PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Fridays #7: When you discover it's your choice and your attitude...

christa
08-14-2006, 07:57 AM
THINGS START TO HAPPEN!!!

:D

Well, it's WEEK 7!!! So many of you have been successful already! Lost pounds in our 7 weeks of living healthy! And don't you feel better!?!?

My good report story: I went and bought myself my first pair of Size 5 jeans this past week! :D

Anyway, I LOVE hearing all of your good report stories . . . that you're clothes are getting too big!!! . . . how you're avoiding temptations . . . how you're learning that eating healthy isn't that hard. And I love to think that you can come here when it is hard . . . there are people here to support you when times are tough . . . heck, even I need some encouragement every now and then . . . and coming on here & reading all of your daily activities and updates & seeing how well you all are doing just gets me pumped!

Please keep posting meal ideas, recipes, your workouts . . . because there may be someone that uses *your* example for motivation for their own life. :)

Have a GREAT WEEK everyone!!! You all are doing GREAT!!! ;)

Rachel
08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Christa, I look forward to seeing your theme for the week.

Some of my weekend choices weren't the best but my attitude remains good. I don't let mistakes get in the way of forging ahead with more ways to do better. I've evaluated why I made those poor choices, so I can devise a plan of action when in a similar situation and came to the conclusion that I would be better off packing a lunch than resorting to fast food.

christa
08-14-2006, 01:53 PM
I've evaluated why I made those poor choices, so I can devise a plan of action when in a similar situation and came to the conclusion that I would be better off packing a lunch than resorting to fast food.

AWESOME! Say NO to fast food! :)

Giving up fast food was a biggie for me! I was a fast food junkie!!! I quit it cold turkey & it was tough, but I'm so glad . . . and now it doesn't even sound good . . . SERIOUSLY!!! I'd say the only "fast food" place I frequent now is Subway . . . and you have to be careful there too!!! Some of their stuff can be crazy bad for you, but they're good about having all the nutritional info posted right up front for you! :D

Flatcoatluver
08-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes, your themes are very motivating.

So I have been drinking A LOT more water, so I am trying to flush out pop. I also watched celebrity fit club this weekend which is very motivating. My goal is by next year to lose 50 pounds ATLEAST since it’s my senior year next year. I don’t have to work all this week until Sunday, then I have to work 7 days in a row, which will give me tons of exercise. I am interested into switching to nutro-system. My friend is doing that and lost 25 pounds so far. Anybody else use it?

christa
08-15-2006, 08:35 AM
Let us know how your week of workouts go, Flatcoatluver!!!

I am interested into switching to nutro-system. My friend is doing that and lost 25 pounds so far. Anybody else use it?

You mean Nutri System? Is that where you have to buy their food?

Seriously . . . I would say just do it on your own. I am sure that it works for people and maybe it's easier, but it's not that hard to do it on your own either.

First of all, exercise every day. :)

Get rid of the junk food, fast food, and pop.
Eat 3 meals a day & 2 healthy snacks. Don't Skip Breakfast!!!
Get plenty of fiber to fill you up.
Drink lotsa water.

Just my opinion . . . I don't personally know anyone that has been on NS, but like I said, I'm sure it is easier because the meals are already prepared. I just prefer to cook my own food :D

Pembroke_Corgi
08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Wow, I have to say everyone is doing a great job, it's really motivating! Can I join in on the action? I'd like to lose between 10-15 pounds that I put on last year after getting out of college. I've always been fairly active, so my biggest problem is eating too much!! I love to eat out and try new restaurants, but they aren't of course the best ways to lose weight.

This last week I have managed to commit to working out every morning and cutting down on junk foods. I do feel healthier even though I don't know if I've lost any weight or not. Also, I just started a new job as a counselor at a residental treatment center for teenage girls. We have to take the kids to the dining hall and eat with them, which means I have to eat cafeteria food...the food is so blah I can't eat much (and I was told to stay away from the salad bar as the kids spit in it), so I will definately lose weight working there whether I want to or not.

