinions on that)

bckrazy
08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Wait, so, your Mom would allow a Greyhound to stay indoors? And not Roxy? Does she realize that Greys (even though they can scrunch themselves up when they're sleeping ;)) are larger & taller than Roxy? =P I would say no, quite honestly. These dogs should never be outside for extended periods of time, they definitely need immediate medical attention for what would seem like a benign puncture on any other dog, and they should be walked/exercised often every single day to be happy.

I assumed you wanted a Grey when you moved out, but as far as what I've heard about the current situation, no.

I didn't even comment about "if I got a Grey, I would give away my Bettas to make more time"... because Bettas are disposable, right? =/

k9krazee
08-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Honestly? No. I don't see how you could get a dog (that will be large and living in the house) when you have a dog living outside.

Teehee, edited to say I agree with Erica.

Roxyluvsme13
08-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Wait, so, your Mom would allow a Greyhound to stay indoors? And not Roxy? Does she realize that Greys (even though they can scrunch themselves up when they're sleeping ;)) are larger & taller than Roxy? =P I would say no, quite honestly. These dogs should never be outside for extended periods of time, they definitely need immediate medical attention for what would seem like a benign puncture on any other dog, and they should be walked/exercised often every single day to be happy.

I assumed you wanted a Grey when you moved out, but as far as what I've heard about the current situation, no.

I didn't even comment about "if I got a Grey, I would give away my Bettas to make more time"... because Bettas are disposable, right? =/
Yeah she would, and I know her reasonings behind that, and I understand. I don't want Roxy inside right now at this time anyways. She's already inside almost every night. Yes, she knows they're larger and taller. Well, I do want one when I move out, but if our situation somehow changed, I would get one in the nearer future. No, bettas aren't disposable, and I would think that as a last resort. I rescued a fish and planned to rehome it, but I couldn't do it because I loved him too much.

Honestly? No. I don't see how you could get a dog (that will be large and living in the house) when you have a dog living outside.

Teehee, edited to say I agree with Erica.
Because I want another dog, and because Roxy's going to be outside for atleast another 4 years, and I do not control that. I think I've done enough getting her allowed indoors at night for now.

Jadapit
08-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't want Roxy inside right now at this time anyways.

"Sigh" that statement made me so sad. Why in the world would you not want Roxy inside? I honestly dont think you are ready for another dog. You said in one post that you cant walk Roxy very much because you having breathing problems. Will that go away when you need to walk your grey everyday ? I honestly think for now you should be happy with the two dogs you have.

I would love to rescue a pittie from a shelter but I know I cant at this point and time in my life sometimes we have to wait on what we want. That is the mature thing to do. IMHO anyway...

Roxyluvsme13
08-17-2006, 05:22 PM
"Sigh" that statement made me so sad. Why in the world would you not want Roxy inside? I honestly dont think you are ready for another dog. You said in one post that you cant walk Roxy very much because you having breathing problems. Will that go away when you need to walk your grey everyday ? I honestly think for now you should be happy with the two dogs you have.

I would love to rescue a pittie from a shelter but I know I cant at this point and time in my life sometimes we have to wait on what we want. That is the mature thing to do. IMHO anyway...
I'm sorry it made you sad, but there's honestly nothing else I can do. I've tried bathing her, I've tried training her, I've tried crating her, and done every other thing possible to get her being a full time inside dog. My mom's never going to change her mind about that, and this thread is again not about Roxy. I asked for Greyhound Info, not to be bashed over Roxy living outside. The issue's been discussed thousands of times, and why don't you people get my mom isn't going to change her mind? You know why I don't want Roxy inside? Because she would hate it. She would be at the door all the time crying to go outside. She hates being inside for long periods of time, sure an hour or so running and playing in the house is fun, but she hates it after that. She loves being outside, and that's where she's staying atleast until I'm 18. I probably won't be getting a Grey anytime soon, because I do know I'm not ready for one. But all in all it's my own decision because I know my own limits. I knew I shouldn't have posted this thread in the first place.. :rolleyes:

Jadapit
08-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Bri, you need to understand YOU brought Roxy up by saying "I dont want Roxy inside right now" In the end isn't it your moms decision about the grey?
Everyone has given you lots of greyhound info, you asked if we thought a grey would fit in your house at this point and time. We are only stating our opinions that YOU asked for.

