PDA

View Full Version : A Story From Work/Opinions?

areias
08-12-2006, 12:10 AM
I wanted to tell a little story. If it is too controversial please move it to the dog house.

I started working at a vet's office as a vet tech about two weeks ago (it's an interesting job, let me tell you). There is a 6 year old chi/dach mix there named chrissy. The dog started losing weight and being lethargic and acting sickly a while back, so her owner brought her in for bloodwork/tests, and it turns out she had diabetes, and is regulated by only 4 units (a very small amount) of insulin a day, and some special food. I was not there at the time, but the owner of chrissy decided that he could not give the dog her shots twice a day. I guess he tried to find her a home and contacted some rescues, but no one would take her. He opted to put her down because he couldn't handle giving the shots. I know that might shock you, I know we are all devoted to our pets here, and most of us would probably do it for our pets if needed. But I guess I can understand that if you are not totally devoted to the dog, and if you simply have the dog through default or something, that maybe you wouldn't want to. And having her put down is better than her not getting shots at all, I would consider that cruel.

But anyways, one of the girls at work decided to take her to save her life, had the owner sign over the dog. However, the girl rarely took her home and chrissy has spent most of her time in the kennels. :( The girl didn't really want the dog, she was just 'saving its life'. She was supposed to contact a rescue about taking her, but she never did. She was relocating to NY, and only is allowed 1 dog, and she already has a brittany spaniel. Her last day was thursday. And chrissy is still in the kennel. My manager said he will probably euthanize her. She has no chance at animal services-special needs dogs are put down. If the rescues won't take her (we've tried), and no one really wants her, then what next? All she does is lay in a concrete kennel all day. I guess it's not really my call, but I was curious as to your opinions on this.
I thought about taking her. The injections aren't a problem, but I don't really want her. She's a sweet dog, but I'm not too fond of her personality, there's just something about her that I don't really like. She dosen't like men, or anyone that is too loud. If you scare her, or do something she isn't sure of, she might bite you. I am putting some money down on a rental on Monday, so I am keeping my eye open for a second dog (zoie is coming with me), but I was considering greyhound adoption or a medium sized adoptable mutt, part of the reason being so someone thinks twice about breaking into my place. I don't think chrissy can even really keep up with zoie-she isn't very playful, and zoie might just annoy her. I do feel like a bad person-looking for a dog, when a dog that is on death row is right in front of me. But I guess it would be better to have her put down than to be in a place where is she isn't necessarily wanted, or if its not a good fit. I suppose it would be a personal decision, but I just wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks for reading my super long post. :o

Sevaede
08-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Maybe there is someone willing to foster and/or sponsor her? That way, maybe she can go to adoption events until somebody falls in love with her.

Here in Shreveport they have a couple different styles of organizations. One is private and they use foster homes and sponsor the animals. Maybe she could get into something like that?

Do you guys have a bulletin board or a log book? At my vet(s) they use them to keep track of lost, found, "wanted", and "selling/giving away", that individuals have.

You are sweet to even think about the girl! :D

Ginger's Mom
08-12-2006, 06:37 AM
I am not sure what rescue organizations you have tried, but I think you would have better luck if you called a breed specific rescue. I found this dachsie rescue in Florida Florida Dachshund Rescue, Inc. (http://www.floridadachshundrescue.com) Even if they cannot help you, they can probably find someone in your area who can. If she is not appropriate for your living situation you shouldn't adopt her (although fostering her or aggressively looking for someone to foster her for a brief period of time may not be a bad idea). She will probably do much better once she gets out of the kennel. But, please call dachshund rescue and enlist their help.

IRescue452
08-12-2006, 09:48 AM
It sounds like she just hasn't had the kind of socialization she needs. You could maybe foster her for a bit and see if a little NILIF training and socialization will bring out a better personality. You might have to use a soft muzzle when working with her for a while, but she doesn't seem beyond what a little training can do by your description. If she doesn't fit in your family you could hopefully get her to a point where you can adopt her out.

areias
08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
You guys are right. I will try with some of the breed specific rescue groups. She is posted on the bulletin board at work. And I suppose that if they make the decison to euthanize her, I should give her a chance and try and take her.

Daisy and Delilah
08-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Oh my goodness!! What a sad story. I feel so bad for this little girl. I already have two Chi's and they're so territorial that they don't get along great with each other. I see you live in Tampa. My brother lives in Tampa in an apartment and he can't have pets. Oh! how I wish I could take her. Please keep us updated on her. I'm very interested to hear the outcome of this story.

Her aggressive behavior is probably because she doesn't feel well and other factors of what she's had to go through. :(