Toby's my baby
08-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Good Job everyone on week 7!!! I can't believe it has been the long already! :eek:

I feel so discuraged... I'm trying to eat better, and I drink tons of water everyday. I go to the weightroom and lift weights and work out 3 days a week. I just started going to the weightroom about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I'm already lifting as much as my friends who have been going there all summer. I exercise a lot, and I try to eat 3 meals a day, but it usually ends up only being 2 meals. I haven't lost any weight though. :( I guess I shouldn't be hard on myself, because I don't REALLY need to loose any weight..I'm 120 pounds and 5'5"..that's and ideal weight..isn't it?? :confused: I guess I just want to be skinnier. :o

christa
08-15-2006, 12:54 PM
I haven't lost any weight though. :( I guess I shouldn't be hard on myself, because I don't REALLY need to loose any weight..I'm 120 pounds and 5'5"..that's and ideal weight..isn't it?? :confused: I guess I just want to be skinnier. :o

Well, IMO, you are at an ideal weight. The perfect weight, really, for your height. Maybe even close to being underweight - so watch out! Every "ideal weight calculator" that I've checked out has given this approximate range.

Ideal Weight Calculator (http://www.fitnessonline.com/tools/idealweight/)

You should just focus on getting some lean muscle. Muscle will make you look thinner. Do you lift for your back? A strong back tends to make a woman's waist look thinner! Lat pulls! Lat pulls! ;)

Toby's my baby
08-15-2006, 01:42 PM
How do you lift for your back...???

edit: did the weight thing on the link, says I'm under. I don't have a small build, its more of the athletic type...

JenBKR
08-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi all! I usually read the friday fit club, but have never chimed in. Too embarrassed to admit that I had gained a good bit of weight in the past few years. Just wanted to say that you guys are very inspiring! I started a pretty strict diet on May 22 and have lost 31 lbs. so far and feeling much better, would like to lose a little more. I actually found this diet in a magazine and it's really working! I'd like to get back to where I was in high school. Walking Roscoe has helped alot too, and he doesn't let me miss any workouts ;) I have also been using our Bowflex a lot, which has helped. Great job all!

Toby's my baby
08-16-2006, 10:20 AM
That is great JenBKR!! Congrats!

Just a new suggestion... it has been a while since we posted recipes, and I don't think that we have had anything for breakfast....?? Since it is always stressed that breakfast is the most important meal I think we should get some recepies. Or not even recepies if you don't have any, but healthy things you eat for breakfast. :)

Rachel
08-16-2006, 02:03 PM
My breakfast is cereal, fruit and fat free milk. I used to add just a sprinkle of sugar, but have recently eliminated that and find that it's just as good without it.

If I want to kick it up a notch, I will just have fruit for breakfast, but generally I'm fairly hungary in the morning.

JenBKR
08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
I usually have a piece of toast with strawberry All Fruit and a cup of coffee. Sometimes I'll have a little bit of cereal (Kashi) with a banana on it and some milk. My breakfasts are particular to the diet I'm on, which allows me 1 starch and 1 fruit serving (and a dairy, but I don't always use it for breakfast since I'm only allowed one dairy a day).

Flatcoatluver
08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
I have toast with 0 calorie I can't belive it's not butter, spray butter. I like it better then butter too.

cyber-sibes
08-16-2006, 02:21 PM
I started a pretty strict diet on May 22 and have lost 31 lbs. so far and feeling much better, would like to lose a little more. I actually found this diet in a magazine and it's really working!I'm impressed! Would you share it with us? What magazine/what month/what article?
On the subject of breakfast... I have a bowl of cereal and some fruit, or yogurt & fruit. I've been sticking with making better choices, and lost a couple lbs. this week. :)

JenBKR
08-16-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm impressed! Would you share it with us? What magazine/what month/what article?

Oops thought I mentioned it. It's called the Rice Diet (http://www.ricedietprogram.com/) . Don't let the name scare you away, you do eat more than rice. In fact, I haven't had rice in weeks. It's basically a balance of whole grain carbs, veggies, and fruit. I only eat meat once a week, and it's usually fish or lean chicken. It's different for me because I am used to eating more meat, but I like it because I love potatoes, spagetti, and stuff like that and I eat a lot of it on this diet. The article was in First magazine. I still have it, if anyone wants to look at the article I can scan it in and put it on here. It may not be a diet that everyone can follow because you are limited as to what you can eat, but it has been working really well for me. :)

christa
08-16-2006, 07:07 PM
BREAKFAST! What a great topic! :D

First off, I ALWAYS have my cup of coffee! LOL

Sometimes I have a bowl of Kashi cereal with light soy milk (throw in some fruit for yummy goodness!)

