PDA

View Full Version : I have cancer....the road to recovery

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

slick
08-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Didn't really know how to start this thread so I picked a title that would get right to the point. I rarely post any more especially about myself but with this thread, I'm hoping to get some information from others who may have gone through this.

For 3 weeks in July I battled pneumonia. When I had my follow up chest x-ray, it showed a shadow on my right lung. Two weeks ago my GP called me into her office and told me that further tests were necessary and that it may be cancer. I walked out of her office and back to work in total shock.

On Monday of last week, I had a bronchoscopy and today I got the results of the biopsy. It confirms that it is cancer, in fact it's a typical carcinoid tumour, not really a lung tumour. This is not bad news because it's the type of tumour that is least likely to spread and should be pretty much localized. All I need is sir jury with no chemo or radiation and I expect that they will take out part of my right lung. In doing some research, I found out that it's not related to smoking or second-hand smoke. I'm a non-smoker BTW.

On August 17th I have an appointment for a CT scan and right after that (the same day) I need to meet with a thoracic surgeon. On August 24th I have an appointment for a full PET scan and this will determine if it has spread to other parts of my body or not.

I don't know when the sir jury is going to be....perhaps late September or early October and am told that I'll be hospitalized for about a week and off work for about two months. That seems like a long time to me. You just watch.....I'll be walking the hallway the day after and back to work in a month. ;)

Right now I'm not scared because I'm not alone. I have a great support system, both inside and outside of Pet Talk. This "thing" is not going to break my spirit, nor is it going to bring me down. My attitude is positive and I know I'm going beat this. This is just a "crook" in the road and I'll be back on the right path before you know it. For those of you who don't know, I work for the Canadian Cancer Society and have lots and lots of resources available to me.

So, does anyone know of anyone who has gone through this sir jury? Just curious as to what I can expect. I have a whole page of questions for the surgeon but any advice that you can give me will be very much appreciated. :)

Thanks for listening.

shais_mom
08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
oh my
I am at a loss for words Slick - I can't imagine how you feel.
Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

dukedogsmom
08-10-2006, 12:11 AM
I am so sorry! There's not a lot we can say or do except be there for you. And you're approaching and dealing with it great. The more positive attitude, the better you will do. I'm so glad you're not going to let it defeat you. We won't let it take you. Pm me if you ever need to talk. I'll give you my number there. I pray is doesn't spread further. I wish you all the best and keep us updated.

I_luv_rusty
08-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm so sorry! Wow, I can't even imagine how you feel right now. I hope you are OK, you'll be in my thoughts.

Reachoutrescue
08-10-2006, 12:15 AM
GOOD LUCK TO YOU. I AM SURE IT WILL WORK OUT. YOU WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS.

wolfsoul
08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Oh Slick! I can hardly believe it. I really wish I knew what to say -- you know you always have my support and that I love you. I know you'll get through this, and though it may seem weird to say, you are so lucky that it isn't a really bad kind of cancer, and SO lucky that your job is what it is and to have all of those resources available to you. I'll pray for you and I'm hoping to be in the Lower Mainland later this year so maybe I can even come and visit you. I'm glad to see you can keep your spirits up and be optimistic. xoxo

caseysmom
08-10-2006, 12:35 AM
They are making great strides with cancer. I am hoping for the best for you through all of this and I am glad you have a good support system.

zoomer
08-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Oh my... god. I saw this thread and it just... blew me away. I am soooo sorry. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. My heart is for you, slick. God will take care of it. Just believe, that's all you've got to do :)

pnance
08-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Oh Slick I couldn't believe it when I read this. I can't even imagine what your going through, but you definately have the right attitude and I know you can beat this. A good friend of mine is a thoracic surgeon if you'd like some of those questions answered a little earlier, I can definately relay them and see what she says, just PM me, in fact if there's anything I can do please let me know. {HUGS}

Cinder & Smoke
08-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Hi God ~

Guess You prolly heard bout Miz Slick an her "thing", dint'cha?

This "thing" is not going to break my spirit, nor is it going to bring me down.

My attitude is positive and I know I'm going beat this.

We're sendin Prayers fur her Speedie Recovery -
anna *wish* that You help her KEEP the "I can BEAT this" SPIRIT!

Miz Slick has a Lotta Places ta GO, an People to SEE ...
we're Prayin this duzint slow up those plans.

Oh, an send her our LOVE, God!

Thankx!
/s/ the Prayer Pups anna Purrayer KAT

binka_nugget
08-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Aw Slick I'm at a loss for words.. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'll be praying for you. :)

gini
08-10-2006, 01:14 AM
My dear friend - how very brave of you to post this especially when your nature is to be very private about your own life.

I cannot tell you how glad that I am that you have shared this will all of Pet Talk. When all of the members see this thread - and respond, then you will get a true idea of how well loved you are and respected here on Pet Talk.

Slick, you have places to go - and things to see - and you haven't done them yet.............BUT YOU WILL!

I think we talked last night about a "little swim" you want to take - and it will be my personal mission to make sure that you get to do that.

Just know that you are well loved and supported and prayed for by many.

If you see a glow down south from you - it is my nightly candle that I will burn for you while I pray for you.

xxoo me

Nomilynn
08-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Please please please make sure you ask if you need anything at all. I will be there for you in a heartbeat.

hugs and prayers!

captain
08-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Slick,
You have the right mental attitude, and you will beat this thing!!!

I cannot offer you any advice on THIS specific type of cancer, but I am currently going through Gastrointestinal Cancer with my Dad ..........
He has the right mental attitude NOW, but for awhile he did not. The treatment is complete, and he goes for another scan in about 2 weeks. They will decide then whether he needs to have an operation or not ..... he has been through the Chemo and Radiation already

I have done alot of reading, and there is this website that has given me lots of information .... I hope it will help answer questions you may have ....

NCI Cancer Site (http://www.cancer.gov/)

Slick, please know that my thoughts are with you. I wish I could be there to hold your hand, and to listen .............

{{{hugs}}}
Michelle

Barbara
08-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Slick- you have the absolutely right attitude: you can beat it :)

If you are like me it may help you to consider it as a project that has to be managed in a good way ;) Good thing in projects: they have a start and they have an end when they will be successfully completed.

My eye doctor (the one who had diagnosed my brain tumor) had something similar some years ago. He was a non-smoker as well and then he developed a sort of cancer and lost one lung. It's now more than 5 years and he is doing very well.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Killearn Kitties
08-10-2006, 03:16 AM
Where are those £99 flights to Vancouver when you need them???

I don't have any knowledge of that particular type of cancer, but I do know people who have been treated for other types, and I know that the right mental attitude makes the process so much more bearable.

Slick, you will come through this, and we will be with you.

{{{{loads of hugs}}}}

Miss Z
08-10-2006, 03:59 AM
Slick, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It can't be easy to walk out from a scan and being told you have cancer, but from your posts I can tell what a strong person you are, and you are spot on, you WILL beat it. Please keep us updated if you can, we are all here for you and I sincerely hope this traumatic experience is over soon. ((hugs)).

Pawsitive Thinking
08-10-2006, 04:19 AM
I am sorry to read your news and wish you all the luck in the world in your battle against cancer. PT will be with you all the way!!

jenluckenbach
08-10-2006, 05:10 AM
{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

I have no info for you but I have tons of prayers.

chocolatepuppy
08-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Prayers headed your way Slick.

RobiLee
08-10-2006, 05:45 AM
I'm sitting here in tears, Slick. I know that isn't what you want to hear right now, but I just can't help it. I read your post in another thread about how you now knew what "live like you were dying" meant and I knew something was going on with you. I absolutely hate this dreaded disease and I hate that it is touching you. You were so supportive when I was going through my cancer and now I hope that I can return that kindness to you.

I know that everything is going to be ok for you, Slick. You just make sure you keep up that positive attitude, because that is going to carry you through this. We are all here and supporting you and will be reaching out and holding your hand across the miles. I'm glad to hear that you will be having a PET scan done. I know that it will be able to help see alot of what is going on in your body.

Stay strong and Stay Postive!

{{HUGS}}

Ginger's Mom
08-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Oh Slick, I am so sorry to read this post. I am sure that you can beat this and continue to enjoy your life. I am sending out many many prayers, positive thoughts, and prayers for you.

lbaker
08-10-2006, 06:21 AM
This is for you, my dear sister ~

"So just call on me sister, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand
We all need somebody to lean on

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

Lean on me... "

Pam
08-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Slick, I am so shaken to read this. You know you will have the support of countless people here who will be thinking of and praying for you. Please try and maintain that positive attitude as you go through the surgery and treatment as it has been proven that a positive mental outlook helps enormously in the healing process. I will be so glad (as will millions of others) when a cure is found for this horrible disease. I have always loved Tim McGraw's song, *Live Like you were Dying* and now it will have a special meaning as I shall think of you each time I hear it.* ((((hugs))))

Daisy and Delilah
08-10-2006, 07:20 AM
OMG! I'm so sorry to hear this news Slick. You've come to the right place and chosen the right group to talk to about this. We're all with you sweetie and we'll be here for you through all that you have to go through. Keep your attitude positive and you can conquer all things. {{{{HUGS}}}}

sasvermont
08-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Slick, I, too, have had cancer and have gone through treaments galore. It has been over 15 years now..... And I am fine.

Get the troops ready for war and go for it. You can do it! You have the right attitude and conviction.

We will all be thinking of you for months to come....and then some.....

Keep us posted on your progress.

((((((((((((((Slick)))))))))))))))))))

L,
Sas and her many campers

Alysser
08-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Slick,
I'm so sorry to hear this news. My mom just fought cancer, but I don't know how you must feel, as I have never had it. You can beat it! Just keep up the right attitude like you are already! Good luck and (((HUGS))). You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

smokey the elder
08-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks for having the courage to share this with us. The patient's positive attitude is an ally for treatment that can't be measured, but is very powerful indeed. You need go no further than Lance Armstrong to believe this! Good luck.

catnapper
08-10-2006, 08:03 AM
What a shocking stream of events! I didn't even know you were cick in the first place and now to hear about the cancer! It sounds as if you have one wonderful attidude and your positive outlook thats going to be as successful in your full recovery as the medical treatment.

((hugs))

k9krazee
08-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Slick, I'll be thinking of you ((((Hugs))))

Logan
08-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Slick, I know this is devastating news for you, someone who runs hard at work and play. The worst part is going to be making yourself sit still and letting other people help you!!!

You can count on our prayers!!!!!

Love,
Logan

Danegirl2208
08-10-2006, 08:16 AM
oh no..im at a loss of words..i am so sorry.. please stay strong and stay positve..i will definatly keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Russian Blue
08-10-2006, 08:42 AM
I cannot tell you how glad that I am that you have shared this will all of Pet Talk. When all of the members see this thread - and respond, then you will get a true idea of how well loved you are and respected here on Pet Talk.

Just know that you are well loved and supported and prayed for by many.

