PDA

View Full Version : What type of treats do all of you feed your dogs

MajesticCollies
08-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Just wondering what kind of treats everyone feeds thier Canine Friends. I usually buy pig ears, cow hooves, or give them a beef soup bone. Once in a while I will buy some holistic treats but the collies are so picky. I'm sure they would love some of those marketed treats with BHA and BHT but I refuse to buy those tastey little morsals.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/majesticcollies/ATT1.jpg

sparks19
08-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Teddy likes Snausages and milkbones. He likes bones as long as they aren't raw bones for some reason. he will chew rawhides and nylabones and such but no raw bones. He used to like pigs ears but doesn't so much anymore.

CathyBogart
08-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I give Star and Wilbur raw chicken as treats usually, I chop it up into cubes and freeze it. Raw pork is their FAVORITE treat, but it gives them the runs even in moderation, so teeny bits of it are reserved when I'm making pork for dinner.

Vela
08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
I make homemade frosty paws with yogurt, peanut butter, and banana, and I give them bully sticks or raw bones.

elizabethann
08-08-2006, 02:33 PM
LOL. I love that picture. It's so funny!

Fenway gets some Solid Gold Beef Jerky. Sometimes he gets cheese or cottage cheese too.

Pembroke_Corgi
08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
They get a little bit of everything...my dogs aren't too picky. They all love peanut butter and cheese, and I've purchased nearly every kind of commercial treat on the market at one time. I really like Zuke's brand treats for cats and dogs, though.

cyber-sibes
08-08-2006, 03:10 PM
I give them a variety of treats. They especially like those crunchie things like pork rinds, Yummie Chummies, and t-bonz. But every night they get peanut butter spread on a milk-bone. That's how they know it's bedtime!

Dorothy39
08-08-2006, 04:36 PM
I have several grand doggies, and different treats for each one of them. Hexay and Kasha are older, so , they get Milk Bone Senior, thin rawhide chews, pieces of canned salmon , etc.

Lillie is a teenager now, and she begs for the little bones that I bought at Soldan's Pet Store. I have a seperate box of Goodies for her.

Miura, a Chihuahua, loves Greenies , and the tiny little flavored bones from the Pet Store.. She will eat just about anything, from tomatoes to green pepper. She also knows there is food in the refrigerater :eek:

mustlovedogs
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Rascal and Ellie both absolutely LOVE Beggin' Strips and Beggin' Wraps. They also like Scooby Milkbone Treats, and Milkbones. :)

Daisy and Delilah
08-08-2006, 05:13 PM
My girls love chicken strips, beggin strips, lammy wammys, and liva-snaps. I forgot frosty paws. :)

gardengirl
08-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, Cody (my old boy) is on a restricted diet so he only gets duck. I just found some duck breast jerkey from Dogswell Happy Hips. He loves it!

I feed Bailey all kinds of treats, but I stay away from heavy preservatives. He gets Buddy Biscuits and Paul Newman treats. He really loves a bite of banana every morning and then he shares a salad with me every afternoon. While I'm making my salad, he gets a couple pieces of broccoli, carrots, pea pods, and he will even eat a tomato. I think he's pretty healthy!

binka_nugget
08-08-2006, 05:58 PM
My boys get a huge variety of treats! We have to try all the treats with human quality ingredients at least once. Kai's favorite (commercial) treats are freeze dried liver and Marrobone (Kaedyn doesn't have a favorite :p). I bought a 20 dollar tub of the liver which has lasted us forever! The Marrobone, I hate to admit, isn't even close to the quality of their other treats.. but Kai loves them so much that he still gets the odd one here and there (2 a month.. max!) I mainly use it for when he shows outstanding recall, or when we're desensitizing outside. They also get rollover for agility and obedience training. I'm about to switch over to Natural Balance after we finish this last bit.. as NB is much better, ingredient-wise.

They get cut up bits of cheese for agility training, as well as recall and newer commands. Cheese is the only reward Kai will really work his butt off for in agility.

Aurie
08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
I give the pack bacon strips. But they rarely get them. I break them into small bites and give that way for bedtime, or being particularly good ;) I use cooked hamburger for training. I can break that down into small pieces without worrying about overfeeding or upsetting their tummies too much.

bckrazy
08-08-2006, 06:24 PM
For training, they get a mixture of cheese, Redbarn/Natural Balance soft rolls, or hotdog, minced up in cubes. They l o v e all of these, but I keep the cheese & hotdog in moderation because it's pretty fattening.

At home, they get dehydrated chicken breast, OMH mint or peanut butter biscuits, Charlee bear treats, home-made liver or peanut butter treats, home-made fruit & yogurt frosty paws, etc! Fozzie gets a Kong stuffed & frozen with muscle meats & pureed veggies & egg & other good stuff almost every day.

=D for chewing, they of course get a big variety of RMB's every day - today they each got pork ribs, and for dinner they each split a turkey breast w/ bone, which provides lots of chewing. I wouldn't consider what they eat everyday a "treat". Around the house through out the day Fozzie has access to a few bully stix, a bunch of dried cow tails, and occasionally lamb & pig ears.

I wonder why so many people have problems with feeding pork? Crazy. My 2 have zero side affects, even from eating lots of pork in one day. I rarely feed a bunch of pork muscle meat... maybe that's it? I usually feed pork ribs, femur, or shoulder with bone-in, and sometimes feet.

