PDA

View Full Version : animal cruelty with a positive ending......

yorkster
05-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Animal cruelty is now a felony in Washington state.......as it should be. Of course, it still has to be pretty extreme, but it's a start.

What got things going in this direction is something that happened back in 92 or 93 (not sure exactily).
Warning: this is very sad, but does turn out well in the end.

In Bellevue (a Seattle suburb) there was a petting zoo. The 'star' attraction was a donkey (or burro) named Pasado.
He was much-loved by people, especially kids. He aslo loved people back.
Well one night, 2 teenaged boys and one 20 yr. old, broke into the zoo. They tied Pasado to a tree and beat him with pieces of wood and BB bats. It took him an hour or more to die from what I understand.
The boys (or rather disgusting excuses for human-beings) were caught and tried. There was a huge public outcry for stricter laws for animal cruelty, which eventually came out of this (however it took quite some time)

The other positive that came about after this was: a local news-magazine anchor woman and her husband quit their jobs and formed a animal rescue farm in the area. It takes animals of ALL kinds that need help......cats & dogs, cows, horses, birds and also some wild animals. (It specializes in abused/neglected animlals).
It is named Pasado's Safe Haven, after Pasado the donkey.
If anyone is interested, the web page is at: www.pasadosafehaven.org
It is really quite an uplifting site to view............there are so many animlals they help and re-home if neccessary. Others stay there, as it is many acres of land. And there are so many wonderful volunteers that give their time, including some locally-known celebs.
I have a really difficult time hearing/reading about animal abuse, so I don't get to the animal rescue part of Pet Talk too often, but I can & do look at Pasados site every so often.

IP: Logged