PDA

View Full Version : Stolen!!

elizabethann
08-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Our receptionist sent this to me. She says it's true. She said it's on Snopes.com or something.

A woman said her son found his license plate missing so he called the police to file a report. They told him people were stealing the plates to get free gas. Given the rise in gas prices, people have taken to stealing license plates, putting them on their car, then getting gas and running. The gas station will have "your" license plate # and you could be in trouble for "pump and run." Check your car periodically to be sure you still have a plate. If you should find it missing, file a report immediately!!!
Keep an eye on your license plate! Make sure you always know it's there! When the license plate is reported as the "drive off vehicle", it's YOU they contact! Be aware!!!! Be aware of your license plates, most of us never look to see if they're there.

Dorothy39
08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
:eek: Good Heavens!!!!! :eek: But, doesn't the proof that YOUR car does not have a plate , stand for anything on your behalf? I sure hope so :eek:

Lady's Human
08-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Funnym if the plates on my car were missing I'd notice it in less than a second (military conditioning, before going anywhere do a walk around of the vehicle)

Report your plates stolen the minute you see it.

Your plate are far more likely to be stolen as a cover for a stolen vehicle than they are for a gas station drive off.

Craftlady
08-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Below is from Snopes.com Full story LicencePlates (http://www.snopes.com/autos/theft/gastheft.asp) So, if your licence plate is stolen it's probably NOT going to be for gas usage. Here in Kentucky, we only use 1 plate (in rear) so it would be really dumb of someone to use a stolen plate. A person is going to notice if it's missing way faster than car that requires 2 plates.

Therefore, while the warning being spread in e-mail is valid, it is not one that needs be spread to one's nearest and dearest at the speed of light. The ill-intentioned do make off with license plates, but it is much more likely purloined tags will be used to disguise stolen vehicles being moved from one location to another or armed robbery getaway cars than they will to obscure the identities of those filching gas. If not to protect yourself from accusations of gas theft, if you discover one of your tags has gone missing, you should certainly notify police, because by so doing you might be helping to foil a far more serious crime in progress.

lizbud
08-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Wow, that's something I never think to check on.I do keep the registration
in the car, so I could prove I had brought a plate, but what a hassle.

We did have a rash of of Air Conditioners vandalized by people just to steal
and re-sell the copper tubing inside. :eek:

caseysmom
08-09-2006, 04:25 PM
There is not one gas station here in California that will let you get gas before paying so I guess I won't have to worry about that.

catnapper
08-09-2006, 05:02 PM
There is not one gas station here in California that will let you get gas before paying so I guess I won't have to worry about that.
Same here in Pennsylvania, at least none that I've ever visited (though I HAVE gotten lucky to get the gas of someone who paid and forgot to pump it ;) )

Roxyluvsme13
08-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Wow.. My mom does think someone is stealing our gas from our car though.. Sometimes after she's just filled it up, the next morning it's on empty again :/

Craftlady
08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Wow.. My mom does think someone is stealing our gas from our car though.. Sometimes after she's just filled it up, the next morning it's on empty again :/

You can buy locked gas caps for cars (they require a key for entry). I've used them before and they aren't expensive to buy. I'd recommend getting one for your mom's car.

Roxyluvsme13
08-09-2006, 05:22 PM
You can buy locked gas caps for cars (they require a key for entry). I've used them before and they aren't expensive to buy. I'd recommend getting one for your mom's car.
Yeah, she said she was going to do that when she got paid.

Sevaede
08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Below is from Snopes.com Full story LicencePlates (http://www.snopes.com/autos/theft/gastheft.asp) So, if your licence plate is stolen it's probably NOT going to be for gas usage. Here in Kentucky, we only use 1 plate (in rear) so it would be really dumb of someone to use a stolen plate. A person is going to notice if it's missing way faster than car that requires 2 plates.

Here in Louisiana, I believe only 1 is required but some use two. The other folks leave their second one (usually the one on the back end) off or get one of those fancy ones. Also, they have the types of vehicle that your car is printed on your plater. For example, Truck, Private, Public Transportation (I think), etc.