PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help?

Bronx'sBower
08-12-2006, 11:29 AM
I previously posted about Bowers behavior and he is thus far doing great. We are practicing A LOT but I have one set-back....I don't have a clue how to teach him to stay. I wait until he sits and stays for a sec and tell him "stay" then I will step back one step and tell him come and he does but I can only get two steps back, any more and he comes himself. Do I just keep practicing until I get farther away? Does anyone know how to teach this command, dumb question I know. I was going to read my training books but I get much better advice from PTer's. The methods in the books seem outdated and Bower seems to follow my direction when I listen to your advice....

JenBKR
08-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Oh boy, that was a tough one for Roscoe too. Still is sometimes, it takes a lot of work, especially for an alpha dog like him. Keep practicing the sit stay, but stay right by his side. When you release him (say all done or something like that, whatever command you choose for your release command) give him a treat. When he seems to get that far, face him and take one step back. Always follow with a treat and tons of praise. He'll get it, eventually. Make sure he's got that step before moving to the next one, my problem is that I try to move to fast. I am now able to make Roscoe sit stay until I go into another room for a while, and he will just sit there knowing I'm holding a treat, but it has taken tons of practice.

Another thing our trainer recommended was starting him doing sit stays while you are watching tv. Make him sit and stay during one commercial. (Then follow with the treat and praise, always). Once he has that, do it for two commercials. Keep going, until you have the whole commercial break. She said a good goal is to make him sit stay for an entire half hour sitcom. I have actually been able to do that with Roscoe, even though now sometimes he'll forget and lay down lol.

Another tip, while he's sitting, continue to say 'good boy, sit.' That seems to help us. Good luck!

Edit to add: I don't know your situation, but if you have not done any obedience training with your dog I highly recommend it. It helped us out tons!

Bronx'sBower
08-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Thank you...Bower starts obedience training in a few weeks, early September. We were having a hard time finding a good place to take him, every place I called acted like they didn't have time to answer any questions-they only told me how much it was and where to go...not real helpful. I want to know what to expect and what my pup needs to know before attending. It's kinda like finding a good preschool....But anyhow, thanks for the advice-we will try it soon. Bower's resting right now ;) I must be workin him good :) He's being so well-behaved now I can't believe it! It's like since I started working with him one on one with obedience/commands he is starting to realize who is alpha....it's a great feeling! I know I sound crazy but between my lack of experience and my pups overwhelming excitment we were beginning to clash....just glad role-reversal is coming along....

Bronx'sBower
08-12-2006, 12:55 PM
just wanted to check my siggy out....see if I got it to work...THANKS ZOOMER your wonderful!!!

Karen
08-12-2006, 01:04 PM
The key is repetition. Practice a little longer each time, and it will be worth it in the long run. I worked on "Stay" with the office dog where I used to work, and he learned it so well that his people then used it for getting him to wait at street corners, otherwise he's just lunge into traffic.

lizbud
08-12-2006, 05:07 PM
The key is repetition. Practice a little longer each time, and it will be worth it in the long run. I worked on "Stay" with the office dog where I used to work, and he learned it so well that his people then used it for getting him to wait at street corners, otherwise he's just lunge into traffic.

Karen is right. Practice, practice , practice. I found it to be one of the
most useful commands for everyday life.All puppy classes teach it & good
ones will take time to answer all questions on technique.

Aurie
08-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Sometimes dogs learn something and it isn't what we wanted. If you have him sit and then say stay and he does something else (like get up), he may have learned that stay = get up. I know there are some trainers that do not even use the command "stay" any longer. Once you put your dog in position (sit or down), they should hold it until you release them. I think Bronx believes, "stay" is his release word ;)

I would forget using the word 'stay' and come up with a release word you will remember to use each time. Don't use "Okay", as you will be surprised how often we all use that word in normal conversation ;) Try something like "All Done" or "Finished" and put your hands in the air to help get the message across.

It would be something like "Bronx sit." He sits. Give him a sec and say "All done" raise hands in air and cheer him for such a good boy. You should be able to lengthen that wait as time goes on. Good luck!

Bronx'sBower
08-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks Aurie....sounds like that may the best option-not using "stay" that is. Your right, I think Bower thinks "stay" is his release, he gets up EVERYTIME I say it :) He'll learn and so will I....sooner better than later :D