PDA

View Full Version : I got bitten trying to break up a fight =(

.sarah
08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, last night everything was fine and dandy. Luka has been acting strange lately because of all of the thunderstorms we are having. My dad and I were getting ready to go out of town today and I was packing up everything. Around 2:00 am I was in the office writing a letter when I heard Mandy growl. Luka had been chewing on a Nylabone in the office with me, but when I looked she was gone. I was so scared that Luka was the one Mandy was growling at, because lately she's not backing down like she had been. When I went to go intervene, Luka was there looking at Mandy, doing nothing. I didn't say anything, just grabbed Mandy and headed off to put her in the other room with me, and Luka lunged at her. When Luka has a hold of her she will not let go, it is the scariest thing. Mandy lets go when you pull her up by the back legs, but Luka absolutely will not. My brother, mom and I all were screaming and trying to break up the fight. I was holding onto Mandy trying to get her out of there, and she bit me. I have never, ever been bitten or hurt in any way trying to break up a fight, but I really screwed up this time. My left hand has some scrapes, my left elbow is bruised and swollen, my right arm has two puncture wounds where she bit me and it is very swollen, and it hasn't stopped bleeding. My right elbow is also very swollen. I have my right arm in a sling with my hand up at my left shoulder to help prevent swelling. My arm is still bleeding and "draining". I am typing with two fingers on my left hand, which is taking forever.

My mom took me to the doctor and they had to report the bite. Animal control came by a little while ago. Mandy has to be quarantined in our house for 10 days.

Ugh, this really sucks. My vacation isn't going to be as fun now, and we have to cut it short :( I was going to go swimming (in the ocean), and now I can't without risking infection in my wounds.

Mandy knows she's in trouble (we are not actually mad, just frustrated.) Luka doesn't give two craps what's going on. Oh well.

Do y'all think that Luka doesn't back down because she was raised with wolves? Her aggression is mostly non-existent, but when she fights, it is so hard to stop. I've broken up so many dog fights, I've never met a dog so determined to kill the other. Mandy has no chance with her. Mandy always looks like she's dying when Luka gets ahold of her. Here we were, no fights since January, so I thought the pack order was resolved. Luka is just acting really funny lately because of the storms. This is so stressful!

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-09-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm so sorry :(

As far as Luka's not wanting to let go thing, it could be that she was raised with wolves but some dogs are just like that. Winston is the same way (most Dobes bite and release, he holds on forever) and he was raised with one other dog...but maybe his way of fighting occured when he was wandering and having to fight other dogs for food. I hope everything get's resolved again soon, having to deal with dog fights certainly is not fun at all..

Husky_mom
08-09-2006, 01:18 PM
I´m sorry to hear that......hope you get well soon........

and maybe all the storms, stirred up the alpha wanting of Luka, but who knows.........hope they get back to how they were

sanford8916
08-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Maybe you should call a dog trainer that has alot of experince with dogs that act that way. Our dog was bone aggessive but a trainer help us, so she is fine now! Good Luck and I hope things get better between the dogs.

k9krazee
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Oh Sarah, I'm sorry to hear that :( (((Hugs))))

pitc9
08-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with being raised with wolves. Wolves don't fight much at all inside their pack. They settle most things with a LOT of noise and the showing of dominance, with not much action.
I'm sure the thunder storms had everything to do with it.
They know pack order isn't set yet and maybe the storms threw her off a little and maybe she felt like she was vulnerable because of it and needed to be on "High Alert" because of it. Maybe she knew she was the weak on of the pack (because of the storms) and she was trying to make it seem like she wasn't. (did that make sense??) :confused: :o

I hope your wounds heal fast! :(

Aurie
08-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Here is a good place to start thinking on some things : http://www.mysmartpuppy.com/ask-us/articles/dog-aggression-basics.html

The forums from that site have some wonderful and extremely knowledgable dog trainers. I know they will advise you to also seek a trainer that is more local. The "not backing down" is a serious problem. The dog didn't even back down on you. Not good :( Please seek help before someone is seriously injured. Keep us updated too.

cyber-sibes
08-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Oh, hope your arm heals quickly, that sounds so upsetting! I don't know about other breeds, but some husky females will fight to the death. I was told this by a couple of husky breeders when I was considering whether to get a male or female to be Star's companion. (And Star did fight with my previous female dog) I think contacting a trainer is a great idea.