((((( Slick )))))

Unfortunately, I've had cancer run through my family and friends, but not the same one that you are currently dealing with. My father had colon cancer and my mother had cervical cancer. Rob has two friends who are currently battling this disease and we went to a funeral last month for Rob's mentor who passed away from his battle. :( Just looking at the odds, I wouldn't be surprised if I will be diagnosed in the coming years because of my genes. :(

From everything I have read and seen.....the state of your inner spirit is as important as the chemo/surgery when dealing with cancer. It will flip your life upside down. But if you get a good support network and focus on fighting, it WILL make a huge difference in the battle and recovery. I'm not sure if you're into it, but alternatives such as meditation will also help alleviate the stress.

Life has a funny way of throwing in a twist and turn every so often. Just focus on the path in front of you & you will navigate this 'twist' just fine. If you need positive support or just a lift, you have my email.

Queen of Poop
08-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I've no experience with this type of cancer so I'm afraid I cannot provide any help in that regard. I am impressed with your attitude and believe if you can maintain it you will pull thru this with flying colors and be cancer free very soon. I will pray for you every day and ask my fur angels to do what they can. In fact, I'm reading this on August 10th. Today is 2 years since my dear ferret Trouble passed from his cancer. I will ask him to be your special guardian fur angel. Please take care.

Catty1
08-10-2006, 08:53 AM
HUGS!

I will be out there in a few weeks - and you and I can beat up on this thing!

Good food ALWAYS helps!

Keep the faith!

hugs
Catty1

joanofark
08-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm so sorry, slick, I know you'll get through it!! Keep us updated!! You KNOW you'll ALWAYS be loved here on PT. :)

Karen
08-10-2006, 09:13 AM
I know many cancer survivors, but none with that kind, never knew anyone with that kind of lung cancer. Attitude is right, and you know who with supervising your CAT-scan, from her spot at the Rainbow Bridge, and your PET scan, too, of course!

You will be in our prayers, for patience, and healing and courage.

Dorothy39
08-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Slick--

Your stamina , survival mechinism , spirit, inner beauty, ----- are attributes that will sustain you . I will be Thinking of You and Praying that you will just get this "Thing" out!!!! I was told, back in 1994, that I had a 3 cm tumor in my right ovary, however, there was no cancer found . I called the tumor, "The Thing" as well.( I hate hospitals, scans, bloodwork :eek: )

You are teaching us how to "meet" any challenge we are faced with, by coming forward and communicating with a strong and steadfast approach!!!

You are , well, AWESOME!!!!

God Bless You !!!!! I am positive that you will pull through, and you'll tell others your story. Please keep us posted.

Vela
08-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Things like that are never something anyone wants to hear. I am really sorry that you have cancer but I hope they caught it early. They are making more strides every day in treatments so I hope things work out okay. Prayers for you that you will beat this and have a clean bill of health. As long as you never give up there are always things to try. God bless.

Corinna
08-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Slick , You are half way through it with your addittude . Having gone through all the yucky stuff with my hubbys cancer (radiation and sirjury) . It is positiveness that gets you healed the fastest . Some days it may seen like a cloud over you but just ask Speckles to blow them away for you.
As with any surjury the hardest thing is that first walk if you can do it as soon as you can it is the better. After 8 hours of surjury they didn't get him up soon enough and had a slight probem with fluid in his lung. But if you get up and moving in the first 12 hours after waking up it's best. Make sure you use the pain meds at first so you can move , then start weaning your self off of them . But use them to get mobile , you will be back in a month . :)
If you need any questions answered hubby will gladly talk to you. He's helped a lot of very frightened construction guys thru their surjurys.
Prayers and hugs from Montana

pitc9
08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
I wish to you all the strength and positive vibes in the world!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
To say I'm shocked would be a total understatement!!! I know you've been unusually quiet lately, but I thought it was that you were still recovering from the pneumonia. Once again it's amazing how blessings come in such hidden packages - had you not gotten pneumonia, you wouldn't have had lung x-rays done and the "shadow" would have gone undetected.....probably until it was too late. I'm SO glad it appears this was discovered earlier rather than later, and I'm also SO glad that you work where you do! ;)

I know you will be up and about very shortly after the surgery. My doctor told me I'd be off work for two weeks after mine. I had the surgery on Friday and was back to work the next Tuesday for a short period and back to work full-time in a week.

The thing you need to remember is to take it easy and don't push yourself. Call on neighbors and nearby friends to help - don't think you can do this all on your own. You remind me of my mother in that you get much more enjoyment out of helping others that having others do for you. When she was in the hospital and the nurses came to visit, they ended up talking more about the nurse and what was going on in her life rather than how my mother was feeling. I can picture you doing the same thing, and I can picture you walking the halls - in your fashionable hospital gown no less - checking in on other patients and making sure their spirits are up. And I say, if that helps you to feel better then go for it....just don't push it and remember to take care of yourself first.

Everyone in our house will have fingers and paws crossed and many good thoughts and prayers will be flying your way that everything goes well, the cancer hasn't spread, they get it all the first time and you have a full and speedy recovery.

Please keep us updated on sir-jury dates, places, etc. Hopefully the hospital will have and email thingy like they did for Kelly so we can inundate you with good thoughts while you're recuperating.

I know you are strong and you will beat this, but please don't hesitate to reach out - we'll be here for you. :)

ramanth
08-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I wonder if the surgery is similar to what Andy went through when they had to repair his right lung. There was a possibility of having part of the lung removed, but in the end, they didn't.

I'm thinking of you Slick. I'm awed and amazed at your positive attitude. You will beat this! :) *HUGS*

jazzcat
08-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Slick, you have a great attitude and that is half the battle! My mother battled and won over breast cancer and my Dad did the same with prostate cancer.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

harpmom
08-10-2006, 10:03 AM
I am usually a lurker and not a poster, but I felt I had to respond to this thread. My father has had a carcinoid tumor in his abdomen for a long time. It was discovered, like yours, serendipitously, when he had an MRI for kidney stones. That was about ten years ago and they told him then that he had probably had it for ten or twelve years before that.

He did have surgery about 6 years ago, performed by a carcinoid specialist in New Orleans and has done well since. He takes an injection (I'm sorry I can't tell you what) every three months that helps to keep the carcinoid from growing. Other than that, his only symptoms are related to old age (he's 77 now) and to the fact that they took some 12 feet of his small intestine when they did his surgery.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I pray to God that you do well through it.

lv4dogs
08-10-2006, 10:23 AM
You'll be in my thoughts & prayers. I know it must be scary but you've got the right attitude. Keep it up, you WILL beat this! {{{hugs}}}

JenBKR
08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I am so sorry to hear about this. ((((hugs)))) I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

mruffruff
08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
What a shock for you!

As you can see, there are already a lot of PTers praying for you. And we will be right here for you until you get totally well.

If there is anything you need, just ask.

Lots of HUGS!!!

Mary

Edwina's Secretary
08-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Dear natal sister.....my thoughts are with you....

slick
08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm very touched by all of your posts and well wishes and for those close to me, please forgive me for not including you during these last two weeks. I just needed to find out what path I am taking before passing on any information. There was just too many "what ifs".

I had to have a real belly laugh this morning. I guess I'll have to shave my legs and pits just before going into the hospital....just in case I get a warm sponge bath from a hunky intern. :D :D

Harpmom: Thank you so much for posting such an encouraging story. I'll have to ask the surgeon about those injections. My prayers going out for your Dad.

Debbie: One of the signs of this type of cancer is recurring pneumonia and if you recall, I was sick in March too.

Cataholic
08-10-2006, 11:13 AM
I cannot type too much right now. You will be in my every prayer. :(

petslover
08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Slick.. I am so very sorry to hear about your situation. It can't be easy. but wow... You are one strong lady.. and that attitude will help you beat this nasty "thing". I will be praying for you every night. Just keep up the great attitude.

My Peanuts
08-10-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. You sound like you have a great attitude towards this. Good luck and my prayers are with you.

BOBS DAD
08-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Don't have advice, but I am totally sure that you are going to get a ton of good stuff from the folks here at PT. Just wanted you to know that my prayers are with you and that you know you will always have the support of we here at PT.

P.S. You seem to have a "great attitude" and from anyone/everyone I know who has gone through this - that is the singlemost important thing you have going for you. Good luck and God Bless.

Dan

lizbud
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Slick, I'm so glad the prognosis for this type of disease is very good.
Sending very best wishes & positive vibes your way.Thank you so much
for sharing this burden with friends. We are all with you in spirit.Big hugs(HUGS)Liz & the furkids. :)

rg_girlca
08-10-2006, 12:41 PM
I am so sorry to hear this terrible news Slick.

I had stage 4 Uterian Cancer and just told my doc, to do what he had to do to get me well, as I was not ready to go just yet. He did and that was 12 years ago. It does help to have a positive attitude.

You can beat this and I pray will all my might that it hasn't spread.

We are all here for you and will be holding your hand every step of the way.

((((((HUGS))))))

kuhio98
08-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Crap! Why does crappy things like this happen to such wonderful people? Sometimes I really have to wonder what they're thinking "up there". I have absolutely no doubt that you will recover completely. Your attitude is amazing. And yes, you'll probably have moments of doubt and down days, but you'll have lots of PT support and purr therapy to pull you through. If you need anything ~ I mean anything ~ please let us know.

wolflady
08-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Oh my gosh, slick, I'm glad I've been lurking a bit on PT the last couple of days, or I might have missed this thread. I'm glad that you are taking a positive attitude towards this and I know it will help you to beat it. Attitude really is everything, and I'm so happy you have great support system! Please know that I too, am here for you even though I may not be on PT very often. You can always ping me offline or call anytime you need to.

**hugs**

Randi
08-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Slick, I saw this thread at work, but was not able to respond there. I’m feeling very sad to hear that you’re ill. :( ... but, I'm glad the prognosis for the disease is good.

You keep up your positive attitude my friend, and you WILL beat this!! I will be with you every step of the way! Just ask if there’s anything I can do!!

Where are those £99 flights to Vancouver when you need them???
Yes, where are they??

As others have mentioned, you have a lot of things to do yet, and places to see! I think I know what Gini means with “a little swim” and I’ll be here to help your plan come true. ;) Slick, you are such a wonderful person, and I’m honored you came down to Laguna Niguel last summer, so we could get to know each other better. I’m looking forward to see you again! :)

You have been pushing yourself too hard at work, don't ever do it again!! It's time to look after yourself!

I'm feeling positive that the operation will be a piece of cake, but ...

The worst part is going to be making yourself sit still and letting other people help you!!!
You are always the first one to comfort others and give support, now, it's your turn to recieve. Please, at least consider it! ;)

I'm going to send you recipees, and I'll try to call you over the weekend.

Sending all my love and best thoughts that the operation will be succesful and you’ll have a full recovery - Fister sends lots of purrs and headbumpies.