Sometimes I have a whey protein shake in light soy milk - good for those hurried mornings.

Sometimes I have toast & honey or toast & natty peanutbutter.

Sometimes I have a hardboiled egg with my toast!

I've never been much of a breakfast person, so I have to mix it up in order to make myself eat it. :eek:

Toby's my baby
08-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm not much of a breakfast person either, but I am now forced to eat it, because I am getting up much earlier now, than I do in the summer. Lately I have been have Raisen Bran, and I always have a craving for it :o. I used to have some sort of egg every morning but I pretty much stopped that. If I'm in a rush though, I just throw a piece of whole wheat toast in the toaster and eat that PLAIN, it is actually not that bad!

cyber-sibes
08-16-2006, 08:28 PM
I still have it, if anyone wants to look at the article I can scan it in and put it on here. :)Thanks, I would like to read it. I checked out the site link you posted, they don't really tell you too much except "Buy our book & come to our clinic" :rolleyes: . The before & after pics are pretty cool, but every diet posts those. it sounds familiar - is it based on macrobiotics?

JenBKR
08-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Thanks, I would like to read it. I checked out the site link you posted, they don't really tell you too much except "Buy our book & come to our clinic" :rolleyes: . The before & after pics are pretty cool, but every diet posts those. it sounds familiar - is it based on macrobiotics?

I know, the site really does promote the book more than anything. I'll scan the article and post it, it does tell you what to eat when and gives some good ideas. :) I'm not sure what macrobiotics are :o

christa
08-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Opps . . . I've been out of pocket for the past few days and I can see that our thread has gotten lost on PAGE 3!!!

Bumping it up!!!

:D

Anyone been doing anything fun & healthy lately? I am down in my back so I'm not sure what I'll do today, as far as exercise. Maybe nothing. :(

Just checking in!

Toby's my baby
08-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I feel so...gross. :p I sat in a car all day Thursday and Friday to go to and from Rochester, Minnesota, as I had a doctors appointment at the Mayo clinic on Thursday. It takes 6 hours to get there from here. We at out for every meal. :o I did drink water instead of pop or something, everytime we stopped to eat or get something at a gas station. I had pop once for lunch on Thursday though.

Hopefully I'll drag myself out of this computer chair, and get some exercise today. :o I'm just so tired. :o :rolleyes:

Hope everyone else is doing better than me!

RobiLee
08-19-2006, 11:37 AM
I just realized that I have not checked in this week.

I haven't been doing well with the eating part. I mean I haven't been over eating I'm just not eating very healthy. My weight has stayed the same. The good news is that I have been doing lots of walking and what's even better is that I have been enjoying it! Tori and I walk every morning. Katie is on the injured list and can't join us, but I did take her to the park lake this morning for a tiny walk. Tori and I have been walking anywhere from an hour to two hours. The two hour walk we took the other day was a major feat. I'm not for sure what the distance is though. I just always go by time. I'm not a very fast walker but thats ok , because at least I'm out there walking. Tori loves it and I love it!

I hope everyone has had a good week and Beth, I hope your dr. appt went well. Christa, I'm sorry to hear about your back and maybe you should take the day off. Gotta let that back heal, girl!

RobiLee
08-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Here is a recipe for a low fat appetizer I was thinking of trying.

Ham and Cream Cheese Rolls

6 slices low fat ham
4 T. lite cream cheese
2 T. chopped onion
2 T. chopped green pepper
1/2 t. lemon juice
1/4 t. garlic powder
Dash of tabasco
Dash of seasoned salt

Place ham slices on paper towels and blot to remove excess moisture. Combine all remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Spread mixture on each ham slice. Roll ham slice into a log shape and slice for serving.

Entrie recipe makes 6 servings.