Ginger's Mom
08-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Oh gosh, I am so sorry Sarah. I really do not know a lot about training dogs, but it does sound like you may need to have a professional trainer come in and take a look at the dynamics in your household. I am sorry that Mandy has to be quarentined (had to do that with a foster pup once). It does make things very difficult. I really hope your wounds heal quickly and that you can have some fun and relaxation on your vacation. Positive thoughts going out for you, Mandy and Luka.

mustlovedogs
08-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Oh no! :( ((((HUGS)))) I am so sorry this happened, and you were only trying to help the poor doggies...the dogs are all ok, right?

GreyhoundGirl
08-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Yikes, that's sorta scary. I have no idea why. I am so sorry for you. Your dog was raised with wolves. Hmmmm. My mind can't come up with any ideas. If I think of any I'll tell you. Are both dogs scared of the storms, or is just one ?

Toby's my baby
08-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I am so sorry you got bitten. :( I hope your wounds heal quickly, and no more fights happen.

I have to break up quite a bit of fights here too, Autumn is the top dog, even though she was the last dog to be welcomed into our home. She gets fairly protective over me, and out little dog Boo boo doesn't back down, but he hasn't a prayer over a fight with Autumn. Just the other day I had to pull her off of him, he was just laying on his back with her "attacking him". :o Thank goodness Autumn wouldn't even dream of even growling at me.

I hope your vacation is still fun, and Luka starts to act normal again soon!

Alysser
08-09-2006, 06:08 PM
((((HUGS)))) Sarah,

Having dogs is always a challenge and this is why. I'm so sorry this happened and I'm really sorry you got hurt. I hope your vacation still goes well! I also hope the dogs are okay. Agian, I'm so sorry. That must have been scary.

lbaker
08-09-2006, 06:09 PM
OK, not to scare you but I was "accidently" bitten on the arm a few weeks ago when my ThunderMutt FREAKED during a thunder clap while I was holding him (how ironic "Thunder" :rolleyes: ) Long story short, within 24 hrs my arm was terribly infected although the small bites weren't really bad and I ended up in the hospital with intravenious antibotics being pumped into my body. I had a 24 hr stay and he too had to be under "house arrest" for 10 days. That part was no big deal but watch the bites closely. No crap... the smallest little thing can turn ugly :(

i_rescue
08-09-2006, 09:00 PM
OUCH! I can feel your pain. I feel so sorry for you. I hope there's no scaring and it heals quickly. ~HUGS~ Hope you heal soon.

.sarah
08-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone. My arm is still really swollen and sore, but I'm using it anyway.

the dogs are all ok, right?Mandy has a puncture wound, but we have her on antibiotics. Other than that everyone is fine.

OK, not to scare you but I was "accidently" bitten on the arm a few weeks ago when my ThunderMutt FREAKED during a thunder clap while I was holding him (how ironic "Thunder" :rolleyes: ) Long story short, within 24 hrs my arm was terribly infected although the small bites weren't really bad and I ended up in the hospital with intravenious antibotics being pumped into my body. I had a 24 hr stay and he too had to be under "house arrest" for 10 days. That part was no big deal but watch the bites closely. No crap... the smallest little thing can turn ugly :(Yeah, we looked up how to clean my wounds on the internet in the mean time until we could get to the doctor this morning. The doctor said we did everything she was going to do at her office. All she had to do was fit me for a sling and prescribe antibiotics.

K9karen
08-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Sara, you need to stop being jealous of me and my dog bite injury. I know you wanted to type with one hand so badly. :p

You know I'm joking. Believe me, I feel your pain and frustration. I'm so so sorry about your traumatic experience and that your vacation has been messed up. Even the slightest puncture wound can turn into a mess. RB Cody once gave me a beautiful puncture wound on my finger when he grabbed a ball at the same time I was throwing it. I ignored it, except for washing it out, but it turned into a massive case of blood poisoning. I'm glad you went to the doctor. Sorry about the house arrest. I know everyone feels awful. Try and enjoy some vacation as best as you can. Hold that arm upward, don't forget!

.sarah
08-10-2006, 05:01 PM
LOL. I confess, I wanted to be just like you! :p

My arm's not very swollen anymore. Still sore, but I'm able to use it. I've been taking pictures, and my lens on my camera is really heavy, so I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use it for a while. I can't go very long without my camera :p

CagneyDog
08-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Sorry to hear this Sarah :(

{{hugs}}

ramanth
08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm so sorry about the bite. I was bit by Logan but since he was my cat and I could vouch that he was up on his shots, I didn't have to have him put down.

My bite also got infected despite going to the hospital within the hour of being bit. I hope your heals quickly. I know how much it hurts.

Sorry your vacation will be short because of it.

*HUGS*