(((((hugs)))))
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Photoshop/Heart-lille.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Photoshop/Heart-lille.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Photoshop/Heart-lille.jpg

Anita Cholaine
08-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm a little bit in shock right now... I'm so sorry :(
I know you'll get through all this (((((hugs))))) I really admire your attitude, it's good to know that you're not scared and not alone (and it's even better that you know this)

Husky_mom
08-10-2006, 01:32 PM
I´m in totaol shock here, but be sure I am here for you ALWAYS.......adn just keep that attitude adn highspirit through all of the process, YOU´LL BE FINE.....and we will be here for you and sending you our best wishes for a fully recovery adn you´ll be in our thoughts every day.........take care of yourself.........and let´s call some firemen too ;) .....you and a hunky nurse hmmm.......HOT!! LOL

be strong and even if I am not so close to you I do care about you, sorry I don´t have advice on he subject but no mater what I´m here for support....((HUGS)).....

zippy-kat
08-10-2006, 01:49 PM
It's taken me some time to think of the right words to say and I'm still not sure I've found them.

There are actually several blessings here even though they seem to be "hidden" by the terror that mere word (cancer) instills. As T&P's Mom said, if there ever was a time to be thankful for pneumonia, now is it. Considering the circumstances, you work in one of the best places possible!! Too, there's a favorable prognosis and I'm sure that you'll be on the mend soon.

IFROG and UFROG... thus you know, everything happens for a reason and there'll be nothing given to you that you can't handle. {{hugs}}

Catsnclay
08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
I guess I'll have to shave my legs and pits just before going into the hospital....just in case I get a warm sponge bath from a hunky intern. :D :D

:D :D :D I sure HOPE you do!! Now, wouldn't that be fun?! :D

Love your attitude already. Keep your chin up, and remember we will always be here for you, no matter what.

All fingers & paws are crossed over here for your speedy recovery. Good luck!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Aw, Sweetie, you aren't alone and we will be with you every step of the way!!!

I know how frightening the word cancer is. My dad had a rare type. He was only the 13th person in the US to have that kind and the only one to survive it. One of my aunts had two different types of cancer and beat them both.

Best advice I can give you is eat as well as possible. Lots of good healthy food, laugh as much as possible, cuddle with Max until his eyes pop, and know that we love you and are here for you.

Oh, and extra guardian angels are being put on call to be with you, especially during your surgery and hospital stay!!!

*by the way, I mailed your bd card this morning before I saw this. I wanted to make sure you got it before your bd this year*

gini
08-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi you - popping briefly onto this thread to give you my Thursday support.

Yes, Connie, a host of angels - what a beautiful thought.

Lord, Slick, you are already thinking about a "hunk of an intern"..............
wouldn't you know? Shave your legs? Well, thank goodness you won't be doing that at my house!! :D

You know, I feel as though this thread will be the largest in number of replies in the history of Pet Talk as we keep in daily touch with you and offer you our prayers and love.

xxoo me

popcornbird
08-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Oh Slick. I'm at such a loss of words. :( Know that you will be in my prayers everyday, and I just know God will help you pull through this. May He restore your health completely, and help you keep up with this strong attitude, that will help you pass through every single day. The tiels will be sending extra prayers for their very favorite Canadian auntie too.

{{{hugs}}}

jenluckenbach
08-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Slick, could you PM me your email?? :o I keep losing those things. :o

anna_66
08-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Slick,

Wow, what can I say? I seen the title of the thread and I thought no...it must be something else, but I'm sorry to see it's not.
I never know what to say at times like these, "I'm sorry" just doesn't seem right. Especially for a woman like you. You have such a great attitude and prospective on the future I know that this is only going to be a small bump in the road for you.
So let me say dear friend that you will be in my thoughts and prayers and if there is anything at all I can do for you...just let me know:)

Lots of healing prayers coming your way.

(((HUGS)))
Anna

Zippy
I am so sorry(((HUGS)))
I will keep you in my prayers.

sirrahbed
oh...this post rather took my breath away.

(((HUGS)))) to you slick - gini is so right that you are loved and supported by so many folks here (even some you probably have never heard from)

As others have already said - your attitude is so very strong and positive - and I will pray that it stays this way most of the time while you fight your cancer...

Thank you for posting your very personal news and I feel very sure that others will be helped and strengthened by it also.

more (((HUGS)))) :)

Kfamr
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Slick,

While I've never REALLY spoken to you I have always admired you. In my eyes you have always been a very strong & intelligent woman. I am without words and cannot express how shocking this thread is. I read this thread when you first created it and was just at loss of words, but all I could think of is how incredibly optimistic you are about this.

Cancer is a very scary thing.. but I know you will be strong.

{HUGS} to you and I will be thinking of you. Feel free to let me know if you need anything.

Kay

Rachel
08-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Please add my name to those of your many admirers and another who is saddened that this challenge is yours to bear. Of course it's just not fair. I hope that your work gives you an *in* on who will be doing your Sir Jury, and may he/she be the best and the brightest.

Cincy'sMom
08-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Slick, I'm so sorry to hear this news, but as so many others have said, attitude is a huge part of fighting this disease. You have such a great outlook, it is a battle you will win!! And all of us at PT will be here helping you fight!

I have been subtly pushing a couple of our sales guys that they need to take me on the road with them to visit some potential lasrge clients. Two are in the Seattle area, and one in Vancouver. Perhaps, I need to push a little harder....

moosmom
08-10-2006, 05:18 PM
OMG Slick, I'm speechless. :( You are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong.

((((((HUGS))))))

Donna

lbaker
08-10-2006, 05:19 PM
OK, enough of this... crying makes ones eyes look all funny and my eyes are leaking for you, for the love I'm feeling from this thread to you... for a ka-zillion things I'm lucky about ~ one of those things is you. *but you know that* ;)

RedHedd
08-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Slick, my thoughts and prayers go out to you. Hearing the word "Cancer" does give one pause and it may feel like you have to make bazillion decisions immediately - been there, done that. I'm a breast cancer survivor. The love and support is just oozing from this thread and will carry you through this difficult time. A positive attitude really DOES have an effect on one's recovery and healing time. I was back at work full time within in a month of my mastectomy - heck, I was called into meetings less than a week after my surgery and came into the office with surgical drains in my body :rolleyes:

Shave your legs for that hunky intern! :D

Cookiebaker
08-10-2006, 07:19 PM
I read this at work today, and I couldn't even finish reading it, it was too much. Somehow, I thought that here in the magic of PT'ville, things like this weren't supposed to happen. :(

Slick, we love you, and we are keeping you in our prayers, and close in our thoughts. Please do let us know if there is anything that we can do to make it easier for you.

AbbyMom
08-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Warm thoughts, hugs, and prayers for YOU.

dukedogsmom
08-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Checking in to say I was thinking about you. Phone call and pm offer still stands. Anything to help you make it through this.

G535
08-10-2006, 08:45 PM
With your positive attitude of course you're going to beat it! :)

NoahsMommy
08-10-2006, 08:51 PM
My dearest Slick...

Make sure you shave those legs and pits and get a nice mani/pedi (manicue/pedicure) because you haven't even touched the surface of ALL the hotties the hospital has, honey!! Be on the lookout for:

Hunky Male Nurses!! (they're not only cute, but sooooo sweet and such good caretakers! I've never had a more sensitive nurse, ever!)

Super Cute Radiology Techs....mmmm, mmmm (must be the radiation, they all seem to be hot!)

Dr. Mc Dreamies (you'll have your surgeon, your anesthesiologist, hot interns helping, more male surgical nurses) they're going to be everywhere!!

Volunteer Male Nurse's Aides....the cute, younger ones. They'll check your blood pressure, bring you flowers and check to make sure you're OK. So cute!!

And even if he's not hunky or dreamy, he's your best friend in surgery: YOUR ANESTHESIOLOGIST!!! (ie: the man with the drugs!! ;) ) This man watches every move you make...literally. He stares at you and your vitals throughout your procedure and makes sure you're comfortable. When you awake, he'll give you some meds to calm you and help the pain go far, far, far AWAY. Every Anesthesiologist I've ever had has been wonderful, very kind, informative and gentle.

Transport Dudes...are usually EMTs and will transport patients in the hospital to another part of the hospital or another location for tests, etc. These guys MUST have a requirement for hiring that they HAVE to be HOT...or no job!!

So, yea, I'd say some shaving is in order. ;)

All joking aside, you're attitude is wonderful. I'm sure you'll find through speaking with survivors that attitude is an overlooked medicine and works very well. Please allow your PT family to keep you up in our prayers.

You are wonderful, Slick, we're blessed with your love and friendship, sweetie pie. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all this, but am sooo glad you caught it so soon and are on the way to getting "that thing" outta our Slick!!! (GET OUT!!)

Please, please, please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do for you, OK?? I know you're usually the one that "takes care of" and doesn't "get taken care of", but at times like these, roles need to reverse. OK?? Please let your PT Family know what we can do for you.

You'll remain in my prayers, always. I just know that this "thing" is going to get the heck outta here, and leave you better then ever.

Love you LOTS,
Kelly, Noah, Basie, Micah, Phoebe & Jonah

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((SLICK)))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Chica
08-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi Slick,I kinda know how you feel, but your attitude is wonderfull!I have had breast cancer. And I am a surviver!!!!!It was 11 years ago. I had the tumor removed and it didn't spread.I had to go through chemo therapy and radiation. I think of those treatments as an insurance policy that the cancer would be completely killed in my body. :) ;) I have been doing fine ever since.I also had a positive attitude, just like you!!!You are in my prayers!!!!!

sisterdog
08-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Slick,
I usually lurk and don't post, but I need to respond to this thread. I have gotten to "know" you as a strong, intelligent woman with a great sense of humor, and regret you must go through this. I, too am an 11-year survivor of breast cancer, and I know that attitude can make a crucial difference. Your positive attitude tells me you will be a survivor, too. If you get a chance, read Bernie Siegal's books - he writes a lot about attitude and survivorship. Know also that your PT family is here for you when you need us - don't think you have to tackle this all alone. Take care...you will be in my thoughts.

Catty1
08-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Okay, Slick - now that you have a suggested list of where to find all the hotties at the hospital, you have a lot of OUR names to put on the visitor's list! :D

Of course - the fellows have to be cat-crazy. Or just crazy and easily persuaded! :p

HUGS!

slick
08-10-2006, 11:25 PM
I wish I had time to respond to each and every one of you. I truly am overwhelmed by the response I've gotten as I've always felt that I'm not one of the popular ones here.

I've just spent some time reading this thread and taking in all of your love and concern. Thank you for the links, the book suggestion and most of all, for sharing some of your survival stories. Truly they have inspired me and even though I always felt that I will be a survivor, your thoughts have given me a new strength I didn't even know I had.

It's funny, but facing something like this does force you to look at your own mortality and it really does change your outlook. I was visiting someone last night and she was complaining that the mail slot in her new screen door was put in crooked. The first thing I said to her was "don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff". I've always tried to live by that but even more so now.

