PDA

View Full Version : How do you (mostly) get your news?

Pam
08-13-2006, 11:59 AM
I was just thinking on this lazy beautiful Sunday how out of touch I am with what is going on in the world on the weekends. Often we don't turn the TV on until dinnertime. We have a TV in the kitchen where we watch the morning news and Good Morning America during the week and also the evening news while we eat. We also get the newspaper on the weekends but don't tend to read it right away.

There have been many times when I have been informed of a newsworthy event by logging onto Pet Talk. :o

I am wondering how you get your news. :)

caseysmom
08-13-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't even get a newspaper anymore. I mostly log on to news sites and my hubby has the news on all the time.

jazzcat
08-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I voted other because I get most my news from the internet or from hubby who reads the newspaper. If I know there is something big going on I'll turn on the tv.

I do watch the local news at night mostly for the weather.

Danegirl2208
08-13-2006, 12:06 PM
t.v and the internet..i rarely read the paper

Pam
08-13-2006, 12:07 PM
P.S. Even while I am work I am often *out of the loop.* I work in a doctor's office and he plays CD's all day long so the only way I hear things is when the patients come in and report things to us. :)

kuhio98
08-13-2006, 12:21 PM
I voted other. Mostly from the internet. We do get the newspaper, but I don't read it every day. When I'm off work, I usually watch one of the morning news shows, but they are getting more into entertainment than news. So, it's the internet for me.

RedHedd
08-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I voted other because I listen to the radio. At home it's the first thing that turns on in the mornin (it's my alarm) and I listen while getting ready for work and in the car during my commute. During the day I get it from the Internet. On the way home the radio again and when I get home, the first thing that gets turned on is the TV evening news.

Newspapers? By the time the news is printed, it's old news. I only read newspapers when they're lying around at the laundromat and there's nothing else to read. I catch up on what concerts or theatre events are coming up, but I really don't read newspapers or magazines for news.

Karen
08-13-2006, 12:48 PM
The Internet. We only watch the news on TV when we've learned something is happening.

Lady's Human
08-13-2006, 01:12 PM
A combination of newpapers and the internet. The DoD publishes a daily compilation of newspaper articles and articles from other sources called the "Early Bird". It is much better than reading a single newspaper because it contains articles from across the spectrum. After reading that, I tend to cross-check articles against other sources, as single source news is frequently biased and unreliable.

CathyBogart
08-13-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't have a TV (YAY!) so I get most of my news off the internet. :)

Dorothy39
08-13-2006, 01:55 PM
i voted , other.

I seldom watch television these days. :rolleyes:

I rely on the internet for local and international news, then, I rely on the television for up to the moment news when something is happening! I tend to surf several resources on a given topic. But, As a rule, I don't put as much faith in the "News" as I once did. I have learned more about the war in Iraq from Military Personnel who have returned home. Also, several friends give me more information on local news because they were there when it happened.

I read a weekly "advisor" for news and events in my community.

Pet Talk greases my wheels!!!!!!! :D

Edwina's Secretary
08-13-2006, 01:55 PM
I read two newspapers with my breakfast and watch the internet for any breaking news stories. I don't have much faith in tv news as I believe they go for the sound bite and sensational news....except for the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report :D :D ....those I try very hard to see.

I also read Newsweek and TIME each week.

When I was commuting I listened to all-news radio but a) I don't commute, b) I can't find a good all-news radio station here (not even public radio :( ) and c) I refuse to pay $300.00 to have the antenna on my car radio fixed....

Dorothy39
08-13-2006, 02:03 PM
I read two newspapers with my breakfast and watch the internet for any breaking news stories. I don't have much faith in tv news as I believe they go for the sound bite and sensational news....except for the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report :D :D ....those I try very hard to see.

I also read Newsweek and TIME each week.

When I was commuting I listened to all-news radio but a) I don't commute, b) I can't find a good all-news radio station here (not even public radio :( ) and c) I refuse to pay $300.00 to have the antenna on my car radio fixed....
Have you ever tuned into 104.1? News Talk, Michigan Radio?

I sometimes get a chance to listen to their station and I do enjoy it.

sirrahbed
08-13-2006, 02:17 PM
I get my breaking news here on PetTalk too, Pam :D

Seriously - sometimes I really do!! Otherwise I hear breaking news from hubby who gets it from the Internet and Foxnews.

Neither of us read newspapers anymore at all.

Randi
08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
I get a business paper every day, but it doesn't arrive till after I leave for work. If I take the bus or train, there are two free papers there to take along, they're even handed out at certain crossroads to cylists. :) They're quite informative actually.

It's not common for me to turn on the TV until evening, I only do if I hear of some "Breaking News" elsewhere.

I often watch the news on TV at 9PM, sometimes on BBC, sometimes on Denmark, and I've kept the opening page on the computer John had (BBC News).

I do watch CCN too if something exiting is going on in the world. ;)

Lizzie
08-13-2006, 03:39 PM
I have BBC News Online on all the time at work and read it a few times each weekend. It offers me a decent world view of the news, which I appreciate. I read the NYT at work (library) for in-depth items. I haven't had a television in nearly 20 years.

Pembroke_Corgi
08-13-2006, 03:47 PM
I mostly get my news from other people or while listening to NPR, though sometimes I catch a story after logging out from hotmail.

lizbud
08-13-2006, 05:39 PM
I get my news by reading all local news from the local paper. National and
world news on both TV and Internet news sites from around the world.My big
passion(besides animals) is politics and I read any thing I can on on that
subject. I do have some favorites on TV that I watch for entertainment., like
"The Closer" on TNT Mondays. :)

Almita
08-13-2006, 05:56 PM
We don't read the newspaper here, but we mostly watch it on tv or i would get it from the internet.

moosmom
08-13-2006, 07:19 PM
I read the local newspapers online. It's far cheaper than a subscription and it's also more reliable than the newspaper carrier.

I also watch the news on tv.