QueenScoopalot
08-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Black Jellybeans
By Margie Seyfer

:) :) :) :) :)

I've never read an official study on the matter, but I've noticed that
in animal shelters, black cats are the most overlooked. Black seems
to be the least preferred of cat colors, ranking below all combinations
of white, orange, gray, spotted and striped.

Black cats are still stereotyped as Halloween cats, creatures of bad
luck, more appropriate on a witch's broomstick than curled up on your
pillow. To make matters worse, in cages, black cats become close to
invisible, fading into the dark shadows in the back of a stainless-steel
cage.

For eleven years, starting when I was 10 years old, I volunteered at an
urban animal shelter. It always struck me as particularly unfair
that, time after time, I'd get to know affectionate, adorable black
cats, only to watch them be passed over by adopters merely because of
their color. I assumed there was nothing that could be done.

One day, many years into my work at the shelter, I spent a few minutes
petting a sweet, black half-grown kitten, who had been found as a stray
and brought to the shelter. The slender thing purred warmly at my
attention, gently playful as she patted my hand with one paw.

I thought about what a shame it was that the kitten was already too big
to be adopted on baby-kitten appeal alone, and so solidly black that
most people wouldn't even pause in front of her cage. I noticed there
was no name written on the informational card on her cage.

Since volunteers were welcome to name the strays that came to the
shelter, I thought for a moment about what I could name this black
kitten. I wanted to think of a name that could give the kitten the
kind of appealing "color" that might encourage an adopter to take a
second look.

The name Jellybean popped into my head, and I wrote it on the card, just
as I'd named thousands of cats in the past.

I was taken entirely by surprise when, later that afternoon, I overheard
a woman walking through the cat room say, "Jellybean! What a
wonderful name!"

She stopped to look more closely at the kitten, now batting at a piece
of loose newspaper in the cage. She asked me if she could hold
Jellybean, and, as I opened the cage, I sheepishly admitted that the
kitten didn't know her name, as I'd named her just hours before.

I lifted her into the woman's arms, and the kitten leaned into the
woman, looking up into her eyes with a purr of kitten bliss. After a
few minutes, the woman told me that she'd like to adopt this black
kitten, and, when the paperwork was approved a few days later, she took
Jellybean home.

I was pleased, of course - adoptions were always what nourished my soul
- but I chalked it up to a lucky break for one black kitten, and moved
on.

I was surprised again a few weeks later when the woman came back to the
shelter. She found me refilling water bowls in a cat room and said,
"You were the one who helped me adopt that black kitten a few weeks ago,
remember?

"Jellybean? I know you were the one who named her, and I've been
wanting to stop back to thank you. She's the sweetest thing - I just
love her to pieces. But I don't know if I would have noticed her if
she hadn't had that great name.

It just suits her perfectly. She's so bouncy and colorful - I know
that sounds crazy. Anyway, I wanted to say thank you."

I told her I was touched that she had stopped by and thrilled to hear
that Jellybean was doing well in her new home.

Then I explained how I thought black cats were often unfairly overlooked
and admitted the name had been my conscious attempt to get someone to
notice a cat who would probably not have been adopted otherwise.

She said, "Well, it worked! You should name all the black cats
Jellybean."

I smiled politely at the suggestion, thinking to myself that this woman
knew nothing of the harsh realities of animal shelters. Just because
I named one kitten Jellybean and it had gotten adopted didn't mean
anything - it had just been a stroke of luck.

Black cats were still black cats, after all, and most people didn't want
them.

As the day went on, I kept thinking about the woman's advice: "You
should name all the black cats Jellybean." As crazy as it seemed, I
decided I had nothing to lose.

Pen in hand, I walked along the cages, looking for a black cat without a
name. There was only one, a small black kitten alone in a cage,
sleeping. I wrote "Jellybean" on its cage card.

Later that afternoon, someone came along and said they'd like to adopt
that little Jellybean. Well, I thought to myself, that wasn't really
a fair test - it was so cute and tiny.

