PDA

View Full Version : A hurtful comment...

Kirsten
08-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I talked to a woman the other day on the phone, not really a friend, but a friend's friend, just someone I'm sometimes talking to. I mentioned my worries regarding Luna's lump, and she said that it's just a natural thing that animals die from cancer. :(

And then she called Luna DEGENERATED because of all the health problems she already had. I was so hurt that I could barely say anything. Besides, it's a waste of energy discussing these things with people like that.

Kirsten

GreyhoundGirl
08-12-2006, 04:02 PM
People do say hurtful things. Don't they? Unless it's happened before, she might just have thought it was the " nice" thing to say. She might not realise how much PTers pets mean to them. Good Plan, I wouldn't waste my time talking to these people either. ;)

Barbara
08-12-2006, 04:02 PM
A very heartless comment. Let me put it in German (an most of the others won't get how rude I am): So eine blöde Ziege! ;)

Kirsten
08-12-2006, 04:10 PM
LOL@Barbara's German comment! ;)

Well, I already had discussions with her in past, regarding the treatment of animals and animal rescue, and our opinions do slightly *coughcough* differ on these subjects... (even though she's calling herself an animal lover, but her views are completely different from mine, and from most Pet Talkers). She's sort of a dogmatic person, and it doesn't make much sense to argue, so I just let her talk... ;)

But it hurt hearing my beloved Luna being called "degenerated"!

Kirsten

GreyhoundGirl
08-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Ok, I can't stand not knowing something. And it was killing me. Curiosity killed the cat. I called one of me friends and got her to translate. He He HE. ;) Sorry, but the curiosity was killing me. :o ;)

MajesticCollies
08-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Kirsten,

Its sad some people don't think about what they are going to say before they open thier mouth. Have you seen a vet yet. Here's a site you can look at to get your Luna on some holistic medicine right away. They will tell you exacly what type of herbs to give her to control and probably cure whats going on with your Luna. Hope it helps. http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/overview.htm . Alot of people forget what natural healing powers our earth can provide.I truly believe in the art of holistic care and prevention of illnesses through holistic care. You would be surprised the defense mechinisms that plants and herbs and oils provide for our pets. Expensive some might say, Well look at your vet bills and compare. Much cheaper with daily use with holistic prevention!!!:D

Kirsten
08-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Sorry, but the curiosity was killing me.

LOL! :D

MajesticCollies, I already saw three different vets, I posted about it here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=110371. )

Thank you very much for the link, I'll check it tomorrow (now it's almost midnight, and bed time). On Monday, one of our local vets will be back from vacation, he's working a lot with this holistic stuff. Earlier this year, he recommended some homeopathic remedies to treat Luna's UTIs, and it worked well. I will call him and ask him for something to boost Luna's immune system.

Kirsten

Zippy
08-12-2006, 04:41 PM
(((HUGS)))
I wish everone understands are love for are animals but they don't.If life could be that easy.Some of my family doesn't understand me and my pets.I don't think she ment to hurt your feelings so people are just werid and think saying stuff like that is helping.

moosmom
08-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Kirsten,

That was very unkind of her. I think if she was in your shoes, she would surely feel differently. People who don't have pets have no clue the depth of love we have for our animals. If anything happened to one of my cats, you'd better believe I'd sell my SOUL to get them the medical help they need.

Catty1
08-12-2006, 05:33 PM
"stupid nanny goat"?

I think this online translation machine is just a little bit shy....

She must be a pretty miserable person. And she was WRONG.

LUNA is a most beautiful, warm big tabby - could just hug her FOREVER! :)

I bet this woman mixes up her sunblock and Preparation H and disappears!