You know what scares me the most???
1. Hospital food. I've told my coworkers that if they want to visit me, bring some good stuff, like dim sum or sushi or something else mouth-watering.
2. Those hospital gowns. I know I'll have to wear it for the first couple of days but I'm going to ask if my Mom can bring me my own nightshirt. At least it will cover up my "XXL backside". :D
3. Being put in a room with other patients. Hey, I've been sleeping alone for 10+ Years and I don't look forward to hearing someone else's snoring in the same room or someone else hearing me fart in my sleep...then again, maybe I snore???? :D :D

I'm going to take a page out of Andy's book and have my slippers brought up to me. They are white cat slippers with a long tail. :D

Kelly, Sis: your post had me rolling in the aisles. I know that your experience is in the States....I just hope that Canada has the same caliber of health care workers. Thank you so much for the belly laughs.

Phred: many thanks to the Prayer Pups. I'll see you at Findlay next year. ;)

I think my op will be in the Vancouver General Hospital and unfortunately it doesn't have any email. I'll have to teach my Mom how to dial long distance :rolleyes: and she will call Gini right after the sir jury is over and Gini can post an update.

That's it for now. I love you all and Max sends each of you some headbumpies and purrs.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

shais_mom
08-10-2006, 11:35 PM
My dearest Slick...

Super Cute Radiology Techs....mmmm, mmmm (must be the radiation, they all seem to be hot!)
Thanks I like to think we are too! :D;)

All joking aside, you're attitude is wonderful.

Agreed.
God and PetTalk will be with you every step of the way Slick.

trayi52
08-10-2006, 11:49 PM
What shocking news to hear! Slick, I am praying for you, please God help Slick get well, and feel better really soon. I don't want to see you have to go through this at all, but if you do, may it be easy on you, and you go through no pain when you have your surgery.

Slick, you know you are a very loved person here at Pet Talk, if you need anything at all, just let me know. You can pm me and I will give you my phone number and we can talk.

Willie :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Slick, I'm just now seeing this thread and I'm also in total shock.:( You have a wonderful attitude and are a very strong woman so I know that you can beat this. You have my full support, prayers, positive thoughts, all the cyber hugs you want. I'm so glad that you decided to share this with us because no one should have to go through this alone. I'm also glad to hear that you have a wonderful support system at home and you also have one here at PT too. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Please take care.((((HUGS))))

RICHARD
08-11-2006, 12:40 AM

You know what scares me the most???
1. Hospital food. I've told my coworkers that if they want to visit me, bring some good stuff, like dim sum or sushi or something else mouth-watering.
2. Those hospital gowns. I know I'll have to wear it for the first couple of days but I'm going to ask if my Mom can bring me my own nightshirt. At least it will cover up my "XXL backside". :D
3. Being put in a room with other patients. Hey, I've been sleeping alone for 10+ Years and I don't look forward to hearing someone else's snoring in the same room or someone else hearing me fart in my sleep...then again, maybe I snore???? :D :D

1) Horse Sh-T

30 years of cafeteria food and look at me..

On second thought keep your eyes closed.

2) Slick,

The reason they split up the back is to let you know you have to pull it closed.
But when I was in the hospital, the sound of the wind blowing up the canyon was kinda eerie.

3) A good "poofer" is a great ice breaker.....Hey, whatcha here for?

Remember, a good poof, snore and a nice bowl o'hospital jello ROCK!

----------------------------
You'll kick this thing in the batonga wongas and we'll put your arse on a plane and a bicycle next summer.

Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France Six times with no testicles.

You should win it at least 9.

Love you!

And remember to look for the Head Nurse....... :confused: ;) :eek:

manda_moo87
08-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Slick, I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Squeekers sends head bumpies. :)

I'll be in Vancouver next week, maybe I can pop over and visit.

beeniesmom
08-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Slick, What horrible news. I admire your attitude! You will get through this.
Beenie and Frankie send lots of kisses and I will be praying for you.

slick
08-11-2006, 10:02 AM
I'll be in Vancouver next week, maybe I can pop over and visit. Amanada, I would love nothing better but don't forget it's a work week for me. I won't be able to meet on the 15th or the 17th but the rest of the week is fine. You still have all my contact info, including work number?

Catty, I see you mentioned coming into the town as well. Did I give you my work contact info?

Cincy's Mom, Seattle or Vancouver? Push for it, OK? Would love to see you again.

3) A good "poofer" is a great ice breaker.....Hey, whatcha here for? :D :D :D Richard, I can always count on you to make me laugh. God I love you for that!! Say, why don't you come up and visit me??? I need someone to hold my gown together. :D :D

I just thought of two other scary things:
- getting a catheter put in (ouch!!!)
- using the toilet that other patients have used (up here there are 3 people to a room)

I know, I know, don't sweat the small stuff but these things scare me more than the surgery. :rolleyes: :p None of this will cost me anything except the hopsital stay and I don't know if I can get a private room or how much that will set me back...but I'm going to inquire about it anyway. Actually, I don't even know if there is such a thing as a private room in VGH.

Happy Friday everyone and thumbs up for a happy and productive day! Meet me over at the bar we'll celebrate. :D

dukedogsmom
08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Happy Friday to you! We'll all help you get through this. I hope you have a beautiful day.

emily_the_spoiled
08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Hi Slick,

Don't worry, VGH does have private rooms. You should also check with your insurance because alot of times it will cover at least a portion of the cost of a private room (since they don't have to pay for much else in Canada).

Besides a pair of ear plugs might not be such a bad idea (just in case :D )

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Oh NOOOOOOOOO, I just read this (was on vacation again)
Dear Slick, I am so sorry for you! I admire you for being so positive! THAT is the best attitude to cope with it! Be sure to know you have lots and lots of great friends here!! We will pull you through, no worries!!

jenfer
08-11-2006, 11:14 AM
I just read this. Keep up the positive attitude and you will be in my prayer. ((HUG))

gini
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Good morning dear friend.

I see this thread is getting a little crowded with responses! Way to go Pet Talker's!!!!!!

Thinking of you and hope you have a good Friday.

xxoo me

Kirsten
08-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Oh ((((slick)))), I just read the news and I'm totally in shock!! But I can only admire the way how you face this challenge!! Being positive is the best way to fight the Big C. I'm also relieved to read that it's a tumor that doesn't spread, and that you won't need chemo. Also, I think that they scheduled the surgery for September or October is a good sign. Otherwise they would have sent you to the hospital right away!

But of course it's still scary. Some years ago, I was diagnosed with an adenoma in my pituitary gland, and even though I was told I'd probably won't even need surgery, I was scared to death. Tumors are always such a scary thing! And every time I have MRTs I'm scared it has grown.

I'm sending the best wishes to you for a full recovery. And I'm sure you will also be able to fight the horrors of the hospital food! ;)

BTW, I totally sympathize with you regarding your discomfort about sharing your room with other patients. I HATED it when I was in hospital for my back surgery two years ago. Being the loner that I am, it was just horrible for me to have no privacy. That was the most horrible thing of the entire surgery - and being seperated from Luna and Lily, of course! I missed them terribly while I was in hospital.

(((HUGS)))

Kirsten

momoffuzzyfaces
08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Good morning dear friend.

I see this thread is getting a little crowded with responses! Way to go Pet Talker's!!!!!!

Thinking of you and hope you have a good Friday.

xxoo me
Heck gini, we're just getting warmed up!!!

We'll keep talking to slick all through her sir-jury never mind she won't be able to see the responses while she's in hospital. !!! She'll have an entire novel to read while she is home recooping!!! ;)

Angels have been requested and are already there. So if you start feeling crowded, that's why!!! ;)

(((HUGS))) from me my friend and
SMOOCHIES from the cat gang

cyber-sibes
08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Gosh Slick, you sure have a great attitude! I would be frantic. Will keep you in my prayers, and am going to look forward to that "see you in Findlay " next year! ;) I had surgery last year and while it wasn't on my list of the most fun things I've ever done, I can tell you that I feel better than I have for years. Gotta keep looking at the big picture.

Recovery is a great time to do things you keep putting off, like reading, painting, contacting old friends. I developed a serious case of PT addiction while I spent 6 weeks at home! :D

jackie
08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I am so glad you are going into this with a positive outlook.

IMO that is a big part of the battle.

Hugs and good vibes coming your way. :D

slick
08-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi Slick, Don't worry, VGH does have private rooms. You should also check with your insurance because alot of times it will cover at least a portion of the cost of a private room (since they don't have to pay for much else in Canada).
Wow ETS, you must have some connections to find that out from way over there. Thanks for the info. Since I'm such a big "planner", I've already done some research. My insurance through work will cover 100% of hospital costs for a semi-private room.....that cost varies depending on where in VGH I am. The new tower is $110/day and the old part is $75/day. If I chose a private room the cost is $150/day in the tower and $115/day in the other parts. The surgeon's office will book the surgery and at the same time request that I want a private room....although I was told there is no guarantee. So there you have it. Will probably not have any other update information until after the 17th.

Thanks again for your love and support everyone. MOFF, expect an email from me today. ;)

Dorothy39
08-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Two dates are "cast" in my thoughts,

August 17th,

August 24th,

Slick, You are an AWESOME person!!!!

these two dates symbolize my power of Prayers!!! I promise, I will be thinking of YOU!!!! ;) You have got my WORD on that!!!!

lbaker
08-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Slickster, I just had lunch with ETS and of course we talked about many things (as usual) but also of course, talked about you. She told me about a shuttle bus that can take me right from the Seattle airport directly to the Vancouver airport. Only takes about an hour. Hell's bell's that's faster than taking a plane, considering the airport security and all. Sooooooo... *puts on thinking cap, gets out paper and pen, checks calendar* ;)

Edwina's Secretary
08-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey Slick.....when I was in the hospital recently I was given a private room (did not request it nor was I charged for it.) I am not sure why but perhaps being difficult and generally distrustful of medical personnel helps?

I don't know if you could ever be "difficult" but it might be worth a try.....(it comes naturally to me.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Be glad to give lessons.... ;) )

Dorothy39
08-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Remember , Slick is from the "Island of Misfit Toys!!!

She is hard to reach? I think not, in your case.

I'd go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dorothy39
08-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi Slickster, I just had lunch with ETS and of course we talked about many things (as usual) but also of course, talked about you. She told me about a shuttle bus that can take me right from the Seattle airport directly to the Vancouver airport. Only takes about an hour. Hell's bell's that's faster than taking a plane, considering the airport security and all. Sooooooo... *puts on thinking cap, gets out paper and pen, checks calendar* ;)
I meant that last reply for you!!!

K9karen
08-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Sorry for the delayed response, which is, BTW, *D##N!*

If anyone can beat this, you can. And I know you will. You asked if anyone knew about this kind of "thing" and yes..my elderly uncle just had the same sirjury last summer and is fine. No further treatment. He was in the hospital almost one week, but went about his normal routine when he came home. Except for feeling tired and sore (oops i gave him a bear hug :rolleyes: ))he looks and feels great. You will too!

Be sure to let us know where you want the pizzas delivered.