A few days later, a nameless black cat came along, fully grown. I
named it Jellybean. It was adopted. Days later, another.
Adopted. The process repeated itself enough times that, after a
while, I had to admit that maybe there was some magic in the name, after
all.

It began to seem morally wrong not to name black cats Jellybean,
especially ones who had a bounce in their step and a spark of joy in
their eyes.

Although I'd usually refrained from using the same name for more than
one cat, after a while, my fellow volunteers ceased to be surprised when
they came across another of my Jellybeans.

Of course, we'll need more far-reaching solutions to ensure that every
cat has a home. But for my black Jellybeans, sitting in sunny
windows, sniffing at ladybugs walking across the kitchen floor,
snuggling in beds with their adopted people, a name made all the
difference.

"Jellybean" allowed some humans to see beyond a dark midnight coat into
the rainbow of riches in a cat's heart.

Catty1
08-12-2006, 09:42 AM
I copied and sent this to my local Humane Society. Thanks! what a wonderful story.

There should be the Jellybean Foundation! :D

catmandu
08-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Thats a great story.
There were a lot of Black Cats at Petcetera, and I will suggest that they change a name to Jellybean, and see if that changes thier luck.
When your One Fine Day comes years from now, you will have a welcoming commitee of Jellybeans.

Corinna
08-12-2006, 10:08 AM
I have a hard time figuring why black kittys are over looked 2 of the 3 here are black . Love that story so creative.

jazzcat
08-12-2006, 12:25 PM
What a great story. If it truly works I hope every black kitty in shelters are named Jellybean!

I remember when I adopted Jazz the volunteers at the rescue were thrilled. I wanted a kitten and went for a tabby I had seen earlier in the week but she was already adopted and all they had left was this pitiful sickly black kitten named Chrissy (my Jazz). I was considering holding out till they got more kittens in but the lady who worked there took her out of the cage and stuck her in my husband's arms and begged us to take her home for the weekend and give it a try. She said we could bring her back on Monday if we wanted. Well on Monday I took her to the vet to discover she had ringworm, a nasty URI, tape worms and ear mites. The vet I saw wasn't my regular and he told me no one would blame me if I took her back. :mad: Well of course I didn't take her back and the rescue waived my adoption fee since I had such big vet bills. They said they were just thrilled that a black kitty got a home. :)

Jazz is great. I think black kitties are the sweetest!

moosmom
08-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Jan,

What a great story!! I got LES with that one. I also found, as a volunteer, that black cats were passed over. It's too bad too, because I had a black DLH I named Marina Mar (RB, 2001). She was the sweetest, most lovable cat I have ever known.

I am emailing the story to our HS as well.

zoey
08-12-2006, 12:48 PM
What a great story! I love black cats. The ones I've known have always been really easygoing and laid back. :D

momcat
08-12-2006, 01:46 PM
It's really sad that black cats and kittens are overlooked and passed over only because of their color. They'll thrive on the love and attention of an owner and will give so very much in return just like any other kitty. I only hope this story gets around to shelters, rescues, pet shops, and vets' offices and prominently posted. It's hard to change attitudes, especially those that have no realistic basis. But this is a great way to start. My thanks to the kind and caring person who started the Jellybean trend. Because of it, some deserving black kitties are in loving furever homes. May this be only the beginning.....

catlover4ever
08-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Jan, what a great story, thanks for sharing it. I too am forwarding it on to a local shelter whose owner I know.

Speaking from somone who has 2 black cats and I'm working on taming my 3rd (Oliver) I can not understand why they are overlooked. My Mystic and Vegas are just wonderful and I would not trade them for the world.

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2006, 05:38 PM
This story also gave me LES and I forwarded it to a few cat friends of mine. My RB Pepper has been the only black cat that I've owned and he was such a wonderful laid back loving cat. I adopted him from a rescue group at Petco and chose him because he was the friendliest and was purring constantly. He was also the only long haired kitten and I wanted one to kind of match my Storm's fur. He and Storm bonded within 1 hour and were best friends. I still miss him very much.

