PDA

View Full Version : Betta help needed.

Flatcoatluver
08-10-2006, 08:15 PM
I normally don’t ask for help but I am getting so frustrated. My lovely boy Rudy (vt betta) fins are so torn up. I think I have figured out how. Basically he wraps his whole body around the filter and just floats their. Whenever I go up to his tank to get pictures he swims up to the top hoping I will feed him. I talked to petsmart and they told me to buy a thing called stress coat with the healing power of Aloe Vera. Clcik here for picture (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6784&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030151&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1155258542625&itemNo=4&In=Fish&N=2030068+39&Ne=2) Basically from what I can see that is not helping. I also put some salt in their. My betta is part of the family so I will do anything to keep him as comfortable as possible. I am adding pics of the filter and him. Is there anything I should give him, should I just turn off his filter? :(

First picture the flash kind of washed it out
second picture no flash
third is the filter and he wraps his whole body around it.

Flatcoatluver
08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Bump? Anybody can help?

Roxyluvsme13
08-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Maybe you could use a current killer? :/ I'm not really sure.. Maybe try some Melafix for his fins, it usually helps my bettas.

Zippy
08-11-2006, 03:04 PM
maybe you shouldn't use a filter maybe the current is to strong

binka_nugget
08-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Torn fins can be from biting.. which is usually because of stress. The filter might be stressing him out too much.

What size tank is he in? A filter isn't needed in anything smaller than 5 gallons.. I personally don't put a filter in unless it's 10 gallons or larger. Everything else gets 100% WCs. A filter is supposed to help sustain the "cycle" (ammonia gets eaten by nitrites which get eaten by nitrates). It's very hard to have a steady cycle in anything smaller than 10 gallons.

Flatcoatluver
08-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Torn fins can be from biting.. which is usually because of stress. The filter might be stressing him out too much.

What size tank is he in? A filter isn't needed in anything smaller than 5 gallons.. I personally don't put a filter in unless it's 10 gallons or larger. Everything else gets 100% WCs. A filter is supposed to help sustain the "cycle" (ammonia gets eaten by nitrites which get eaten by nitrates). It's very hard to have a steady cycle in anything smaller than 10 gallons.
Ok I will remover the filter, I bought this tank and it came with the filter. He is in 2.5 gallon tank.

bettatech
08-13-2006, 11:55 PM
My bettas recently had torn fins from other reasons than a filter problem..(I don't have any filters) Melax does help the fins get repaired . you might have to do some math to figure out how much to use in your tank. Since I keep my bettas in tanks with about 1 pint of water each I used 1 mL or 1 cc of melax everyday for 7 days . after that I did the partial water change like the directions on the bottle said. Basically I recommend you use melafix to help your betta get his fins grown back.