Wish I could be there for you too. You're awesome and I love you....Karen

Barbara
08-11-2006, 03:00 PM
My insurance covers a private room but at the hospital I was there were only rooms for 2 persons :(

I had to share a room with a girl (ok like eary 30s) and she had two kids who whenever they came to see her they were not worried about their mom (they were like ten) they only said how difficult it was to get around as she could not do the driving because of her damn brain tumor. Then she cried all the time after they left!!!!!! I hope you get that private room!

emily_the_spoiled
08-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi Slick,

I am originally from Canada and haven't lost all my connections :D :D

Unfortunately I don't have enough connections at VGH to get you a private room. Usually if you request a private room they will do their best to get you one (especially because you will be in for a week). I know people at other hospitals, just not VGH...

Pembroke_Corgi
08-11-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about this news. Having a positive attitude makes all the difference in the world, and it really seems like you have the right approach. I hope the surgery and everything goes well, and everyone here will be thinking of you.

catland
08-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I think its pretty obvious by now that you are far from being everyone's last choice.

Keep your sense of humor intact and all else should fall into place.

(((hugs))))

Julie

Cincy'sMom
08-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Slick, your story about the mail slot reminded me of a friend who has been battling breast cancer for over 6 years. She lost both her parents and grandparents to breast cance, and alwasy felt for her it was a matter of when, not if.

What really has amazed me through her battle has been attitude. Her motto has been "Find a bigger problem" No matter how bad things seem for you, someone else is dealing with something worse. Sorat of the same idea of it all being small stuff, but a little different twist.

Lots more thoughts and prayers coming your way

Soapets
08-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi. I'm just reading this now. You have a very positive attitude, and that will help LOTS. This is difficult for me to respond to. I'm glad it isn't the kind from smoking or second-hand smoke.

It's good that you have LOTS and LOTS of resources available to you. When this is all done and over with, your experience will be a priceless asset to you in relating to others with cancer.

God is working in your life, even though it probably isn't the manner in which you might have expected! Just keep the faith, and ask God to be with you every step of the way. You will do fine.

I will keep you in my prayers.................

Deb

Karen
08-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Oh, yes, Slick - I forgot to mention that, but excellent slippers are key! You will be a celebrity when you walk the floor in your kitty slippers, as I was when I had my tiger-head slippers. They were huge, and had plastic fangs so it looked like they were chomping on my ankles. Whenever I walked, I'd get "Oh, you're the girl with the slippers!" Way better than those whimpy, characterless hospital-issued things.

And about the food gifts - I'd wait until you see how you feel after waking up - I wasn't hungry for a couple days, the anesthesia does that to some people. I'd save up the gifts of food for when you're feeling up to eating!

Logan
08-11-2006, 09:31 PM
I couldn't head into the weekend without telling you that you are in my thoughts and in my prayers every day, Vickie. I hope you can enjoy your weekend.

Keep the faith. We will too!

Logan

slick
08-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I did some more phone callin' today. Found out that not only can I bring my kitty slippers and nightshirts, but I can also bring my own pillow and housecoat. Was told I would have to wear the dreaded gown for the first 2-3 days just in case they have to "get at something in a hurry." I really didn't question what that meant. :eek: :D

Also, thanks to pnance I've got some of my questions answered by her thoracic surgeon friend. Thanks Tricia!!!

I also spoke to a coworker who is trained as a nurse and she has been volunteering at VGH for 7 years now. She gave me some very useful information. As well, she told me I could have a phone and TV in my room. Oh goody, now I can still keep up with Coronation Street and The Young & the Restless. ;) :D

Logan: I do have a strong faith and I'm sure that's what's keeping in sane. There really is so much to think about.

Karen: there isn't much that can kill my appetite but I will probably take your advice and hold off on the treats for a couple of days.

Once again, thank you all for your prayers. I know that there are many other people on this board who need our prayers as well.....let's not forget them, OK?

Love ya!

DJFyrewolf36
08-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Slick, I just saw this (Ive been kind of out of the loop for a while) and I admire your attiude and spirit, Im a firm believer of living life, not letting life living you. I'll be praying for you, even though I really haven't had a chance to get to know you that well. I concider you a friend, and a great member of this community :)

Keep an eye out for those good lookin medical people ;) and thank the nurse if he or she is really cool...Ive had great nurses and Ive had REEEEEEEEALLY bad ones lol, and the bad ones made me apriciate the good ones!

pnance
08-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Also, thanks to pnance I've got some of my questions answered by her thoracic surgeon friend. Thanks Tricia!!!

Not a problem at all, and as I said don't hesitate to email me if you think of any others, she'd be happy to answer any you have.

Kelly's right shaved legs, manicure, pedicure go all out, having worked with a lot of people in the medical field I'd say you've got a good shot at getting at least a few hunky helpers. Maybe you can get one to help hold your gown closed...... ;) :p

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-12-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm so sorry Slick :(

I just saw this now. I really don't know what to say, as everyone has already said what I would've said and I don't want to repeat everything. Just please know that we all care about you, even those of us (like myself) who have never talked to you before. You are a wonderful person and I hope you keep up the great attitiude that you have :)

Ginger's Mom
08-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Still thinking about you Slick. Will keep the good thoughts and prayers going for you.

KYS
08-12-2006, 07:10 AM
We are all rooting for you!!!!
Keep positive, the medical field has made many
advances.

((((hugs and many positive vibes being sent to you ))))

P.S. my sister has been in re-mission for 7 years, soon
we will be cheering your remission.

gini
08-12-2006, 11:32 AM
With all of this talk about "hospital hunks" maybe Slick needs a lace gown - in say "pink" with a feather boa around the neck...something she could twirl at the really cute ones.

(I would leave the nose and glasses along with the cat tail - at home)

And something tells me that she can't possibly handle them all - maybe I should go up there and help her! :D

xxoo to you sweet friend.

K9soul
08-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Slick, I am so very sorry to hear you are going through such a tremendously stressful and daunting experience. I want you to know you will be in my thoughts and prayers daily. You have all of us here for support and prayers, to help you pull through this, never doubt how loved you are. Many warm {{hugs}} sent your way.

Jess

slick
08-12-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm still doing wonderfully and I just can't believe how happy I feel. I'm not the least bit anxious or worried......except about what I mentioned above. :D Been on the phone with two PT'ers so far today and it's not even 11am!!!

Gini :D :D Surprisingly enough, I have all those in my stash of halloween costumes downstairs. I'm off to get them packed. :D :D

Won't have anymore news until the evening of the 17th so I'll post and update then.

Note to self - things to pack
-nightshirts
-lots of undies and socks
-change of clothes to go home in
-Dad's housecoat (RIP Dad, you will be with me)
-Kitty slippers
-pillow
-toothbrush/paste
-lotion/vitamin E cream for my face
-shampoo / good Ivory soap bar ??? (will I get a chance to shower??)
-a good towel and facecloth
-man size kleenex (can't stand what the hospital gives you - 1" x 1" :rolleyes: )
-cutlery (for when visitors bring me some of the good stuff) :D
-a real glass and a mug (can't stand those plastic ones)
-a list of people who might phone on surgery day - to give to the nurses and tell them it's OK to give out information
-a list of phone numbers so I can call from my room (probably won't be until day 2 or 3)

What to take home with me:
-a whole pile of drugs to make the pain to far, far away..... :D

I was telling my friends today.....and I know it sounds very weird....but....I'm looking forward to being in bed for a week and being waited on hand and foot. :rolleyes: :D

shais_mom
08-12-2006, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=gini]And something tells me that she can't possibly handle them all - maybe I should go up there and help her! :D

QUOTE]
YEAA
MEEE TOO! :D

flamepony12
08-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Stay strong Slick- you'll get through this! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts :) (((((HUGS)))))

Jadapit
08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry its taken me so long to reply to this, I havent been on the computer much lately. I was shocked to read this news. With your attituide you will be fine, I'm sure of that. You will be in my thoughts and prayers everyday. (((Hugs)))

zippy-kat
08-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Slick, do you need an extra "hand" with those men? Cause, ya know, I hear Gini has one in her freezer ....

Thinking of ya! :D

momoffuzzyfaces
08-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Once again, thank you all for your prayers. I know that there are many other people on this board who need our prayers as well.....let's not forget them, OK?

Love ya!
Now you see how you are?
With all you are going through, you still think about others.
See why we love you so much?

(((HUGS))) heading your way and prayers for you and all on the board who need them.

kuhio98
08-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Once again, thank you all for your prayers. I know that there are many other people on this board who need our prayers as well.....let's not forget them, OK?HE!! slick, if ever there was a time to put yourself first, I think this is it! We won't forget the others, but I (for one) have a need to keep you in my prayers.

wolf_Q
08-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Slick, I'm sorry to hear this news but I'm glad you have such a positive attitude. I have no doubt in my mind that everything will turn out well for you as long as you keep that attitude. Prayers are coming your way!

Logan
08-12-2006, 08:16 PM
You are my idol!!!!! I think you are going to be just fine. Heck, as all of the rest of us grow older and have health issues, we need you to boost us! :p

Goodnight, Slick. :)

Logan

NoahsMommy
08-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Slick,

I'm so glad you're packing things to go with you that'll make you feel better. :)

I have a hospital bag with just that. It makes you feel more comfortable in your own clothes and you feel better knowing that you have lots of supplies.

I keep the following in my hospital bag:

1) 7 pairs of brand new undies

2) 3 to 4 sets of pjs (usually nightshirt types and the tank/short sets)

3) 2-3 pairs of socks

4) slippers (mine are UGGs and slip on with shoe soles on them, so I can use them as shoes too)

5)Hair brush and hair bands to keep my hair up and out of my face

6) Face and body wipes...I cannot tell you how great these are!! When you aren't able to shower due to your condition or you just plain not feeling well enough to brave the shower, these are GREAT!!

7) Those toilet paper moist wipe thingys. Hospital toilet paper is soooo rough! I also bring a roll of my own toilet paper, but that's becaue of WHY I'm there. If I were there for anything other than my Crohn's, I wouldn't need to.

8) Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash...all in EASY TO OPEN travel containers. If they allow you to shower, you'll have to do so WITH YOUR IV IN. They'll cover it up with plastic and lots of tape, but its a challenge to manuver with that IV arm and trying to open your bottles. ;)

9) A plastic bag for the dirty clothes

10) Those eye masks for sleeping. Hospitals are notorious for being BRIGHT and LOUD - you'd think they'd want thier patients to sleep! If you can find them I'd bring them. I usually find mine on Ebay. They work SOOO well.

11) Toothbrush and toothpaste...don't want to scare any of those hotties away! ;)

12) Entertainment. The TV's good, but sometimes you don't want to watch. I bring books and magazines...something that REALLY looks good to me and makes you look forward to reading it. I read the last Harry Potter book in the hospital and it made it better somehow.

I think that's about it. If I think of anything else that will make your stay easier, I'll let you know, honey.