Danegirl2208
08-13-2006, 05:43 PM
What a great story.. it is so sad, this happens with dogs too. I happen to adore black cats

Karen
08-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Hee hee hee! We always saved the black jellybeans in our Easter baskets for my big brother - I didn't like them, and he loves 'em! And he's the only one of my siblings who doesn't have any cat allergy at all (skipped him, went to his daughters).

What a great story!

flamepony12
08-13-2006, 06:20 PM
What a wonderful story! Thanks for posting! :D

Lizzie
08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I should pass this on to the shelter where I've volunteered, also. They were thinking of adopting a ruse used by our local humane society, tying a bandana around the cat's neck before their photograph was taken - another colourful way to make them stand out.

I'll never forget Melissa's post about talking to a shelter worker who said their shelter was so overwhelmed with kittens that all the black ones were killed right away.

I've always loved black cats most of all, preferring that colour to any other, and I simply can't understand why others have an aversion to them. When I adopted Raven, the shelter apologised that he had a small dot of white on his throat because they knew I loved the all-blacks so much. The volunteer who took me around and introduced me to the social-ferals asked me to adopt her favorite because she'd been passed over so many, many times over the years - and she's georgous. People who avoid black cats are missing out.

It's interesting that this thread came up now because I was thinking this morning that I should photograph all my black cats and post a thread on them - Dagda, Belle, Raven, Luke, LOS (Limb of Satan because of her behavior, not her colour), Tom, and the still un-named CH kitten.

jenluckenbach
08-13-2006, 07:22 PM
What a wonderful story!

QueenScoopalot
08-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I've had a special place in my heart too for overlooked black kitties. Doing a lot of trapping, and trying to foster, and find fosters, shelters etc. to take on the never ending tidal wave of kittens, one of the comments I hear constantly is "I hope they aren't black"..."we have so many black ones already". :( I wouldn't trade my Skippy & Chip for any amount of money as they are such priceless characters. :)

carole
08-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Gosh that is a heartwarming story, being a proud owner of a lil black girl myself, i cannot understand people not wanting black kitties, here in NZ it is the opposite Black cats are seen as good luck. :)

smokey the elder
08-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Ebony, Bubba, Diva, Diamond and TicTac are my black kitties and represent more than half my population! They are all a bunch of mushes.

KitCat
08-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Keep on naming Jellybeans. It sure seems to give them luck!

JALB
08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
http://petadoption.co.orange.ca.us/animals/ShowImage.asp?ID=A0901902&Type=Cat&sortBy=primary_breed&orderBy=asc&sortBy2=secondary_breed&orderBy2=asc
This cat is listed in our newspaper today.

Medusa
08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
This really is a wonderful story. As I'm typing this, my blackie Boo is sitting on my lap. He had his annual checkup today and when the vet tech brought him back to me, she said "I just love him! He's so good! I don't want to let him go!" Everyone feels that way about my Boo Bear. He's the man. Why anyone would turn their back on a black cat or a cat of any color is beyond me.

momtomany
08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, 3 of my 11 are solid blacks and I absolutely adore them. Black kitties have always had a special spot in my heart.

softballgirl11
08-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Very nice story. I love my black cat Buffy. She is so sweet and loves attention.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/tallygirl8/IMG_1180.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/tallygirl8/buffy002.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/tallygirl8/ktcat006.jpg

Taz_Zoee
08-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I had my black kitty named Jasper/Jazz/Jasmine.

I think I will print this story and take it to the shelter with me when I go in next weekend. We have the black kitty adoption thing with the Raiders going on right now. And there is one little kitten with only one eye. I wonder if they'd change the name to Jellybean just to try it out. :D It's worth a shot.

Thanks for bumping this thread JALB! :D

carole
08-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Yes i adore my almost black kitty Lexie apart from a little white spec on her chest, i have had four black kitties in my life and each and every one of them has been very special,I love how their coats just gleam, they are considered good luck down under, so i am in for lots of good luck aren't I?

columbine
08-11-2008, 10:27 PM
What a brilliant idea! That's a great story. Dear little black cats - their only "flaw" is that they're so hard to photograph well! I've known many sweet, wonderful black cats. I actually think they're particularly beautiful. Especially when they even have black whiskers; for some reason I think that's very pretty.

