PDA

View Full Version : Dobermen Question

Aurie
08-09-2006, 10:00 AM
What should I know about male dobermans? The rescue for my stray dobe pup never came through and we have decided to keep him :) Just wondering what to expect as I have little experience with this breed. More people have told me they believe he is probably a mix. I am still not sure of it. But if he is, I can't even begin to guess what the other breed could be. Other then the white on his chest and nothing was docked or clipped, he looks dobbie to me ;)

Karen
08-09-2006, 10:21 AM
How old is he? Just start training now. Mix or not, he'll grow to be a big, strong dog, so you want thing like obedience and leash manners taught right now, while you still physically have the upper hand. And he'll probably be very smart, so be prepared to keep him busy - a bored up is a destructive pup!

Aurie
08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
He is about 3-4 months old. We have started some very basics with him. I do need to get him out on a leash. Will be getting him his own leash tomorrow. I am excited about that for him. I just know very little about the breed other then prejudiced opinions similiar to many of the other 'protection/working/police' breeds. I had read there can be a problem with male/male dog aggression with the dobes. He will be neutered in a couple of months so that should help there. Wondering if there is any other positives or negatives I should know about this breed. :)

Danegirl2208
08-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Dobermans are great natured dogs, there CAN be male/male aggression among them just like in any other breed..just make sure to socialize him tons and you will most likely have a well rounded pup on your hands :) Training is a MUST obviously, dobies are a lot of dog for some people to handle, so get him into training while hes still small. Remeber not to let him do anything you wouldnt want a muscular, 70lb full grown dog doing.. jumping and play biting is never accepatable..good luck and we'd love to see pics!!

you said hes probably a mix, but heres some info on the doberman breed
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1878/dobefaq.html
http://www.dpca.org/DobeAbout.html
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/doberman.htm

Aurie
08-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for those links. I was really looking at him last night and I think he is mixed with a pitbull type.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-10-2006, 10:16 AM
My uncle had a Doberman and she was the best natured dog I've ever met! Good luck with your boy

BOBS DAD
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Don't play chase him/he chases you games with him.... because it is tons of fun and he will really like it. BUT when he grows up, he will think everyone "just loves" him "chasing them". And when they run - which they will, by the way (regardless of all the advice to the contrary) he'll just chase them harder and run even faster. And then all the neighbors will be afraid of him... they will "make up stories" about him on Cub Scout outings while sitting around the fire and "everyone will know 'someone' who was actually caught and eaten by him".