Roxyluvsme13
08-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Bri, you need to understand YOU brought Roxy up by saying "I dont want Roxy inside right now" In the end isn't it your moms decision about the grey?
Everyone has give you lots of greyhound info, you asked if we thought a grey would fit in your house at this point and time. We are only stating our opinions that YOU asked for.
Yes I know, but that's because I truly don't because the more I beg the more trouble I get in. I've gotten grounded and could have got suspended from PT if my mom found out about Roxy's bath. I've taken plenty of risks with her and done everything I can, and I'm tired of arguing with my mom when the current situation finally has us at peace. Yes, it's my mom's decision, and as I said the first time she's already said no, and I was asking for opinions on current living situations, not anything about Roxy.

Anita Cholaine
08-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Honestly, and for everything that has been said in this thread, my answer is no. I don't think Mercedes would fit in at this point in time, and I don't think it is time for you for another dog at all. But, as I always say, I guess (and hope) you're old enought to know your own limits...
You have all your life to get a greyhound, it's not something you desperately need right now!

I don't want Roxy inside right now at this time anyways.

It's a bit sad that you're always saying how much you love Roxy and then you say this :(

Roxyluvsme13
08-17-2006, 05:38 PM
I basically asked how she would fit into my current situation, not if I should get her. That is my mom and I's choice.

Natali, read my above post.

If I could, yes I would have her inside, but I'm not going to continue pursuing and making my mom mad when she's a very happy girl, and I've made so much progress and don't want to lose it.

bckrazy
08-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Um... Roxy was dragged into this because you asked our opinions, if we think your situation is right for a Grey. I say, heck no. I say heck no to any other animals, because I feel that NO animals are disposable, and one's current pets should be living the happiest life possible before more are even taken into consideration! I hate repeating this, but that's how I feel.

Roxyluvsme13
08-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Um... Roxy was dragged into this because you asked our opinions, if we think your situation is right for a Grey. I say, heck no. I say heck no to any other animals, because I feel that NO animals are disposable, and one's current pets should be living the happiest life possible before more are even taken into consideration! I hate repeating this, but that's how I feel.
Well, it's not about Roxy when she's happy. I'm not getting a grey and it was only a thought. I can't just decide I want a dog one day and go out the next day and get it. Umm, where the heck did you get the idea I think my fish are "disposable"? I never said that, and I sure as heck don't believe that. I love each and every one of my animals equally. My pets are living the happiest life possible. You may not think Roxy is, but you don't know her, and you'll probably not meet her for a long time.

GoldenRetrLuver
08-17-2006, 07:19 PM
and one's current pets should be living the happiest life possible before more are even taken into consideration! I hate repeating this, but that's how I feel.

Exactly how I feel.

Honestly, like it's already been stated many times, I think you should just be happy with the animals you do have for now and concentrate on them. It's fine to think and plan about the animals you want in the future, but you're young and your life may change soon (with school starting up you may have more homework to do, or you might want to get a job in the near future, etc.) and you have your entire life to get whatever animals you want. So, in my opinion, I really don't think your current living situation would be suitable for a Greyhound.

luvofallhorses
08-17-2006, 07:39 PM

I agree. you should be happy with the two dogs and other animals that you do have. :)

Roxyluvsme13
08-17-2006, 08:32 PM
..and if you have any other comments and concerns, discuss them through PM or email.. :rolleyes:

Iilo
08-17-2006, 11:14 PM
It's cute how yesterday you wanted a grey in five years, and now you're asking about if one would fit into your current situation. And then you yell at people for "bashing" you when they give your honest opinions.

A greyhound (IMO, and I honestly think Sophie would back me up on this one) needs a daily walk. Obviously, since you can't have time to give Roxy a daily walk, you wouldn't have time to give a grey a daily walk at this present time. Therefore, no, a grey would not fit into your current situation.