Grams of fat: 2
Calories per serving: 89

jazzcat
08-19-2006, 11:58 AM
RobiLee - the ham rolls sound great and I bet I'd have a hard time not sucking them all down, LOL.

I just realized I haven't checked in this week either. I don't have a great update although I have gone to the gym 2 times and I've walked in my neighborhood several nights this week. I've been bad when it comes to food since we ate out the past two nights in a row (very unusual) and last nights food was pizza - the second time in a week. Shame on me!

I've been dealing with some health issues for awhile and finally went to the doctor this week. I go back in 10 days for test results and to discuss surgery. The doctor says this helps to explain my fatigue and inability to lose weight lately. Of course don't tell him I had pizza twice this week. :p

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-19-2006, 12:21 PM
For those of us finding it difficult to shed weight, can I suggest getting checked for PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome). It is one of the most underdiagnosed illnesses (a recent article I read said that only 10 % of women who have it actually know they have it!!) When I had it, I was in a weight-loss group, sticking to 1200 Calories a day, and gaining a pound a week!!

My update - I cant exercise this week, as I have stiches in my Navel (last year I had an op which left me with a HORRIBLE scar - so on Wednesday last week I went to a plastic surgeon to have the scar removed and the incision re-stitched). (This is in preparation for the BELLY RING which I will be getting when I reach my goal weight!!) ;)

I did buy a new Leslie Sansone DVD - 1 mile walk plus Beginners Yoga - so I am looking forward to getting some exercise once the stitches come out.

HOWEVER my weight loss has totally stalled this week - Christa - any advice re getting over this plateau??? :confused:

christa
08-20-2006, 12:26 PM
HOWEVER my weight loss has totally stalled this week - Christa - any advice re getting over this plateau??? :confused:

A lot of times, when you hit a plateau, it's because your body is getting used to what you are doing. You may either need to adjust your diet or your physical activity plan. I'm not saying that you need to eat less or exercise more. Just *change* it. Confuse your body so it will wake it up, so to speak.

It's easier to do this with your exercise plan. It would be easier for me to tell you what to do if I knew exactly what you were doing . . . but since I don't know exactly, I'll just give you an example of what I do. About every 12 weeks or so, I simply switch what muscle groups I lift for on each day of the week. Sometimes I'll change up how often I do cardio. Makes it easier if you make a schedule and stick to it.

Mine right now, and I'm sure I've posted this before is . . .

Monday - biceps & triceps & cardio
Tuesday - Legs & Abs & cardio
Wednesday - Delts & Cardio
Thursday - OFF
Friday - Back & Cardio
Saturday - Chest & Cardio
Sunday - OFF
(everyday I do one ab exercise)

Here in a few weeks, I'll be starting a new workout routine - so my body will be *shocked* and won't get used to this same old routine, day in and day out. And after having done this for probably 2 months, I am starting to notice a slowdown of progress.

So, I guess my suggestion to you is just to change it up from time to time. :)

JenBKR
08-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Bumping this up because I FINALLY found the article I got my diet from. Hope this comes through ok. Let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: It's a bit small to read on screen, and too big when printed....let me see if I can make fix it

cyber-sibes
08-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Thank you for posting that! Wow, that first woman's weight loss is INCREDIBLE! This diet looks really good to me, it doesn't look overwhelming to prepare or anything. Since carbs are always my downfall, maybe this is one diet I'll stick to! Well, off to the grocery store. :)

JenBKR
08-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Thank you for posting that! Wow, that first woman's weight loss is INCREDIBLE! This diet looks really good to me, it doesn't look overwhelming to prepare or anything. Since carbs are always my downfall, maybe this is one diet I'll stick to! Well, off to the grocery store. :)

I think that may be why it has been working so well for me. I just crave carbs. The first day, detox day, is the hardest but after that day i really am not hungry for the most part. I'll be so excited if you start this diet :) PM me if you have any questions. I average 3 lbs. weight loss per week, but some weeks i have more, and of course I hit plateaus. When I do hit a plateau, I just keep doing what I have been doing and try not to get frustrated, then eventually the weight starts dropping again. Good luck!!