PDA

View Full Version : A Very Happy Memorial Day!

gini
05-24-2002, 10:10 AM
I would like to wish each and every one of you a very Happy Memorial Day.

I woke up this morning looking forward to this nice long weekend and an upcoming trip to Northern California. I also thought that this isn't just a "day off" it is in memory of so many lives lost fighting to keep America free and lives lost fighting for other countries to have freedom as well. It will be a sad day for many families who have recently lost a loved one.

Will you join me on Monday to say a quiet prayer for these souls and their families?

I realize that I am just a few posts away from being a true BLABBERMOUTH! Well, anyone could have told you that!
:p :p

So I will save my official over the hump post until next week when I return (Thursday).

This site is so special and I reach out and give each of you a big hug - all of you who love your pets as much as I love Rascal.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

AmberLee
05-24-2002, 10:16 AM
I agree.

(Gini -- whereabouts will you be in northern California? Have a great trip!)

Logan
05-24-2002, 10:30 AM
What wonderful words, Gini! My sentiments exactly. This weekend will truly be a "thoughtful" one....with Memorial Day brining our generation more to think about.

Helen and I are off to Charleston this weekend, in fact we leave in a couple of hours. So, if I "disappear", you will all know why!

Have a great and safe holiday weekend, everyone. :)

moosmom
05-24-2002, 12:47 PM
Happy Memorial Day everyone!

I will be offline from Saturday and will return on Thursday as I am flying to Michigan to see my family (a well needed vacation).

My cats are being care for by my friend Chris and I'm getting outta Dodge!!

Have a safe and wonderful weekend!

Donna

:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-24-2002, 12:58 PM
Well said, Gini, and hugs back to you and Rascal. :)

Seems Pet Talk might be kind of quiet this weekend. Terry and I will be gone too, taking the motorhome on another excursion. One of these days maybe we'll actually stay at a real live campground! :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend and take time on Monday to thank those who have sacrificed for our freedom.

http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/jon/smillie_flag.gif

wolflady
05-24-2002, 01:49 PM
http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/memorial/images/memoriald2.gif

Yes, everyone have a safe and pleasant holiday. Let us also give thanks to all the wonderful people that serve/have served our country and fight for our freedom! This is a wonderful country and I'm sure more people will stop to think about the gifts that others have sacrificed for us...especially with the events of the last year.
**hugs** to all of Pet Talk and all the pet talk pets!!:D

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/memorial/images/memday4.gif

P.S. Gini, have a safe trip...whereabouts in Northern Cal will you be?? AmberLee and I may just have to seek you out! LOL LOL ;)

tatsxxx11
05-24-2002, 04:18 PM
Amen to everyone's poignant words and heartfelt thoughts. This truly is a time for reflection. I wish you all a very happy and safe weekend! Gini, Donna, Logan, I wish all of you a safe and relaxing long weekend! I'll miss you guys till you're home again!! {{{Hugs to all the furbabies left in the care of loving family, friends and devoted pet sitters!!}}}

NoahsMommy
05-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Yes, everyone have a happy and safe holiday! Love the flags and the patriotism! :)

I am in Toastmasters and this week someone gave a speech entitled "America"-wonderful timing with Memorial Day coming up-and it was beautiful.

God Bless!!

anna_66
05-24-2002, 10:18 PM
All the heartfelt words of all of you are beautiful. I myself, as a waitress have to work all weekend, being a holiday and all, but I hope everyone of you who are out traveling have a very safe and fun holiday.
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/importD12.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/aproudam.gif
And I truely am proud of my country!

krazyaboutkatz
05-25-2002, 02:41 AM
I hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday.:D

sammi
05-25-2002, 02:37 PM
Happy Memorial Weekend To Everyone and Be Safe.
I do think a few people will be around lurking and posting on the message board. Unless more people quit.

jackiesdaisy1935
05-25-2002, 05:12 PM
Commentary on the Pledge of Allegiance

by Red Skelton

The following words were spoken by the late Red Skelton on his television program as he related the story of his teacher, Mr. Laswell, who felt his students had come to think of the Pledge of Allegiance as merely something to recite in class each day.

"I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you. If I may, may I recite it and try to explain to you the meaning of each word?"

I -- me, an individual, a committee of one.

PLEDGE -- dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self pity.

ALLEGIANCE -- my love and my devotion.

TO THE FLAG -- our standard, Old Glory, a symbol of freedom. Wherever she waves, there's respect because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts freedom is everybody's job!

UNITED -- that means that we have all come together.

STATES -- individual communities that have united into 48 great states. Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and purpose; all divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that's love for country.

AND TO THE REPUBLIC -- a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And government is the people and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION -- one nation, meaning "so blessed by God"

INDIVISIBLE -- incapable of being divided.

WITH LIBERTY -- which is freedom -- the right of power to live one's own life without threats, fear or some sort of retaliation.

AND JUSTICE -- the principle or quality of dealing fairly with others.

FOR ALL -- which means, boys and girls, it's as much your country as it is mine.

And now, boys and girls, let me hear you recite the Pledge of Allegiance:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic, for which it stands; one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance...

UNDER GOD

Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?

- Red Skelton

AmberLee
05-25-2002, 09:25 PM
Wow, great post Jackie's Daisy!

sammi
05-26-2002, 09:15 AM
Thanks Jackie! That was a wonderful eye opener.

Ann
05-27-2002, 08:34 AM
One day I hope we won't have to have holidays like this, but instead we will have a peaceful world without war, where people can think "How could we be so foolish as to have wars?".

One day perhaps... I hope so atleast.

jackiesdaisy1935
05-27-2002, 09:05 AM
Ann, how right you are. We have so many intelligent people in control and still we have wars. Perhaps one day we will have
"Happy Peace Day"
Jackie

Ann
05-27-2002, 09:17 AM
I hope so too Jackie! That would be one holiday I would celebrate from the bottom of my heart!

Freckles
06-28-2002, 10:19 AM
It's time to reread Jackie's post on the first page about the Pledge of Allegiance.

gini
06-28-2002, 10:36 AM
Freckles - yes, thank you. And here we are - 4th of July only a few days away - last Memorial Day now a memory - and the courts are messing with the Pledge of Allegiance.

The daily news seems to only get worse - but if we would all remember that we ARE UNDER GOD - perhaps things would be better.

We are ultimately going to be held RESPONSIBLE!