PDA

View Full Version : Runner won't eat her food

ashleycat
08-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I've had her for 3 days. She won't touch her food. She waits till human food hits the floor. From my daughter lol. So she hasn't ate very much. The foster gal said her hubby fed them under the table. So she's spoiled that way.

Right now, cus we are on a tight month, I got her purina one Chick N Rice.

What should I do to get her to eat? She'd rather starv it seems. Should I get the canned or the benifuls sp and mix it with it? Or is there another kind of food that I could get that might smell better to eat for her?

Dorothy39
08-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Try mixing small pieces of chicken, canned salmon, beef/rice with her dry kibble. :confused: --reading the appropriate serving indicated on the dry kibble, and, adjusting that with the added meat. You might have to shop around for a dry kibble that your dog will enjoy. The objective here is to establish a feeding schedule.

Some dog owners add chicken broth to the dry, discarding any left overs.

Resolve the "begging for table scraps" by NOT handing them out. :( They are regarded as treats, and reinforce the begging of course!! I know, it sure seems cruel, doesn't it!!!

I'm sure you will receive some great advice from others on Pet Talk

Karen
08-14-2006, 11:12 AM
She will not starve to death. You need to win this battle of wills, for your own sanity. She's in the adjustment phase, this is not unusual when moving to a new home. Try to keep the table scraps to a minimum (dunno how old your daughter is, so ...), no extra treats during the day, and keep the kibble available.

ashleycat
08-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Ha! tell that to my almost 2 year old. lol.

animal_rescue
08-14-2006, 11:15 AM
You might want to try that Iam Gravy stuff, but no table scraps until she starts eating her food, keep her away from the family when you eat if you have to.

buttercup132
08-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Why not feed her raw , its like people food and better for her.

elizabethann
08-14-2006, 01:00 PM
I like the suggestion of mixing her kibble with chicken and/or beef.

When Fenway was little, he stopped eating his Merrick kibble. So I mixed it up with other dry foods. So now he gets 50% Merrick, 20% Innova, 20% Nutro & 10% Fromms (or something like that). But Merrick is still his main staple. It's just mixed with other food.

So now he eats it.

I think dogs try playing with your mind. Just like kids. Good luck!

MajesticCollies
08-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Dorothy39Try mixing small pieces of chicken, canned salmon, beef/rice with her dry kibble. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif --reading the appropriate serving indicated on the dry kibble, and, adjusting that with the added meat. You might have to shop around for a dry kibble that your dog will enjoy. The objective here is to establish a feeding schedule.
Ya Dorthy has it right!!!! My Collies get raw for one meal and 1 cup kibble with Salmon or chicken and of course thier Solid Gold Seameal for thier daily holistic Nutrients.