PDA

View Full Version : For those with cats and dogs

caseysmom
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I recently took in my brothers kitty when he died. I previously had a kitty for 14 years but never this particular situation.

I have a large enclosed litter box...Bubba my 12 pound dog goes in there and eats all of the kitty poop, this is just disgusting me. I put the litter box in the big bathtub that nobody uses but then the kitty doesn't use it for some reason.

Any ideas, I do have flap for the litterbox I can try I was just afraid potter wouldn't go in there if the flap was on.

emily_the_spoiled
08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Is the kitty using the litter box without any problems?

I have found that once the cats are comfortable with the litter box, putting a door on doesn't seem to phase them. I would recommend giving it a try and seeing if that will solve the problem.

caseysmom
08-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes he is very good about it, except when I put it in the tub then he peed on the floor because he wasn't comfortable jumping in the tub I guess.

jazzcat
08-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Disney considered the litter box to be an all you can eat buffet - gross! Anyway, the way we stopped her from "snacking" was to use a covered litter box, turn it into a corner so she couldn't get into it but the cats could by jumping and put a 10 pound weight on the top of the lid (otherwise she could pull it off).

I have all my litter boxes in a room in the garage that the cats have access to through a cat door but when I brought R&R home they were too small to go through the cat door so I had to have a box in the house until they were bigger.

caseysmom
08-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Okay jazzcat I think you are on to something. If I put it in a corner so a rubber bodied cat can slither in the dog probably won't be able to...I think I will try that.

kuhio98
08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
We had a similar problem. Sascha (husky mix) got deathly ill. After many (expensive) tests, the vet found that Sascha has pancreatitis. Sascha had been snacking from the cat box (kitty rocca :eek: ) and had a massive infection. We tried a covered cat box (http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_3972_PC_productlist_Nav_206_N_23+1 07+30+5658_sku_930342_familyID_12387.aspx), but the kitties were afraid of it. So, we solved it by moving the cat box into the laundry/utility room. Then we cut a hole in the door and installed a cat flap. Kitties go in and out. Sascha stays out. Everyone's happy and Sascha is healthy. Do you have a room/garage that would work for you?

caseysmom
08-10-2006, 05:11 PM
We could do that but hubby might not like cutting a door, that would need to be last resort.

catmandu
08-10-2006, 05:22 PM
I ahve seen plastic boxes that you can put over thier dishes to keep dogs out.
I bet that would work with thier litter boxes as well.

caseysmom
08-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Gary, the problem is that the dog is just as small as the cat...Its funny because potter chases bubba down the hall and bubba is scared...potters tale is way up and he is having a good old time!

Uabassoon
08-10-2006, 07:26 PM
We have the same problem with Payson, so Alexa made this. We just bought a $7 rubbermaid tub at Target and cut a hole on the top. The cats took to it right away with no problems and Payson can't get into it no matter how hard he tries. He will try to stick his head in the hole and he then whines when his head won't reach all the way in to get the "treats", so he's finally given up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/grybai/DSCF0261.jpg

caseysmom
08-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Oh my gosh Laura you have just saved my marriage! Give Alexa a big hug for that idea, I would have never thought of that!

Pam
08-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Then we cut a hole in the door and installed a cat flap. Kitties go in and out. Sascha stays out. Everyone's happy and Sascha is healthy. Do you have a room/garage that would work for you?

This is what we have too. Hubby put a cat door on the basement door. The kitties eat down there in peace and that is where their *lavatory* :p is. A hole in a door is a small price to pay for peace of mind. :) Hope you can talk your hubby into it.