PDA

View Full Version : What breeds is my mutt?

jayb
08-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I just rescued Murphy, a very sweet stray, through a local shelter. I think he's about a year old. I've attached a picture. This seems to be his favorite position so far.

Can anyone help identify what breeds he might be? I know the picture isn't great. You can't see his hind legs and tail. His tail is all white, arches over his back, and has lots of long, feathery, white fur. He also has quite a bit of long white fur on his rear end and hind legs. He looks like he might be part retriever on the backend.

Face, muzzle and ears remind me a bit of a german shepherd.

Thanks

JayB

IRescue452
08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
If he were all orange I'd say it was a golden retriever laying there. I'll guess golden/collie.

BOBS DAD
08-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I say Retriever and Border Collie... and maybe some shephard in there!

Karen
08-08-2006, 02:41 PM
How big is he? About how tall, how much does he weigh ...

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-08-2006, 02:59 PM
It's hard to tell since he's laying down, sleeping, but I'd say he's probably a Golden/Border Collie mix..

BOBS DAD
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
If he were all orange I'd say it was a golden retriever laying there. I'll guess golden/collie.

Yeah... I guess you could say that he definitely resembles a Golden...

One of the first things anyone can do when trying guess their dogs breed is to try and strip him of any of his markings. Since color can be picked up by an intoduction of any cross breeding, it is sometimes helpful to imagine that your dog was colored similarly to the breed that his body shape and coat type most closely resembles. SEE PHOTO ATTACHED!!!

With that said... there are also certain things to look for when assessing the color - such as brindling, marleing, flecking and ticks - to mention a few, that may be tailtail (get it - tailtail) signs of ancestry. I do think your boy sure looks like he could be a Golden!!!

Husky_mom
08-08-2006, 03:08 PM
WOW you amaze me everytime BOBS DAD!!!!! nice job!!!

could it be a golden/saint or perhaps some border collie as Tango??

k9krazee
08-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Wow, Dan, that's awesome!!

My guess would also be Golden/Border Collie.

cali
08-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Sheltie/BC? he looks remarkably like Zoe http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=200875

Husky_mom
08-08-2006, 04:13 PM
oh yeah!!! cutie Tango cousin!! LOL they have this cutesy face

IShowDogsForFun
08-10-2006, 11:52 PM
I would have to say he has some Saint bernerd in him