PDA

View Full Version : CFA's top ten cat breeds

yorkster
05-24-2002, 07:36 PM
This is the Cat Fanciers' Association's list of the top ten
most popular breeds. Last year, Persian cats were at the top of the list
with more than 23,000 registrations and Maine Coon wasn't far behind...

According to our 2001 registration statistics, the top 10 most popular
breeds are:
Persian
Maine Coon
Exotic
Siamese
Abyssinian
Oriental
American Shorthair
Burmese
Birman
Tonkinese

http://www.cfainc.org/news.html

AmberLee
05-24-2002, 08:53 PM
Dear Yorkster,

Thank you so much for this link. It alerted me to California SB 1373 that I'd totally missed previously. {{{hugs for the info!}}}

A.L.

05-27-2002, 03:13 AM
:( sniff sniff .......... :eek:
My cutie Sydney is not in that list .............:confused:
To me he is my most popular cat :D :rolleyes: :p !!!!

yorkster
05-27-2002, 05:17 AM
What kind of cat is Sidney? Maybe he falls under the domestic shorthair...............;)

Ann
05-27-2002, 05:37 AM
Is this list only valid for America?

And can someone explain what that new law means? I know it doesn't apply to me but I'm still curious to hear about it (I didn't really understand what it meant from the site)

yorkster
05-27-2002, 09:20 PM
I am not sure, but I do believe that the CFA is world-wide.
As far as the CA law, I don't know much about it, but AmberLee does- maybe she can explain it. :confused:

AmberLee
05-28-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Ann
Is this list only valid for America?

And can someone explain what that new law means? I know it doesn't apply to me but I'm still curious to hear about it (I didn't really understand what it meant from the site)

I don't know all that much about it. I started this thread in General (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=11089) but it's not in much depth.

They are trying to reduce the numbers of unwanted pets by (apparently) trying to regulate catteries and breeders. From what little I've found on it, it's very poorly worded/conceived to do what they're trying for. **Sigh**

Ann
05-28-2002, 02:23 AM
This reminds me of that other law thingy I posted about a while back :mad: Sure it's a nice thought but I don't think that that is the right way to go about it...

yumyum6970
05-28-2002, 07:00 AM
That is cool, thanks!! :) My Dutchess (Birman) made top 10 but YumYum (Ragdoll) didn't. :(

yorkster
05-28-2002, 05:27 PM
I was suprised that Ragdoll was not in there too- they are extremely popular right now :confused:

luvdemabys
05-30-2002, 02:45 PM
C'mon, Abys...You can pass those loud ole Siamese!

wayne0214
06-02-2002, 09:04 AM
LOL ,Luvdemabys.:D, I tend to agree with you, when people become more familiar with Abyssinians as a different breed of cat, they will probably gain in desirability. I have both types in this managerie. Tiger is a lynx-point Siamese, and there are 4 kittens who are part Abyssinsian. As far as desiring one over another, I find it a difficult decision because, they have entirely different personalities If a person wanted a Siamese type personality cat, they would probably be disappointed with the especially nighttime antics of an Aby. Also, aby's popularity is hampered by not being as common as a Siamese or a Siamese mix. And besides, I'm not sure that many folks, who are casual cat owners, would be able to tell the difference between the character of an aby and a siamese.:)

..........wayne