You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Love you,
Kelly :)

shais_mom
08-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Slick,

6) Face and body wipes...I cannot tell you how great these are!! When you aren't able to shower due to your condition or you just plain not feeling well enough to brave the shower, these are GREAT!!

8) Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash...all in EASY TO OPEN travel containers. If they allow you to shower, you'll have to do so WITH YOUR IV IN. They'll cover it up with plastic and lots of tape, but its a challenge to manuver with that IV arm and trying to open your bottles. ;)

I wonder if baby wipes would work too - I know the Huggies ones with Shea butter are super moisturizing. or
http://www.drugstore.com/search/search.asp?searchtype=1&trx=28198&trxp1=60&ipp=20&srchtree=1&search=face+wipes

And Slick - I suggest http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/category_10001_10001_-1_24026_N_23504_23504
or
http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/category_10001_10001_-1_24027_N_24026_23504
or
http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/category_10001_10001_-1_30028_N_32002_23504
they are shampoo, conditioner and body wash all in one and they smell YUMMMMY!
and you can get them at
http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/displayPageStoreLocator_10001_10001_-1_StoreLocatorDetails_-_country_canada_vancouver

momoffuzzyfaces
08-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Hey, pal, just want to let you know my server returned my reply to your email the other day, the one where you said you would try to call today. It waited until about an hour ago to return the thing.

I wondered why you never called. I'm so sorry. :(

I would have loved a chat.

carole
08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Slick if anyone's gonna beat this you will, as many other's have said you are a strong, determined woman with a great positive outlook,however I am so sorry to read this and that you have to endure this at all in your life, I hope with all my heart all goes well for you with the surgery and afterwards, you will be in my thoughts.

RobiLee
08-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi Slick!

I have to tell you that after reading your posts that you have me smiling and you are my hero! You go, Girl!! Stick with that attitude and do what you have to do and before you know it, it will all be over with.

I think you are AWESOME!

{{Many hugs coming your way!}}

dukedogsmom
08-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Just a late night check in to see how things are going. I wish you all the best and that everything is taken care of and you can be whole again. How can you not with all of us pulling for you? We'll be looking forward to hearing from you again. If someone would pm me with a way to snail mail you, I'd love to make you a card. *Hugs*

pnance
08-13-2006, 11:11 PM
And something tells me that she can't possibly handle them all - maybe I should go up there and help her! :D .

Hey Gini, I wouldn't want you to get lonely on the trip there so I'll make the sacrifice and go with you to "help"..... :p ;)

Those moist wipes are great. I keep some in my car and have used them more than once. They do a really good job when a shower isn't handy, to at least freshen up.

Donnaj4962
08-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Slick,

I am so sorry that I am just now replying to this thread. I have read through everyone's posts (that took some time!) :D and I know that with all the prayers and good wishes you will come through this. Please know that there are many prayers and well wishes coming your way from Indiana!

My Mother is a colon cancer survivor! She was diagnosed in 1991, and after a sir jury ( she has a colostomy which she calls "junior") and radiation, she is cancer free! My Dad is battling prostrate cancer now, but his prognosis is very good! It is just amazing to me how far and advanced medical technology has come!

You have a great atitude, and that is one of the keys to your recovery! I will keep you in my prayers!

slick
08-14-2006, 06:53 PM
you are my hero! RobiLee, I'm no hero. I'm just trying to deal with this the best I can....just like you did.

You are my idol!!!!! Logan, that's very nice of you to say, but really Simon would kick me off the stage..... :D

I'm nobody special. I'm just like all of you trying to make my way in world and hoping to make a difference along the way.

Kelly, thanks for your list.
Stace, thanks for the links. Only trouble is I have to go downtown to get those items so I'll have to psych myself up to do that. I only go down there when and if necessary. :eek:

Slick, do you need an extra "hand" with those men? Cause, ya know, I hear Gini has one in her freezer .... :D :D :D Zipster, thanks for the belly laugh.

I sent out a global email today to all 150 of my coworkers.....90+ in my building and the rest spread throughout BC and Yukon. It's funny that the people I deal with very infrequently were the ones who showed up on my doorstep and offered support. Never got any reaction from 3 people in my own department....not that it really matters. I just wanted it out in the open. I will now become part of the CCS's Cancer Connection program and will be matched with a volunteer who had the same type of tumour and the same type of surgery and I'm really looking forward to that.

I admit that at this moment I'm getting a little impatient. I just want this done and overwith so I can plan my next trip to a PT meeting. :D

{{{hugs}}} to you all.
xoxoxo

Dorothy39
08-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Where did you get your "spunk" from, Slick?

You have a divine purpose, and , after this wild ride, You need to share it with all of us!!!

Thinking of YOU!!!!

carole
08-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Slick i have to disagree with you on your comment "I'm nobody special" oh yes you are to everyone here on PT and many other people that I am sure of, I also admire your spunk,and dutch courage, I only wish I had even half of it, you will beat this girl , you really will, thinking of you and hoping for a very positive outcome, remember we are all here for you anytime, you need a pick me up, a friendly chat, or a hug. :)

dukedogsmom
08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Slick, that's great news about the volunteer. That will be a big help, I'm sure. Just checking in here to see how you're doing. I know you want it over with and we do, too. I hope it's a success and that you'll feel even better than before.

trayi52
08-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Slick, just checking in to see how you are doing. I'll be glad when you get it over and done with too. I hope you will be as good as new too.

Get well quickly!

Willie

slick
08-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks Carole, Val and Willy.
I was planning on posting an update tomorrow after I see the surgeon.

Dorothy...spunk?? Well, I'm not sure about that. Today has been a very discouraging day at work so I'm not feeling very spunky right now. Ah but tomorrow is another day and as God as my witness.....oh sorry, I was going into my Scarlett mode again. :D Talk to you all tomorrow.

Dorothy39
08-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Yes, Slick!!!

You do have spunk!!!! That Scarlett O'Hara quote!!!!! I can hear it now!!!!

You are full of it, up to your eyebrows!! oh, Spunk, of course!!! ;)

I will be thinking of a Pet Talk Member, (Slick) on August 17 , and, on August 24th.

Prayers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thinking of YOU!!!!!

Logan
08-16-2006, 09:00 PM
I think you are very special, Miss Slick! :)

Love,
Mack

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/lbagley/August2.jpg

sasvermont
08-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Slick, you are one terrific person with enough silliness to get yourself through this. We will all be cheering for your speedy recovery. See, I already have this behind you! Please take lots of hugs with you, from us all. :)

(((((((((((((((((((((((Slick))))))))))))))))))))

Vermontcat
08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Slick, I meant to post in this thread sooner, sorry that I didn't until now.
It looks like you have a positive attitude and a great sense of humor and lots of wonderful friends here at Pet Talk to help you through this so I think you will beat this with no problem at all. :)

Randi
08-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Slick, you are an amazing woman and a dear friend. I just want you to know I'm thinking of you and sending positive thoughts. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Photoshop/Heart-lille.jpg

((((((((((hugs))))))))))) .... and headbumpies from Fister.

Killearn Kitties
08-17-2006, 04:14 AM
Good luck today, Sweetie! I'll be thinking of you all day, keeping my fingers crossed, and making lots of mistakes in my emails!!! :D

Oggyflute
08-17-2006, 05:39 AM
You are going to beat this Slick. You are a wonderful soul, and that's a very powerful thing.
All my love and best wishes,
Trev

lbaker
08-17-2006, 06:25 AM
Hey Sis, I can't light a candle at work today, it might set off the sprinklers [actually, that could be rather... nah] but Jenny has one going at home and I have a light in my heart for you. Always, all ways.

mruffruff
08-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Candles lit, paws crossed, prayers sent. More coming until we hear that your OK.

(You're not MY last choice. You need a new phrase!)

Karen
08-17-2006, 09:53 AM
In our prayers today!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Just checking with a load more positive vibes for you!

Cinder & Smoke
08-17-2006, 10:22 AM
It's the 17th already?

Paws, Klaws, and Finners all crossed + Candles Lighted + Prayers being offered.

Keep *smiling*! ;)

{{{Hugs}}} from us All

krazyaboutkatz
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Slick, I'll be thinking about you today and I hope that eveything goes well. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.:)

Vela
08-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Just wanted to let you know we are still thinking about you and praying every day for you to get better.

RobiLee
08-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Thinking about you today :)

Rachel
08-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Thinking about you today :)

ME TOO.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Like I said at Thursdays, thinking of you today, as always these days. :)

Edwina's Secretary
08-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Keeping the faith.....

gini
08-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I have asked that a host of angels be with you today to look after you.

You are well loved dear friend.

Donnaj4962
08-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Thinking of you today, and praying that all goes well. You are a special person, and there are many prayers coming from myself, Tabitha, and Sasha that you can get through this. With your attitude, you will do fine, as that is half the battle! ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
08-17-2006, 12:30 PM
I have asked that a host of angels be with you today to look after you.

You are well loved dear friend.
AMEN!!! TO ALL THAT GINI!!! :)

Dorothy39
08-17-2006, 02:04 PM
I prayed for a host of angels this morning, just got a reply from the Man telling me that they have all left Heaven, headed for Canada!!!

I might have known!! :rolleyes:

Slick----You have a red hot prayer chain going on!!! We all Love the Awesome Optimism that you give out so freely with words, and , deeds!!!

{{{HUGS}}}} to You!!!!

Kirsten
08-17-2006, 02:08 PM
I'd also like you to know that you're in my thoughts!!

Kirsten

dukedogsmom
08-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Thinking of you today, friend. I hope everything goes well.

RedHedd
08-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Been thinking of you all along today. Even when they were ultrasounding me (looking for "something" which we hope is nothing), I was thinking of you, knowing you're being poked and prodded too.

lv4dogs
08-17-2006, 02:26 PM
You've been in my thoughts today. {{hugs}}

slick
08-17-2006, 05:09 PM
The meeting with the surgeon went really, really well. I just love this guy. He's caring and compassionate and explained everything to me. I took a co-worker with me to be a second pair of ears. She is a cancer survivor and helped me with all my questions and even asked some questions I didn't think of.

Anyway, my surgery date is September 14th. :eek: That fast. I couldn't believe it. I came away with a whole pile of pamphlets to read so I've got my work cut out for me. I even have to do exercises before and after the surgery.

The next few weeks will be really busy as I have to meet with lots of doctors and people before the operation. There's more to tell but it's all boring stuff. PM me if you to know.

Thanks again for all you well wishes. I have no doubt that I'll be back at work by November 1st. Piece of cake, guys. :)

Dorothy39
08-17-2006, 05:12 PM
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!

You are SLICK!!!!!!

jenluckenbach
08-17-2006, 05:19 PM
I even have to do exercises before and after the surgery.

EXERCISE?!?!?!?! :eek: No way, it's not worth it. :p (joking....LOL)

Thanks for the update. You've been constantly in my thoughts.

Queen of Poop
08-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Most excellent that you like the surgeon. That will make things a whole lot easier. Less than a month till the surgery, that's awesome!! Do what you need to do between now and then and know that we will all have Sep 14 marked on our calendars.