Danegirl2208
08-08-2006, 08:23 PM
I have freeze dried liver treats right now..my aunt makes her own dog treats (peanut butter, beef and chicken flavor) for her dogs, and of course Gunther and Sammy dont mind sharing with my 2, so i always have a big baggie of those around

zoomer
08-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Georgia doesn't really like dog treats, so I mostly feed her hot dogs and cheese. She probably won't eat dog treats because she's so used to be feeding her people food :rolleyes: . Alaska eats Snausages and those doggy bacon treats, I also feed him hot dogs and turkey every once and a while. Buddy eats pretty much whatever we feed him, but some of the ones we feed him most often are Pupcorn, Snasages, and the doggy bacon. He loves those doggy liver treats, too, but he doesn't get them very often. My brother is the one who "trains" him most often so I don't really know about what he gets alot. When he comes when I call him when he tends to try to run away, I feed him cheese or a cracker. He likes those.

GreyhoundGirl
08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Jen loves her Chew-ezz ! She can't go a day without them. :rolleyes:

luvofallhorses
08-08-2006, 08:33 PM
pig ears, scooby snacks, canine carry outs, and milkbones :)

RobiLee
08-09-2006, 06:38 AM
My girls are pretty easy to please with treats. The one treat that we always have on hand at all times are milk bones. I buy the small-medium ones in the different flavors. Occasionally I will buy some other stuff. They really love their pig's ears too.

I wanted to add that I also make homemade treats for them and I think those are the ones they love the best.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-09-2006, 07:56 AM
I usually buy Newman's Own.

Every afternoon I eat a snack, always some kind of fruit, the dogs always get some too. They all LOVE canalope, which is what they all ate yesterday. I have a banana that needs to be eaten, so they'll get that today (except for Nova, she doesn't like bananas, she'll get more canalope).

managemysite
08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Beautiful Dog... Um I usually buy anything thats not rawhide... But mine loves all the big chewy bones.. Like
Busy Bone chew or dental bone.. , Waggin Train Brand ( Porkhide Twists or Chicken Strips ) High in protein Low Fat ...
Purina has a new one out its called Beggin Chew ( I gave that to my boy today he loved it.. ) He also loves the
chew-lotta bone Meaty Bone Brand ....
But it's mainly up to you and what you want to feed and give your dog... Good Luck

pitc9
08-09-2006, 03:09 PM
For a dog that was dumped in the woods and lived on his own for a few months Buddy is VERY picky when it comes to treats!! :rolleyes:
I have left treats like Nawesomes, t-bones, carry outs, etc... in his crate and have come back home a few hours later and he never touch them. Poor Sierra I'm sure is drooling staring at them from inside her crate. Because the second I open her crate she runs into his crate and eats the treats that have been sitting there all day long!! :D
He has two treats that he'll eat up right away. Pigs Ears and small/med multi flavored milk bones. The only other thing he'll eat once in a while are Snausages, but not just ANY .... he'll only eat the pack with the shapes. (mail man, fire hydrant, etc.) He's a picky one I tell ya!
Sierra... she'll eat anything you give her!

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Tia will only eat soft.chewy chicken treats by milk-bone. Winston has to have a treat mid-day, or else he throws up so we usually buy him vita-bones as he likes them the most. Tango & Morgan also soetimes get vita-bones, but most of the time for a treat I'll just give them an apple quarter or a few baby carrots.

For training treats I use pieces of chicken (Tango responds best to this), Natural Balance food rolls, or pieces of cheese.

kufan
08-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Beggin' Strips, Beggin' Strips, Beggin' Strips!!!!!! :)

Suki Wingy
08-09-2006, 03:34 PM
His favorites are Authority and Bil-Jac and AKC brands liver treats, but he loves pretty much any soft treat too. Especially cheese flavored and liver. He loves marrow pig bones and those little rawhide twists too. He won't eat hard biscuit type treats and sometimes he just randomly decides one breand isn't good enough for him so I usually stick to his 3 favorites.

BCollie_Kelly
08-09-2006, 09:53 PM
We use Natural Balance food rolls usually as the dogs love it and its easy to cut up and store, though at times they get hot dogs and cheese too... :)

lisahumphreys882
08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Benji eats just about anything I give him. He particularily likes, I think they're cooked, pork bones. For the usual treat I give him milk bones, Chewriffic Sp? which comes in either cheese and bacon or cheese and beef. And when we have left overs, such as, cheese or cooked meat like steak or chicken he really likes that. Oh and he also loves bananas. :)

wolfsoul
08-09-2006, 11:21 PM
For training I use a huge mixture of soft treats. I swear the surprise factor is great when training -- with each praise, she never knows what she's gonna get. :p

I try to stay as healthy as possible and I always chop the treats into as tiny pieces as I can.

Cheese, Bone Appetit training treats, Natural Balance rolls, Rollover, Buddy's Jerky, NRG Dehydrated chicken or salmon, and basically any treat with okay ingredients. Alot of the time I include pieces of my own food.

For things other than training, there are hard biscuits which Visa doesn't really enjoy much but will occasionally eat anyways. Right now we have Natural Balance Duck & Potato (no grains). We usually have bully sticks. I'm always trying different chews to see which ones she likes best. We usually have something on hand.

dukedogsmom
08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Duke adores K9 Carryouts (Chicken kind, they smell so good!) and the TBonz ones. He also likes a few bites of Doogie's Whiskas Temptations in the yellow package. We give them to him last for his night night treat.

BC_MoM
08-10-2006, 12:30 AM
The M&M's love Alpo Snaps and Pedigree Marrowbone cookies.

I_luv_rusty
08-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Rusty like milkbones, t-bonez, beggin' strips, snausages,busy bone,rawhides,chew a lot bone, these dog safe chocolate mints, scooby snacks. He loves lots of treats theres too many to name, and they have werid names. He loves all sandwhich meats too as treats. :D