PDA

View Full Version : **House Sitters/Pet Sitters**

elizabethann
08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Do you house or pet sit (perhaps both) as a career? If so, how much do you charge?

I'm thinking of getting into the house/pet sitting business. I would be available to go to someone's home & take care of everything (pets, pool, yard, mail, newspapers, etc.) and I would be available to sleep in someone's home (live there until the owner(s) comes back).

Does anybody do this now? I do it for friends & co-workers. I don't charge anybody right now. I figure I can use these people as references in the future.

If anybody can give me an idea as to how much I should charge for my services, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

moosmom
08-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Elizabethann,

I pet sit as well, for friends and family. I've put up flyers in grocery stores, work bulletin boards, anywhere that people will look. I usually charge $12/day for 2/day visits depending upon where they are located. If I have to travel a ways, I ask that they also include gas money, since gas prices are totally outrageous. I go to their homes ahead of time to meet the pet and learn where all the supplies are located.

I use my previous jobs as references and they in turn, spread the word to their pet owning friends. Good jobs make the words travel quickly!!

Good luck in your new adventure!!

elizabethann
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
I go to their homes ahead of time to meet the pet and learn where all the supplies are located.

Thanks for the reply. Question, do you charge them for the time you took to meet the pet & learn about the pet & where the supplies are located?

Thanks again!

ParNone
08-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi Elizabethann,

I've been doing a lil' research into this business for myself. What I did was do a search on the internet for Pet sitters in my area, to get a feel for services offered and prices.

On the low end, it was $15 a visit, not a day, for up to 3 pets. The prices went up as the number of pets went up. Also, a visit was approx 30 mins long.

You don't want to undervalue yourself, one because you'll be worth it and two because I think psychologically people equate quality with price. You don't want to over price either, so I'd do an internet search and get a feel for what others in your area are charging.

Les...

moosmom
08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Question, do you charge them for the time you took to meet the pet & learn about the pet & where the supplies are located?

Nope. That's a freebie.

Les is right, you also need to get the feel for prices by other pet sitters in your area. I was low-balling it because I've only done it for friends a family. Strangers or clients are another story. I would also look into boarding costs and try to reach a reasonable price. This way if they say it's too much, you can argue that boarding their pet would cost them far more and they'd be taking the chance of stressing their pet out and contracting fleas, etc. Explain the benefits of a pet sitter vs. boarding.

Cataholic
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I payed USD 17/day for a daily visit- 5 cats, last month.

Queen of Poop
08-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Last summer I had a pet sitter for the ferrets. She charged $30 per day. She never showed up on the weekend though and my boys went without for 2 days so I was not very happy with her and will not use her again.

elizabethann
08-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Last summer I had a pet sitter for the ferrets. She charged $30 per day. She never showed up on the weekend though and my boys went without for 2 days so I was not very happy with her and will not use her again.

That's awful. Poor little boys. :(

Did she have a business? If so, you could have called the Better Business Bureau & put in a complaint about her.

beeniesmom
08-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Theonly local dogsitting company around here charges 35 a day and they supposedly walk the dogs 3 times a day. My neighbor uses them all the time but I never see the dogs getting walked...???

I would charge at least 25-30 dollars a day for such a service.