PDA

View Full Version : Horse Show!

Tralee
08-14-2006, 05:55 PM
I competed in a dressage show this past weekend. I showed 1st level test 1 and 2 both saturday and Sunday. Tralee was perfect. She walked calmly from the barn to rings, very very little jigging. She even got to have a little grass, which she has not had since her laminitis. Last year we had a lot of issues with her being very hot at shows. She got 61% in both clases on Saturday. On sunday she got a 59% on her first test, and her second was a 57%. By the second test on Sunday she and I were both tired so we didn't preform as well.

Her stall had a very low celling, and Tralee must have hit her head 15 times. When she hit her head she ran backwards. She scrape herself between the ears. I felt so bad for her.

It was a two hour drive home. At home we were un loading her from the trailer and she backed off the trailer extremely fast. I at the front of the trailer holding on to her lead rope. I tried to hold on to the lead rope, but she pulled it right through my hand. I got a very painful rope burn on my hand. She had had enough and wanted to do in her big roomy stall where she can stretch her neck out.
Here is a picture of my hand. I have circled all the burns.
http://i8.tinypic.com/24n1beu.jpg

I will post links to pictures from the photographer as soon as they are put on the internet.

ETA- We talked with some people at the show and we are seriously considering breeding Tralee next year. I have a hannovarion stallion all picked out. The timing would be great , I could spend the summer before college with the foal, and then while I'm in college the baby can go out to pasture with other horses its age, and grow up. When I get out of college I will have a four year old future dressage horse1

Suki Wingy
08-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Sounds great!

Toby's my baby
08-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Sounds like fun! Sorry to hear about your hand, that always hurts. :o I can't wait to see the pictures!

I'm not familiar with percentages...is what you got pretty good? Sorry..I do gaming stuff. :p

3 year old, that you are going to be taking from the pasture that hasn't hardly been worked with??? :eek: I hope you know what you are getting yourself into!

Tralee
08-14-2006, 09:10 PM
My mom would work with the horse while I'm in college. I feel the horse should learn all the ground work, lunging and long lining. Then the horse needs some time to grow and develop and be a young horse before it is broke for riding. I do not mean it would be thrown out in to a field and forgotten about for four years.
We may not breed her as there are a lot of factors to consider. She would be 20 years old and is a maiden mare. There is a good chance that we won't be able to get her pregnate. There is also the chance she or the foal wouldn't make it.
Trust me, making this decision is not being taken lightly.

When you show dressage you do a test where there are movements you have to preform at the different letters. As you progress up the level you require to preform more difficult movements. Each movement is judge on a scale of one to ten. 10s are quite rare. The precentage is detiremined by the number of points possible and the number of points you received. Anything in the 60s range and higher is considered very good. Anky Von Grusvan received a 86% in her Grand Prix Freestyle, which is ver impressive.

Toby's my baby
08-14-2006, 10:18 PM
My mom would work with the horse while I'm in college. I feel the horse should learn all the ground work, lunging and long lining. Then the horse needs some time to grow and develop and be a young horse before it is broke for riding. I do not mean it would be thrown out in to a field and forgotten about for four years.
We may not breed her as there are a lot of factors to consider. She would be 20 years old and is a maiden mare. There is a good chance that we won't be able to get her pregnate. There is also the chance she or the foal wouldn't make it.
Trust me, making this decision is not being taken lightly.

O, ok, I thought you meant you would just put her out to pasture for 4 years. :p That was probably really stupid of me to think that, but I just wanted to make sure. I love horses, as most of us here do, and I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to mom or baby, or YOU! Good luck with whatever desision you make!

When you show dressage you do a test where there are movements you have to preform at the different letters. As you progress up the level you require to preform more difficult movements. Each movement is judge on a scale of one to ten. 10s are quite rare. The precentage is detiremined by the number of points possible and the number of points you received. Anything in the 60s range and higher is considered very good. Anky Von Grusvan received a 86% in her Grand Prix Freestyle, which is ver impressive.

I get it now! :p Well sounds like you did an excellent job then!!