K9soul
08-17-2006, 05:34 PM
You remain in my thoughts and prayers Slick. You have such a phenomenal attitude, so inspiring to me and I'm sure many others :). Lots of hugs to you.

davidpizzica
08-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Slick, I still have Mario sitting in my living room and I'll make sure to turn his vibes to you and your surgery.

dukedogsmom
08-17-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm so glad that you like your surgeon and that he's a good guy. I know it will be a relief to get this out of the way. I'm glad you've got some support with a coworker. That was very nice of them to go with you like that. Keep up that good attitude and I know you can beat this.

Karen
08-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Excellent. It's good you liked your surgeon. When I had the brain (acoustic neuroma) surgery, I liked my surgeon an awful lot - I think that being patient and answering questions is every bit as important as the surgery itself. It helps to be putting yourself in the hands of someone trustworthy.

Okay, September 14th, there will be prayers flying from all over! :)

wolflady
08-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Wow, I can't help but really admire your attitude, slick! You are AWESOME! :D I'm really glad that you liked your surgeon and that he was open to answering you and your friend's questions. That's really great to develop a trusting relationship like that. You will indeed continue to receive prayers and healing vibes across the miles!

Much love,
Karen

My Peanuts
08-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Again, your attitude is just great! That's going to make all the difference in your recovery. More prayers for you and I'll be thinking about you around and on the 14th. The big C is terrible and you're going to kicks its A$$! :)

RedHedd
08-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Good having a surgeon you like and trust and DO THOSE EXERCISES! I know you won't feel like doing them (I didn't) but they helped me maintain my range of motion in my upper body. Just think of it as getting in shape for those handsome interns, externs, orderlies, nurses and doctors :D

9/14 is a little less than a month away. I know you have LOTS to do, but do take advantage of some of the free services the American Cancer Society provides. I had free therapy during my ordeal. All those walks help pay for the services that you will need during this time.

Catty1
08-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Awwww...you get to walk the seawall and I'M NOT THERE!!!! WAAAAH!

Well, okay, you're kind of far from there...but hopefully monsoon season is over and you can enjoy walks there.

HUGS!

trayi52
08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
It is really good that you like your surgeon and trust him. I am glad you have such a good outlook on the whole thing, that is what is going to help you more than anything.

Slick, you do those exercises, and whatever else they tell you to do. You are such a dear and sweet friend to me. I will keep prayers coming your way.

HUGS,
Willie

cyber-sibes
08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
:) That's great, a good surgeon who will answer all your questions. Stay busy till then, and before you know it, you'll be on the road to recovery! My mom survived many many years after her bout with cancer. Your're in my prayers daily!

pnance
08-17-2006, 11:35 PM
I didn't get a chance to post today but I was thinking of you. I'm glad to hear you really like your surgeon and that he's willing to take the time to talk to you, so many now are so busy they don't take the time to listen and answer questions which doesn't help.

Excersize.. I thought the perk of being ill was you were waited on hand and foot while you layed in bed... ;)

Killearn Kitties
08-18-2006, 04:10 AM
It's better that you don't have a long time to hang about waiting for the operation (I know that's easy for me to say!), that way you will be back with us and posting earlier than you would have been otherwise.

I'm so pleased that you felt good about the surgeon. That's got to make a huge difference to your peace of mind.

Now get on with those exercises! Max might help. I used to work with a lady whose cat did aerobics with her in the morning. :D

Pawsitive Thinking
08-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Your whole attitude is incredible!!! Wishing you all the best for 14th :D

lbaker
08-18-2006, 06:04 AM
Well I'm going to have to jump on some P.M.'s this morning... Slickster, I need to know everything! But you know that about us. And RH, what's going on with you? I'll p.m. you and you can answer or not as you please. I'm just a worry-wart when it comes to my pals.. can't help it, don't want to ;)

slick
08-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Slickster, I need to know everything!
I've emailed you, Sis. :)

moosmom
08-18-2006, 07:20 AM
Slick,

You ARE going to beat this, just the way my daughter did over 14 years ago. Her strong will and determination helped her beat brain cancer. I know you can do it!! ;)

I'll PM you with my cellphone number. Call me anytime. I've got plenty of minutes.

ramanth
08-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Continued heartfelt healing vibes!! Great news that you like your surgeon. Sounds like you've got a great support network. You'll beat this!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Well I'm going to have to jump on some P.M.'s this morning... Slickster, I need to know everything!

Ditto! Copy that email to me too. :)

I'm so glad you liked your surgeon. Nothing worse than being opened up by somebody you don't like! :eek:

I'm also glad you had someone go with you. Like you say, it's good to have a second set of ears along.

I know you'll breeze right through this sir-jury and before you know it you'll be saying "Cancer? What cancer? Who has cancer?" ;)

pitc9
08-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Glad things are going well... and the attitude you have about this would make Mother Teresa jealous!!
We'll all be thinking of you on the 14th!

kimlovescats
08-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Prayers for you!!!! ;)

(((((HUGS)))))
Kim

K9karen
08-19-2006, 12:07 AM
You ain't the Slickmeister for nuthin'! You go girl!
Loving your surgeon helps recovery. My spine surgeon was awesome and caring and encouraging. Heaps and bundles of prayers always coming your way. I adore you.

gini
08-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Good morning dear friend - thinking about you and will talk to you soon.

dukedogsmom
08-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey woman! How are you doing today? I hope you have a peace filled weekend.

catland
08-19-2006, 04:32 PM
thinking of you....

I think its great that you had a second set of ears - there can be so much information in such a short amount of time that you have to absorb.

Julie

rg_girlca
08-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Just to let you know that I am still thinking and praying for you Slick.

I just love your attitude and sense of humor. You are going to be just fine. :)

CathyBogart
08-19-2006, 04:47 PM
I just realized that I haven't actually posted in this thread yet, but I have been keeping you in my thoughts.

Vio&Juni
08-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Slick, I'll be thinking about you on the 14th. I'll keep my fingers crossed until they're blue.

Logan
08-23-2006, 10:22 AM
How are you doing, my friend? I read your Thursdays post and got a bit worried. If I could be on your doorstep to cheer you up, I'd be there in a heartbeat!!!!!! :)

Who would you like to greet you? I have great variety.

I have Mack, who will kiss you to death and run from chair to couch to cat to you and back again.

I have Lilly who prefers to just lie at your feet and have her head patted, every now and then.

I have Honey who is a bit more active than Lilly, but she's a sweetheart, and has the softest head.

And then there is Buttercup. :eek: He is sweet, when he wants to be. He is actually a wonderful companion kitty, and I love him so much. :)

And then there is Roger Cockatiel, who will say "hey birdie", "hey Roger", "Whatcha doin" and whistle "Zippity Do Dah" to you, over and over.

Milly Cockatiel could come too. But she is very quiet.

Who do you want to accompany me????

We love you, want you to feel good, and continue to be very, very positive!!!!!!!! Wish we were closer.

Love,
Logan

feel free to email me, Vickie, or call me, anytime. I will PM you my information. I can call you back, too.

Logan
08-23-2006, 10:23 AM
For goodness sake, how could I forget Otto, the fish?? He is a great "cheer me up" kind of guy. He is so happy when we approach his bowl to feed him!!! I talk to him all the time! :o My family thinks I'm crazy, which I probably am. LOL!!!!!!

Logan

RobiLee
08-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Slick! Just popping in to let you know that I'm thinking about you. Hang in there, girl, and take care of yourself!

{{HUGS}}

Randi
08-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Slick, you're on my mind and I'm sending positive thoughts and lots of hugs to you. :)

My friend, you're dealing with this wonderfully, but reading your post in *Thursdays" I sense that you're feeling down (hopefully it's not very often!). So glad you like your surgeon, that's the one guy you should trust! ;) I will send you an e-mail and tell a little story about a minor operation I once had.

I expect you get a lot of e-mails, please don't feel obliged to answer them too soon, take your time to relax and do the important things, don't stress over anything!!

Fister is pawing at me and purring good vibes to send to you, and he tells me to give you headbumpies.

Love you, girl!!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Leonardo insists I post this pic of his smoochie face to help cheer you up!!!

Luvies on the way from the entire bunch and of course, me too!!!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/MOFF55/th_Leonardo000_0662.jpg (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/MOFF55/Leonardo000_0662.jpg)

BOBS DAD
08-23-2006, 12:36 PM
You're in my prayers. I know how hard waiting for an upcoming surgery can be - and how you just want it all "to be over" with - so you can get on with your life. But try and take each day as they come. Enjoy everything about them and find something to "look forward to" in the next. God bless you.

dan

slick
08-23-2006, 03:54 PM
I want to take this moment to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Your love and prayers are everything I need right now. So many of you have sent email, ecards, and I've received cards in the mail. I owe you all an email back and will try to get at that tonight. Right now, I'm not doing so well. :( :(

Last night was not a good night for me. All of a sudden, this "thing" hit me like a ton of bricks and I sobbed my heart out for hours. I really don't know where it came from....I was blindsided. I'm still not feeling as strong as before and I really need to give myself a slap on the rear and tell myself to smarten up.

I'm at home today waiting on some furniture delivery. I'm supposed to be laying low in preparation for the scan tomorrow but as I look around, there is so much to be done. My brother is coming here on Friday night and will stay overnight. I have a few things around here that I want him to fix on Saturday before he goes home to Calgary.

A potential housecleaner is coming over tonight for an interview. I spoke to her at length on the phone and I really feel in my heart that she will work out OK. By the way....her name is Laurie... :) :) She loves cats and is anxious to meet Max.

So there you have it. Again, please forgive me for not responding to all of you individually. When I settle down tonight, I'll get right to it.

xoxoxoxoxo

Catty1
08-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey - how about changing the "everybody's Last choice" to "My First Choice"?

Feed yourself all the positive stuff you can!

HUGS

C

gini
08-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Dear friend, I was wondering when this would come..........and as painful as it is for you, I am glad that it has arrived.

I cannot think of anything more normal than you having all of the possible emotions to deal with this.

Anger
Fear
Dread
Self pity
and on and on

Cry - go ahead and have a good long cry - or two - or three. No, you don't deserve to have this - and why DO YOU have cancer? There are no easy answers - so we rummage around in our heads and bang against the walls of our brain.

If you didn't come to this point, I think I would have been more worried.

For thousands of reasons, you are well loved here at Pet Talk - and individually as friends.

I am here for you - all of us are here for you - none of us will let you down.

I will try to call you this evening.

xxoo me

momoffuzzyfaces
08-23-2006, 04:39 PM
There was a book out several years ago by a woman fighting cancer. I can't remember her name for the life of me but the book is called:
First you Cry.

That's been my experience when anyone I know has cancer. I know when dad was diagnosed, I expected him to keel over any second. So, you cry. Then you realize as long as there is life, there is hope. You know that, ok, I have a disease that can be very very bad but it can also be cured. Then you start fighting back. We are going to be right here fighting with you. I fully expect you to kick that cancer's butt so bad it will never even consider coming back.

