PDA

View Full Version : Credit cards safety tip

Muddy4paws
08-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Recently my mums account got charged with a purchase of £50 on a card she KNEW she had got rid of.. She had thrown away the card by cutting it in half as she usually does and then throws it away with the other shredded documents.. She got in touch with the bank and the fraud ppl are getting on to it but she thought it was a safe thing to do, cut it up and throw it but we have been told by the bank the safest thing to do with used credit cards is to burn then so I thought I would just pass on this info so no one else gets scammed like this.

My mum thinks she will need to pay this company the £50 even though she didnt spend it, I know it might not seem like alot of money to some people but to us its not exactly pocket money :(

moosmom
08-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Not that I have credit cards, but that is a good thing to know. They now have shredders that will cross shred anything, including credit cards. I hope your Mom doesn't have to pay the $50.

G535
08-13-2006, 09:38 PM
My credit card has some kind of insurance for that kind of fraud. I always cut up the old ones and burn them but I know of others who just throw them in the rubbish bin.

Lady's Human
08-13-2006, 10:16 PM
If you destroy a CC, run a STRONG magnet across the magnetic strip, and cut the acct# into pieces.

smokey the elder
08-14-2006, 08:15 AM
We have a 600 MHz NMR magnet that will do just fine at erasing credit cards! When my debit or credit card expires I introduce it to Mr. Magnet then cut it up!

I'll put in a shameless plug for MBNA's security. I went to register my vehicles online, and my credit card was declined(!) I called the bank and they said there was a security freeze on my account. I had purchased a printer, which didn't fit my buying pattern, apparently, and they couldn't verify the purchase. Apparently they dialed the wrong number, put it in speed dial, and tried calling me at the wrong number. I called them up, verified who I was and they reactivated my account. I've been with this bank for 18 years; now you know why! :)