PDA

View Full Version : Something for the bird lovers here... :)

Kirsten
08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
I took a set of photos today of this cute little guy, I saw him (or her) from my office window and just couldn't resist... Just look at this little fluff ball: :)

http://www.catmom.de/pix/fluffy3b.jpg

BTW, I have no idea what kind of bird it is, but I think it's looking still very young. :)

Kirsten

cyber-sibes
08-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Oh my, he is a cutie!!! Great little series of pictures - good job!

Dorothy39
08-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Whew~!!!! So very thank-ful that you had a digital camera , and, knew how to use it well!!!

That sweetie looks like a Sparrow!!! I so want to save one image and use it on my desktop background, May I??

I am such bird lover!!!! Thank You again and again for that post Kristen!!!

Remarkable images!!!! (throws a kiss across the waters) ;)

Kirsten
08-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Dorothy, are you sure it's a sparrow? They usually look different here, not so yellowish. But maybe it's because he's still a youngster. And yes, of course you can save it. :)

Kirsten

Freckles
08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Hopefully, Is the parent nearby?:)
Great series of pictures!

Dorothy39
08-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Thank-You, Thank-You,Thank-You!!!

I'll check him out in one of my "many" books on BIRDS!!! (runs to library) :D

Later Kirsten!!! ;)

Barbara
08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm afraid I only differentiate bigs birds and small birds- but it looks like sparrow to me as well. He's so cute- and adorable pics they are :D

momoffuzzyfaces
08-11-2006, 04:00 PM
What great pics.
He reminds me of a girl posing for pictures but fussing to get her hair "just right". Then finally posing for the last shot.

Like "ok, I'm ready! Oh, wait a minute!!!" (fixes feathers)
"Ok, now I'm ready! Cheese!!!" :D

Kirsten
08-11-2006, 04:08 PM
momoffuzzyfaces, what a sweet interpretation of the story! :)

Freckles, there was another bird around, but it looked different. Maybe it was a parent, eventually they flew away together.

Dorothy, did you find anything in your books? DCo you think this one is still young?

Kirsten

Kirsten
08-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Here's another one of the little cutie: :)

http://www.catmom.de/pix/sparrow3a.jpg

Kirsten

RobiLee
08-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Awesome, Kirsten!

jenluckenbach
08-11-2006, 06:33 PM
They are utterly ADORABLE photos!!!!

Kirsten
08-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks! :)

BTW, I was told today that it's a young female chaffinch.

Kirsten

lizbud
08-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks! :)

BTW, I was told today that it's a young female chaffinch.

Kirsten

Great pictures. I agree it does look like a young bird by the close up
of it's head & chest. A lot of down feathers still present. :) Is the finch
a relative of the sparrow?

Almita
08-12-2006, 05:00 PM
aww what a cutie! its adorable! Great pictures that you took Kristen!

Dorothy39
08-12-2006, 05:09 PM
momoffuzzyfaces, what a sweet interpretation of the story! :)

Freckles, there was another bird around, but it looked different. Maybe it was a parent, eventually they flew away together.

Dorothy, did you find anything in your books? DCo you think this one is still young?

Kirsten
Week-ends--- :eek: I have sooo many resourse books on birds, --- Still reading this thread as well.

Lots of company and interuptions lately, Narrowing the search down , to a Chaffinch!! Thank-You for the educational response Kirsten!!!!! I do enjoy my screen savor as well ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-13-2006, 04:15 AM
These are the best bird pictures I ever saw! Wow Kristen, these are professional pics!!!

Argranade
08-13-2006, 09:17 AM
That would be a Mocking Bird :o well maybe then.

I would also say its a juvenile too becaue of the yellow still near its beak and its colours have not all developed yet it is most likley with the parents still they probably just left it to get the food.

They can mimic the sounds of other birds even humane sounds I have one in my backyard that makes the sound of a car alarm and a firetruck it also gets mad when I make more bird calls at it lol they also ADORE there berries they just love them and also the extra peanut butter I leave out for them in the winter. :)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/white_creatures/Mockingbird-0.jpg

Oh also here are some facts about them but not my info lol.
Only unmated males sing at night.
Mockingbirds often form long-term pair bonds.
Mockingbirds vigorously defend their territory against many other species including dogs, cats and man!
Female mockingbirds often build a new nest while the males finish feeding older fledglings and teaching them to fly.
Scientists have found that female mockingbirds are attracted to males that can make the most different sounds.
Mockingbirds are the State Bird of Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas.
Mockingbirds are thought to raise and lower their wings in order to scare up a meal of insects, frighten snakes and impress their mates.

Kirsten
08-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the info! :)

Well, I'm not even sure if mocking birds live here in Germany. Somebody else (in my photographer's forum) told me now it's a young wagtail. I couldn't believe it first because the adults look completely different, but I googled for it and found a picture of a young wagtail that looked a lot like this one. And it would make sense as I see many wagtails outside my office window!

Here's another picture of the cutie:

http://www.catmom.de/pix/finch2a.jpg

Kirsten

Argranade
08-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Yes I do belive that person was right sorry I thought you where in Canada :o

But they do look very simular at the young age and they both flip there tails up and down.

Here is another pic of a young wagtail.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/white_creatures/m_flava1.jpg

Kirsten
08-13-2006, 10:17 AM
What a cutie! :) Yes, they look very similar, even though the one in your picture looks a bit older already (at least it's not so fluffy anymore). When do wagtails get this typical black & white look? In their second year?

Kirsten

Argranade
08-13-2006, 10:43 AM
I would say thats a diff breed of wagtail probably a yellow wagtail or even a grey there are many forms of these birds.

They start getting there new colours bit by bit each month im not excacly shur how long it would take but I would say by next spring it would have most of its adult feathers.

Here are some pics of a yellow wagtail in diff age's the one you seen may be a female.

Look at the right last pic thats a Rare gray wagtail if your lucky it may be one of them.

Kirsten
08-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the info, and the pictures! These birds are sooo beautiful! The wagtails I see here are white and black, like this one (I apologize for the bad quality of the picture):

http://www.catmom.de/pix/rote_aura.jpg

Check this page (http://www.fotonatur.de/singvoegel/bachstelze-xxmotacillaalba.php?page=1&a=1106650736&suwo=Bachstelze) , here you can see photos of German wagtails ("Bachstelze" in German), and the right picture in the second row shows a young one; I think it looks a lot like mine! :)

Kirsten

Dorothy39
08-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Argranade, I just knew you would beat me to it!!!! ;)

Wagtail it is!!!!! I was so intriged with the photos of that little bird---looking through books, photos, of birds that resemble the coloring, markings!!!!! My week-end was just toooooo hectic !!!

Yes , Kirsten, I do believe that that little bird is a" Bachstelze ". Your link was very imformative!!! Thank-You again.

Oh---- :o

Thank-You , Argranade , You know your birds!!!! ;)