Okay, it's on a par with the nanny goat..... :p

HUGS, Kirsten!

catmandu
08-12-2006, 06:13 PM
How anyone could say that about Beautiful Luna, knowing how much you love her, is beyond me.
Thats a mean thing to say, and really none of her business.
We know how much Lily and Luna mean to you, and we will always be there for YOU.

phesina
08-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Dear Kirsten, that is absolutely awful what the stupid nanny goat (or whatever she is in German) said to you. The woman clearly has no idea what the bond between a human and a pet can be and perhaps has no idea of loving connections at all. And she's clearly another one of these people who doesn't let the fact that she has no idea what she's talking about stop her from shooting off her mouth. As you say, it's a waste of energy discussing these things with people like that.

With friends (or friends of friends) like that, you don't need enemies!

Regarding holistic and homeopathic treatments: I have been giving Sydney 1 1/2 cc of Essiac tea twice a day for the last week or so. I pet-sit for a woman who is an herbalist and naturopathic doctor, and she suggested it as something that might help Sydney fight cancer. She put together a mix of herbs and gave me instructions on brewing some up for tea.

I looked on the Shirley's Wellness site that MajesticCollies recommended and found a number of references to Essiac.

In the last few days Sydney has gotten his appetite and his energy back and is acting just fine. I don't know if the Essiac has had anything to do with that or if it's just because he's healed from the first surgery. I am also giving him Interferon, which I got from the vet and which is a protein and an immune-system booster, so that might be helping too. You might mention these to the holistic vet and see if he thinks they might be helpful for Luna.

All the best to you, Luna, and Lily, and don't let stupid nanny goats get your goat!

Hugs,

Pat

momcat
08-12-2006, 09:14 PM
How can some people be so cruel? That comment wasn't only cruel... it was rude and ignorant to an extreme! My take on this individual sure isn't "nanny goat" but out of respect for you and all other PT'ers I can't post it.

Catty1
08-12-2006, 09:34 PM
okay....STUPID (nanny) goat!

That's better!

HUGS Kirsten!

trayi52
08-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Kirsten, there are always going to be stupid people out there that just doesn't understand how we feel about our pets. When one of their pets get sick, they just accept it. They don't worry about that pet the way we do. We worry as if these guys are our children! As a matter of fact, they are our children.

Yes, she is whatever Barbara said. I just don't think I would talk to her about Luna anymore, because she just don't care. Sorry you got your feelings hurt so.

Willie

dionne
08-13-2006, 12:55 AM
people can be so cruel and stupid.... :mad: :mad: :mad: i can't say don't let it get to you, because i know it does...but bear in mind that not a lot of people hail animals as people like we on PT do...

Kirsten
08-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Yes, "stupid goat" would be the correct translation - even though I think no goat deserves being compared to such a person!

Kirsten

momcat
08-13-2006, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Kirsten] no goat deserves being compared to such a person!/QUOTE]
Right on, Kirsten!!! I couldn't agree with you more. Comparing such a person to a goat, or any other animal on the face of this earth, is an insult to the animals!! Scritchies, tummy rubs, and smoochies to Lily, Luna, and of course, Peggy.....

Kirsten
08-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks! :)

Well, "blöde Ziege" is a common phrase in German, just like "stupid cow". :)

BTW, I bookmarked MajesticCollies' link, there's a lot of interesting stuff to read.

phesina, thanks for your info regarding this Essiac tea. I will do some research and ask the homeopathic vet about it. I hope it helps your Sydney to fight his disease!!! Do you think you have be to sure it's cancer to use it? You know, so far, I still do not know...

I also read that interferon helps a lot when a cat has cancer! Does it have any side effects?

Kirsten

phesina
08-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Dear Kirsten, I think I am going to keep the expression "stupid (nanny or billy) goat" in mind for deserving people! ..though as you said, goats don't deserve to be compared with such persons.

Thanks for your good wishes for Sydney. I don't really know that much about Essiac or Interferon. I only started using them in the last week or so with him. Please let us know what your homeopathic vet says about them. He probably knows much more than I do.

That will be good, too, if he is one of Luna's regular vets who had been on vacation, who already knows her.

All the best to you and your girls,
Pat and the kids