So cry when you need to. You need to get that out.
Know we are here and we love you and prayer is the most powerful force in the universe. I know for a fact, heaven's prayer lines are glowing from the heat of all the calls they are receiving on your behalf.

Remember: we are all here for you.
TONS OF LUVIES

Killearn Kitties
08-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Aww, that bit had to come at some point, I suppose. Don't you worry about replying to anything, just you take care of yourself and just take all the hugs heading your way!

Good luck for tomorrow.

jenluckenbach
08-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Slick, I too was waiting for reality to sink in. SURE, your head is strong, you know you can and WILL fight this.......but your heart must sink at some point. Wondering WHY? HOW? that's OK. it is normal. And here is where we all get to help you some. We can be your strength whenever you feel too weak.

We love you Slick....have you figured that out yet?

lbaker
08-23-2006, 07:21 PM
When you can't even see your own footsteps, it's because we are all there carrying you, dear person, dearer friend and sister I never I had but do now :cool:

dukedogsmom
08-23-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm so glad I stopped by. I'm sure it's totally normal how you're feeling. Just don't let it get you down forever. I think you're doing so good! And I'm glad you told us how you were feeling. We can be stronger for you when you cannot. Keep your chin up and good luck tomorrow! I'm glad you've found a good person to clean your house. Don't work too much tonight. You need your rest.

kuhio98
08-23-2006, 08:41 PM
slick ~ It will be okay. You just needed to get your emotions out. I also wondered when it would "hit". Not that you were in denial, 'cuz you weren't. But, the enormous reality of it takes time to sink in. Then, you put it into perspective. It's not bigger than you. You can handle it. It will not control you. You are a fighter. We will be here for you. You're not going through it alone. It sucks! You don't "deserve" it. No one does.

Okay, deep cleansing breath. Big bear hug. Better now?

Until the next time you need to cry. Go ahead. It will wash your fears away.

RedHedd
08-23-2006, 09:21 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{SLICK}}}}}}}}}}}}} Yup it hits us all at different stages in the process and you're right on track on your path. Go ahead and cry, girl. And if/when the anger hits a punching bag is good or go somewhere where you can yell and scream - driving in the car alone was good for me. But don't try and drive and cry - been there, done that .... not a good thing :rolleyes:

Just before I was diagnosed I had taken a women's self-defense course - one of those model-mugging things where you learn street-wise self-defense. Shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer and soon after my diagnosis I had a dream - in the dream I was beating the C**p out of my cancer - kicking and hitting and screaming and really giving my cancer everything I had learned in that course. That dream carried me through my cancer ordeal - through all the scans, surgeries, and doctors appointments, I just keep visualizing myself kicking the s**t out of my tumors.

I don't know if my visualizations worked or the treatments or a combination of both - it sure was cathartic for me to do all I could from MY end of the picture. I still hold the visual of that dream in my heart and use it from time to time when life gets difficult.

Be gentle with yourself. Let us carry you cuz that's what we're all here for.

pnance
08-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Slick don't worry, crying is a way to let go and believe it or not relax. If you keep everything bottled up it will only get worse and not help yourself at all. You have lot's of people who care for you and sounds like a good support team there. It's ok to cry once in awhile and remember you have your friends and family who are there with a strong shoulder to lean on. In my entire life my mom was always strong, I never saw her break down or cry. She was diagnosed with breast cancer almost 15 years ago That was the first and last time I actually saw her shaken. Bottom line she drew strength from friends and family and has been cancer free for all these years. I have no doubt you have the strength and will to make it through this time and look forward to the future. Take care of yourself and don't worry about what needs to be done around the house, you'll have plenty of time to take of that once your well again.

anna_66
08-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Slick I know I haven't been around much, but your in my prayers every day.
Lots of (((hugs)))

Corinna
08-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Hug I too send good thoughts seeing you get to the first steps. Just don't do what i did I started pounding the shower walls . Bruised my hands really good and cracked the wall. Crying isA BETTER WAY.

wolflady
08-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Oh slick, I was thinking that this would happen sometime. Sometimes you just need to have a good long cry and let it all out. You usually feel better in the end. I'm so glad that your brother is coming and that you've looked into a housekeeper. Please know that you continue to be in my prayers too.

**hugs**

zippy-kat
08-24-2006, 01:13 AM
I haven't posted much but that doesn't mean I haven't thought about you every second of every day. I continually pray and send healing thoughts your way.

{hugs}

K9karen
08-24-2006, 01:47 AM
I, too, think about you every day. Crying is my favorite emotion. It releases my tension, anger, sadness...then I stop, feel better, kick myself in the butt and tackle the world head on. Reaching out across the continent with hugs, support and lots of love

krazyaboutkatz
08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Slick, as others have already mentioned, it's good to cry and let it all out. Please remember that you have my full support and you're in my thoughts and prayers. ((((HUGS))))

gini
08-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Slick will be having her Petscan today at 12:30 pm - west coast time.
I know that she would really appreciate all of your prayers at that time.

I am confident that all of us could really make a prayerful racket.........as we storm the heavens for Slick's good health.

Thanks everyone.

RobiLee
08-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Prayers on the way!

Jadapit
08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Prayers on the way from Colorado!

Logan
08-24-2006, 12:08 PM
The Good Lord sure is getting an earful, right now. I do hope everything will go well today, Slick. You are in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Logan

lv4dogs
08-24-2006, 12:09 PM
She's been in my prayers all along. I'll be sure to send some extras today. {{HUGS}}

momoffuzzyfaces
08-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Group (((HUG))) for slick!!!

Lots of prayers flying from me too! Don't forget, the angels are there with you too!

Donnaj4962
08-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Your momentary melt-down was to be expected! I think that everyone has them. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer, I cried for a few moments, and then pulled myself together. Then, a few days later, while driving down the road, I lost it, and had to pull over, as I kept saying over and over.... "my dad has cancer." I still have a few momets like that, but they are less intense. And this may be what you will find also. Everyone reacts differenctly.

Hang in there Slick! You have such a strong support group, both local and even international! I agree with the "army of angels" coming to keep an eye on you! Lots of prayers from Indiana! I will keep watching for updates!

lbaker
08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Hold tightly Gini, Slick is squeezing our hands right now.....

Logan
08-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Yep.........it is time. Keep those prayers coming, everyone.

Catty1
08-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Prayers here....hugs and hugs...post when you feel up to it!

gini
08-24-2006, 03:04 PM
So help me - I actually reached out in thin air and grasped her hand.........with big tears in my eyes.

Praying pretty hard right now.

pnance
08-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Prayers and hugs to you....

slick
08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Isn'T lIfE gRand... LoOk at tHOsE LitTle birdIEs SinG :D :D :D
YoU all LOok WorRied. :( WhosE dying??? We AlL nEeD to TaKe a Wak OuTsiDe to smell Air....

I Love ThoSe liTTle Teeny TiNNy piLLs....thay mak my wORld a HaPPy pLace and I go VeRy vErY far AWay.....

**SiGh*** I gUeSS I BetTeR TaKe the PreTTY LiTtle Bus homE...
LaUGH EverYOne.....LifE is PhuNNy..... :D :D :D

momoffuzzyfaces
08-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Glad to see you made it through the test and are now safe and sound and happy? at home. (I hope you are home or you may end up in Cleveland while on those pills) Now REST and cuddle with MAX!

Killearn Kitties
08-24-2006, 05:07 PM
:D :D I think the bus might be a good idea! You take care now!

Catty1
08-24-2006, 05:14 PM
:D Earth calling Slick! :D

Girl, you are just TOO funny!

Hope Max gives you a good cuddle - actually, give him some nip and you two can have a FUN evening! :)

HUGS

gini
08-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, Laurie and I let go of her hands so she could get out of the Petscan and look at her go - we tried to stop her - but UP UP AND AWAY SHE WENT!!

lbaker
08-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Maybe it's the "Power of Three" or the "Three Witches" from MacBeth or just maybe it's Huey, Dewy and Louie :eek: Slickster ~ you make me a very happy camper you silly, silly woman and dear friend.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe it's the "Power of Three" or the "Three Witches" from MacBeth or just maybe it's Huey, Dewy and Louie :eek: Slickster ~ you make me a very happy camper you silly, silly woman and dear friend.
;) Hey now, you have to share her with the rest of us you know! :D

Cinder & Smoke
08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
I Love ThoSe liTTle Teeny TiNNy piLLs....thay mak my wORld a HaPPy pLace and I go VeRy vErY far AWay.....

:rolleyes:

Guess the Test must be over. :p

I just had an MRA (similar to an MRI) in an "enclosed" unit - they said get Doc
to prescribe a "sedative" so you don't :eek: *space out* in the tube...

Done.

Had no effect for most of the test ... but I acted just like Slick when we were done!

I had Unka Pat along as the Bus Driver for the trip home!

Try to stay INside the rest of the day & evening ...
hate to hear the neighbors called out the Rubber Room Gang to round you up!

{{{Hugs}}}

dukedogsmom
08-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Isn'T lIfE gRand... LoOk at tHOsE LitTle birdIEs SinG :D :D :D
YoU all LOok WorRied. :( WhosE dying??? We AlL nEeD to TaKe a Wak OuTsiDe to smell Air....

Wow! Are you willing to share those? :D Sounds like a lot of fun. I could save them for work and there would surely be no stress.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Gee, nothing like a few tiny pills to bring you out of a funk - eh? ;) :D

I'm late catching up here, and so sorry you had to have that little rough spot, but like everyone says, it's only to be expected. All you can do is make sure you lean on us and not let it get you down for too long. Wallow for a day or so, then back to the positive attitude.

Guess we'll have to wait to find out the results of the petscan....until you come back to earth anyway. ;)

What exactly is a petscan anyway? Is that when you have a cheeseburger for lunch then Max is all over you when you get home, sniffing those yummy cheeseburger sniffs? ;)

slick
08-24-2006, 07:51 PM
LOLOLOL Sharzies??? I don't think so but when the nurse came in to give me my second pill, she walked out immediately giving me time to get the pill into my wallet for further use. However, I was selfish and wanted it myself so pop it went in.

The little "trip" didn't last long as I'm on a downer now.....you know, when you come down and your head starts to hurt and you feel really tired???? Well, me think that those pretty little busses will stay behind because I can drive home now. Yeah, yeah, the world says I'm "impaired" but aren't I every day anyway??

I have to be back to VGH tomorrow morning at 9:30 for another test. This is is a Pulminory Function Test. I've had one before and you just have to blow hard into a tube.

My brother left me a message that he's not coming over afterall and won't be able to help me until his next trip over....in about 3 weeks. So I'm on my own again.

Just have to share this news. I interviewed a potential housecleaner last night and we hit it off right from the start. Won't go into details but her husband is a FIREMAN ;) :D So may next year when I've gotten to know them better, I can check out a few leads. 2007 BBQ at Slick's place????? Maybe???? :p :cool: :D