PDA

View Full Version : Fluffy update - prayers needed!

Catsnclay
08-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Earlier this year we found out that our Fluffy who found us 17 years ago (and the vets thought he was around 2 then) has the start of kidney failure.

He has been receiving Sub Q's once a week and I was told to feed him anytime he was hungry - so hard to do when Lucky is on a diet :rolleyes: but we are managing.

Yesterday we went back to the vet's, and I thought Fluffy was doing much better, his disposition had been better, more awake and sociable. But I was wrong :(

The first set of blood tests put him in the "mild to moderate" catagory. Yesterday we got the bad news, he now is in the "moderate to bad" catagory and we now have to give him the fluids twice a week. I just want to cry - for him. :(

My poor "old man" is not doing as good as we thought. I was quite surprised when Tim (my husband) stayed in the room while they showed me, again how to give him fluids. Tim is the kind that sees a needle and passes out, but he really did well.....better than me! :eek:

Now that Fluffy has to be on fluids x2 weekly they highly recommended that we do it at home, something I was putting off for as long as I could. I know how to do them, that was not the problem, I did them x2 weekly for 6 months with Lucky. But Lucky was much fatter, Fluffy is really down to skin and bones, and I am SO afraid of hurting him, that is my reasoning for not doing it, but I guess I 'have' to now.

Please send your wonderful PT prayers Fluffy's way, and let's hope he gets back into that "mild to moderate" range again! Fluffy thanks you in advance!!

aki
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
We will be praying for Fluffy to get better soon!

~Aki :D

Donnaj4962
08-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Lots of prayers for Fluffy coming from Indiana!

RedHedd
08-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Lots of Prayers for Fluffy and you too. My Mishi is a kidney cat too and there have been times when I had to give him SubQ fluids twice a day. Kidney cats do tend to protein waste and get very thin. I had no problems giving him the fluids and he was SO good in letting me, but then the big goon just loves me and will let me do almost anything (except clip his claws :rolleyes: ) You do get used to it. Think of it as extra special time with your kitty and just treasure the moments you have together.

Zippy
08-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I will keep Fluffy in my prayers.

jenluckenbach
08-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Many prayers for Fluffy. And you WILL do fine! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Just remember this, his tests may not be as good as you hoped, but Fluffy feels and acts good. Can you really ask for more?

catmandu
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
And Prayers, of course from the Found Cats and Porch Cats that your senior Kitty Zen Fluffy is going to spend as much time with you as possible.
Mr Fluffy Angel will vist and help anyway he can.

G535
08-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Fingers and claws crossed that Fluffy is going to be ok. :)

momcat
08-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Prayers being prayed for Fluffy. [[[ HUGS]]] being sent for you. Please let us know how Fluffy is doing?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Just remember this, his tests may not be as good as you hoped, but Fluffy feels and acts good. Can you really ask for more?

I couldn't agree more, Jen! Bunny, I'm so sorry Fluffy is doing worse than you thought. Terry doesn't quite pass out of the site of a needle, but he is such a softy that he couldn't stand the idea of giving the fluids to Tubby....at first. The first day we had to do it ourselves, I got up early and did it myself. Just as we were finishing up, Terry got up and was hurt that I didn't include him. He overcame his own squeamishness because he knew it's what Tubby needed - he wanted to be there not only for Tubby, but for me since he knew how much Tubby meant to me. I'm sure Tim is feeling the same way.

Ask your vet about potassium supplements also. Seems that kidney cats loose a lot of potassium. The instant my vet saw Tubby, he knew he was low on potassium because he was so weak. Since Fluffy is looking and acting normal, he might not have this problem yet, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the vet about it so you and he are prepared if Fluffy does need the supplements in the future.

I know you and Tim will do fine with giving the fluids. You will find that Fluffy really doesn't mind, and he (Fluffy) might even learn to realize that after the fluids he feels a lot better.

{{{hugs}}} to you, Tim and sweet smoochies to Fluffy. Hang in there because as you know, bad kidneys are not an automatic death sentence. Fluffy could be around for years yet - just like Filou. ;)

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Bunny, I'm sorry to hear that Fluffy isn't doing as well as you thought.:( You'll get used to giving him the sub-q fluids and hopefully Tim will also be able to you out. I'm glad that Fluffy is acting and feeling well and I hope and pray that he continues to do so for many more years to come. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Barbara
08-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Oh Bunny, I'm so sorry to hear this. But look it's only "moderate to bad", not all bad- plus he's acting fine.

My sweet ten year old Filou who is too much of a wiggleworm to get shots from us sends headbumpies to Fluffy..

AbbyMom
08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Prayers on the way and hugs for both of you.

rg_girlca
08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I will be praying for your precious Fluffy and for you, that you have many more years together.

((((((HUGS))))))

Randi
08-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm so sorry to hear Fluffy has into the moderate/bad category. :( I really really hope the fluids will help him get better and you will have him around for a long time yet!

(((hugs)))

Catsnclay
08-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Thank you so much everyone for the well wishes, it makes me feel better already! :D

Just remember this, his tests may not be as good as you hoped, but Fluffy feels and acts good. Can you really ask for more? - You are SO right Jen, he fooled the both of us, so I guess he is doing fine.

Ask your vet about potassium supplements also. - Oops! Forgot to mention that he has a special cocktail mixture in his fluids, and it does include potassium - but thanks Debbie for alerting me to that.

Its funny, Tim is becoming the "strong" one in this instance, but then again Fluffy is his cat. Many years ago when we first got together I noticed he had a stray hanging around in his backyard. Well, I feed all furry creatures, so I ran up to the store and bought a bag of food and began feeding Fluffy. He was very grateful and started hanging out more & more in Tim's backyard. He also brought me lots special prizes and different things (along with the normal 1/2 dead birds & lizards, I also got a Barbie head!) When we sat in the Jacuzzi, Fluffy would sit at the edge with us, then when we got out he nestled in one of our laps for a nap. When I moved in along with Willie (my kittie at the time) I was afraid that Willie and Fluffy would not get along, but eventually they did.

Tim was the one that named him "Fluffy" and they had this strong bond from the very beginning. So now that we have had many long and wonderful years with such a loving kitty, I think Tim feels that this is what he needs to do for Fluffy. It is very sweet, but sad, too :(

<HOW do you guys get different quotes to show up in your replies? I can't figure that out yet..........I know - I'm blonde :rolleyes: >

K & L
08-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Oh Bunny I'm so sorry. I'm just now reading this since I cannot frequent from work. I have very little time now to post or reply. We're here for you if you need us. I know Fluffy is in the best of hands and has had such a wonderful life with you both. Give him a kiss and hug from us.