They say that if you find a shed black cat whisker, you should pick it up and keep it, and take it with you when you don't want to be noticed. I used to have one, and I'd carry it with me when I was sick and feeling grungely and depleted and didn't want to deal with anybody. I wish I knew where I put it.

Love, Columbine

kitten645
08-12-2008, 01:58 PM
"They say that if you find a shed black cat whisker, you should pick it up and keep it, and take it with you when you don't want to be noticed. I used to have one, and I'd carry it with me when I was sick and feeling grungely and depleted and didn't want to deal with anybody. I wish I knew where I put it."

Well my two boys are all black and I wouldn't have any other color from now on! Calvin is my heart kitty and Hobbes is a big ole softie! I save every whisker I found so if you want one, PM me your address and I'll pop one in the mail! I have so many I must be positively INVISIBLE! :D
I think it's very charming that as they've grown older, some whiskers have gone white!
Claudia

Medusa
08-12-2008, 02:30 PM
What a brilliant idea! That's a great story. Dear little black cats - their only "flaw" is that they're so hard to photograph well! I've known many sweet, wonderful black cats. I actually think they're particularly beautiful. Especially when they even have black whiskers; for some reason I think that's very pretty.

They say that if you find a shed black cat whisker, you should pick it up and keep it, and take it with you when you don't want to be noticed. I used to have one, and I'd carry it with me when I was sick and feeling grungely and depleted and didn't want to deal with anybody. I wish I knew where I put it.

Love, Columbine

And if you want protection, wear a black cat's claw/s somewhere on your body.

TenHouseCats
08-12-2008, 04:27 PM
this is one of those wonderful web-tails that needs to be sent around every once in awhile, for those who haven't seen it yet, and for those of us who've forgotten it. it's such a simple and elegant way to deal with a constant problem....

FirstCat was a black persian mix, and my first persian was black, and the current elder cat is a black persian (hmmm, is there a pattern here?)--i can't imagine not having one of these magical beasts around. but take one out for a walk on a leash some moonlit night with clouds, and watch them appear and disappear, and you'll start to understand where some of the superstitions come from....

MC

Emeraldgreen
08-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm going to send this to my local shelter too! What a GREAT story!
My RB cat Koko was such a sweet little girl. Very petite with a big, brave heart.

DJFyrewolf36
08-13-2008, 10:14 AM
What a wonderful story! I love our "little" black kitty so much (even though she is a PAIN sometimes lol)
I just wish she wasn't so darn hard to see in dark hallways lol. :D

Medusa
08-13-2008, 10:16 AM
What a wonderful story! I love our "little" black kitty so much (even though she is a PAIN sometimes lol)
I just wish she wasn't so darn hard to see in dark hallways lol. :D

Amen to that! I've tripped over my blackie Boo more times than I can count. And forget about closets. If he goes into one, he could be shut in all day. He doesn't meow to let me know he's in there, so I'm sure to take a head count before I leave the house.

JALB
08-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Here are some pictures of a black cat I met at the stables. His name is Blackie. The first picture is him as a kitten, the others are more recent.

horselover365
08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Great story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I luv my black cat to pieces, and am sad that people would pass up a cat that could be perfect just because of their color:(. )My cat's name isn't Jellybean though , her name's China, because apparently her eyes looked like a Chinese person's eyes or something. I didn't name her, but her name is the source of many great nicknames, such as Chi chi, bejing baby, ect.

nancys
08-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Talk about a story that could bring tears to your eyes! Mollie's last litter of kittens had a black one. When I put them on Pet Shop, the people who called or came to get kittens did not want the black one. So I still have the black kitten -- I named her Blackberry.
P.S. I love the name Jellybean :love: :)

GILL
08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
All I know is that we love our black kitties. My wife had Missy before we met. Then came Shadow and now we have Lucky.