PDA

View Full Version : Pa. state car inspections

davidpizzica
08-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Wednesday I take my Cobalt to the garage to have it inspected. For once in a long time I don't have to worry about my car passing. Right now it's emmissions exempt which means that I don't have to pay extra for that test (ripoff). Pennsylvania can be pretty tough on car inspections.

catnapper
08-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Don'tcha just love that $50 test? It drives me nuts (get it? DRIVES me nuts? Og I crack myself up!) to pay $50 for a test that all new cars pass without any trouble. The only ones that fail are 20 years old.

Good luck with your inspection

momoffuzzyfaces
08-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Be thankful you at least HAVE a car to be inspected! :(

davidpizzica
08-16-2006, 05:42 PM
My car passed inspection & emmissions with flying colors to the tune of $62.49. Most of that is for the emmission test which I think is a ripoff for the people of Pa. who have to get their cars inspected.

Lady's Human
08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Given the cost of the inspection equpiment (20-30K for the garage for ONE set), certification required for the mechanics, and the other costs associated with the equipment, it's a ripoff for the garage.

Daisy and Delilah
08-16-2006, 08:40 PM
I would give anything to have inspections in Florida again. I'm really tired of being behind some smoke blowing rattle trap that's ready to fall apart at any given moment. I used to strongly dislike the inspections when I was younger. That was back when I couldn't afford anything for the car so I had to just get by as best as I could. Bring back those pesky inspections I say!! ;)

cyber-sibes
08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
remember years & years ago before inspections? There was an abundance of crappy falling apart "rust buckets" as my dad used to call them. There were cars with doors and bumpers wired on, cars without bumpers, cars with smashed in side panels - not to mention the smelly clouds of fumes! Must admit, you don't see those too often anymore.

Logan
08-16-2006, 08:52 PM
David, I am interested in how often your car has to be inspected? Like Florida, South Carolina no longer has any mandatory car inspections either. We used to have them, but they have been gone for ages. The way they were handled was a rip off, anyway. They weren't that expensive, but the repairs the mechanics found were. All for the almighty $$$$. Then there were the mechanics who didn't care and just passed as many as possible to get it overwith.

Logan

davidpizzica
08-17-2006, 03:36 AM
We have to have our cars inspected every year. I guess it's a good thing because it helps keep the rattle-traps off the road. I'm close enough to Ohio (which doesn't have inspections) to see old wrecks with Ohio plates here in Pa. I think some Pa. people register their cars in Ohio to avoid inspections.

Samantha Puppy
08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
One thing I am NOT looking forward to about moving to PA - yearly state car inspections.

managemysite
08-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I live in florida, we did away with inspections about 6 years ago!

Ginger's Mom
08-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Here in New Jersey a new car does not have to be inspected until it is four years old (not sure about people coming into the state with cars under four years old), then it has to be inspected every two years. It is done by State Inspectors, so there is no charge, and no mechanics looking for things to find wrong, but you can wait in line for a long time. Personally I think the longest I have sat in an inspection line was about an hour and 20 minutes, but you hear some stories of two hour or more waiting times.

Daisy and Delilah
08-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Our inspections in Florida were done by state inspectors too, Joyce. There were no mechanics looking to make money either. It was basically an honest inspection and it let us know what was wrong with our cars. We didn't have to pay anything and sometimes the wait was longer than desired. The advantage was that it kept all the junky cars off the road. People were made responsible to keep their vehicles up to par. In Florida, it really was more beneficial to all of us than it was anything else.

To the best of my knowledge; Florida dropped inspections way over six years ago. It seems more like over 20 years.