Giselle
08-18-2006, 12:45 AM
A greyhound (IMO, and I honestly think Sophie would back me up on this one) needs a daily walk. Obviously, since you can't have time to give Roxy a daily walk, you wouldn't have time to give a grey a daily walk at this present time. Therefore, no, a grey would not fit into your current situation.
I do have to agree with that. A daily walk is most preferable. A walk every other day is the absolute minimum. Without proper exercise, you're going to see those rock hard muscles wither away and it's not beneficial to the Grey.

In my honest opinion, at this day and time, at this very moment, a greyhound adoption agency would not adopt out to you, Bri. It *does* have to do with Roxy and Lily because agencies would prefer to see that all current dogs are receiving the utmost care, i.e. sleeping inside, daily walks, hearty meals everyday, etc. etc. Your adoption agency will most likely give you a brief lecture on good/bad dog food (mine did) and if you explain to them that you cannot afford better food than Pedigree, they will question whether or not you can afford another dog. From the little that I've heard, Roxy is barely halfway to where she should be. A new addition (a greyhound) isn't going to fix that. =/

Q: Can greyhounds sit pretty?
A: No idea! I've never seen a grey sit pretty for an extended amount of time, but Giselle can do it briefly when she's really excited over a really nummy treat. She'll briefly sit pretty and then fall back into a sit. Remember, ,most greys already have trouble sitting so I can't even imagine whut sitting pretty must feel like to them. I'm going to say, no, most greys probably couldn't sit pretty because of their anatomy, but it never hurts to try.

jackie
08-18-2006, 07:42 AM
..and if you have any other comments and concerns, discuss them through PM or email.. :rolleyes:

^Please don't make thread asking for opinions and information, then throw a silly comment out like this.

Did you not expect people to bring your other dogs into the thread? You said you are considering adopting a grey in five years time, then post a pic and ask if that dog will fit into your household NOW? Of course people are going to say what they think, and if you don't like it, don't post things on a PUBLIC FORUM.

bckrazy
08-18-2006, 08:27 AM
/\ for real, Jackie!

I feel that acting that way, is what escalates lots of your threads into arguements. People post because they care. You do not have to take the advice given, but at least respect our opinions as our own. When I ask for advice, I feel lucky when people offer me considerate, caring opinions, even if it's not what I want to hear... because in the end, everyone could just ignore it and say "Sure! w/e", and what good would that do?

I've never heard anything about Roxy being a wreck when she's indoors. Actually, the opposite. But honestly, wouldn't you think it's pretty reasonable for a dog who has lived her life outside to take some time to transition? It's a new world for her, per se, and she needs time to adjust. I have fostered a dog who was previously "outside", and within 2 weeks he could crash on the couch with the best of 'em.

GreyhoundGirl
08-18-2006, 10:13 AM
/\ for real, Jackie!

I feel that acting that way, is what escalates lots of your threads into arguements. People post because they care. You do not have to take the advice given, but at least respect our opinions as our own. When I ask for advice, I feel lucky when people offer me considerate, caring opinions, even if it's not what I want to hear... because in the end, everyone could just ignore it and say "Sure! w/e", and what good would that do?

I agree, well-said.

P.S. Giselle, ( or anyone else who knows ) Do you know weather greyhounds can " sit up pretty? "

k9krazee
08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
P.S. Giselle, ( or anyone else who knows ) Do you know weather greyhounds can " sit up pretty? "

She already answered the question...

Q: Can greyhounds sit pretty?
A: No idea! I've never seen a grey sit pretty for an extended amount of time, but Giselle can do it briefly when she's really excited over a really nummy treat. She'll briefly sit pretty and then fall back into a sit. Remember, ,most greys already have trouble sitting so I can't even imagine whut sitting pretty must feel like to them. I'm going to say, no, most greys probably couldn't sit pretty because of their anatomy, but it never hurts to try

GreyhoundGirl
08-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Ah, I thought so. Just wondering. I didn't even see that post. :o

Roxyluvsme13
08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Well, I asked for opinions, not bashing, and did I ever ever ever EVER say I was actually getting one? NO. I said I was thinking, but of course I'm not getting one right now and you should have been smart enough to know that. :rolleyes:

Iilo
08-18-2006, 10:43 AM
I guess I should work on my skillz as a mind reader.